Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Norcold re error on Ac Will not run on inverter

Runs on propane fine
When trying to run on electric it
1) Runs on shore power and
2) generator but 3) shows re error on inverter.

And no getting a residential isn’t the answer I’m looking for.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The outlet providing power to the Fridge is not powered with the inverter, have to run it on propane or run a power line to the outlet from the inverter.

It takes pennies to run the fridge off of propane
Old 11-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

Norcold 'AC' 'rE' error code.........any time AC heater current is sensed on when it is supposed to be off.

Translation:
Power board AC heater relay contacts stuck in the closed position.
AC current to heaters is being sensed by the control
Solution:
Replace circuit board

Now IF you actually have fridge plugged into an outlet that is fed from inverter it isn't working.....circuit board doesn't like the inverter AC
IF you don't have fridge plugged into an outlet that is fed from an inverter the fridge should swap to GAS with no AC available

Fridge works on propane and AC from shore or generator.
Call it Good and forget about using Inverter Power
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Did you confirm whether you have two plugs behind refer. One on inverter one not. That is what my Diplomat has. Theory is inverter plug is for ice maker when boondocking
Old 11-28-2018, 05:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post
Did you confirm whether you have two plugs behind refer. One on inverter one not. That is what my Diplomat has. Theory is inverter plug is for ice maker when boondocking
But you would think it would be great for driving also to have the inverter power the fridge with the engine running down the road.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
But you would think it would be great for driving also to have the inverter power the fridge with the engine running down the road.

We run ours on propane when not connected to shore power. Even while driving, even though some say it’s dangerous. Always have without problem.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Norcold 'AC' 'rE' error code.........any time AC heater current is sensed on when it is supposed to be off.

Translation:
Power board AC heater relay contacts stuck in the closed position.
AC current to heaters is being sensed by the control
Solution:
Replace circuit board

Now IF you actually have fridge plugged into an outlet that is fed from inverter it isn't working.....circuit board doesn't like the inverter AC
IF you don't have fridge plugged into an outlet that is fed from an inverter the fridge should swap to GAS with no AC available

Fridge works on propane and AC from shore or generator.
Call it Good and forget about using Inverter Power

Thanks
My manual says I can run it on the inverter with the alternator running. Been doing that for a few years. I did just replace the board (with one I got from a friend that trashed their norcold) and now that I think about it I didn’t test the replacement board using the inverter.

Interesting....the last two drives...it would not even run on propane while driving but would run with the generator on.
Now it runs on propane? I’ll have to start it and see if it runs in propane with the inverter on. I’ll check both outlets voltage too with my rms meter. House batteries are a bit older maybe they don’t like the inverter load?

If it’s a stuck Ac relay why would it run on shore power and the generator but not on the inverter?

I found a board reset procedure I can try.

[mod edit]

http://manuals.chudov.com/RV/Norcold...ing-Manual.pdf
Old 11-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Thanks
My manual says I can run it on the inverter with the alternator running. Been doing that for a few years. I did just replace the board (with one I got from a friend that trashed their norcold) and now that I think about it I didn’t test the replacement board using the inverter.

Interesting....the last two drives...it would not even run on propane while driving but would run with the generator on.
Now it runs on propane? I’ll have to start it and see if it runs in propane with the inverter on. I’ll check both outlets voltage too with my rms meter. House batteries are a bit older maybe they don’t like the inverter load?

If it’s a stuck Ac relay why would it run on shore power and the generator but not on the inverter?

I found a board reset procedure I can try.

[mod edit]

http://manuals.chudov.com/RV/Norcold...ing-Manual.pdf

Reset procedure...hard reset where you jumper the pin to ground
THAT is for a reset of circuit board for a 'No Co' error.....cooling unit NOT cooling down

As for swapped circuit boards....
Norcold 1200 uses a #624869 board
Norcold 1210 uses a #628661 board

Which bd are you using currently
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
"Interesting....the last two drives...it would not even run on propane while driving but would run with the generator on.
Now it runs on propane? I’ll have to start it and see if it runs in propane with the inverter on. I’ll check both outlets voltage too with my rms meter. House batteries are a bit older maybe they don’t like the inverter load?"

I have found I have to have the inverter turned off, put the fridge on propane, (not auto) and then you can use the inverter without the error...but the fridge is still running on propane.

Note: I also run my fridge on propane going down the road. I believe if you keep the outside fridge compartment clean of dust and dirt there is not much chance of having a problem...fire.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post
We run ours on propane when not connected to shore power. Even while driving, even though some say it’s dangerous. Always have without problem.

What’s so dangerous running on propane while driving. That’s what they are designed to do. Just be certain the Norcold is well maintained and a ARP safety shut off is in place.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
What’s so dangerous running on propane while driving. That’s what they are designed to do. Just be certain the Norcold is well maintained and a ARP safety shut off is in place.

Dave. Here’s a story for you. We attended the FMCA rally in Gillette earlier this summer. I attended a safety seminar and the presenter was adamant that you should not travel with the refer running on propane, but then proceeded to tell us that he does because his wife likes her refrigerator cold.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Op reporting in. Norcold 1200 would run on ac shore power, ac generator power but not msw inverter power?
Had 120 volts at plug on msw inverter. HE error on norcold indicates heating element problem or failed in open position. Elements both ohm at 61 ohms with 58-68 ohm acceptable level? I replaced the rear control board and it fixed the problem.
Now I see a relay on the bad board that controls the ac current to the heaters. I’m going to desolder that little relay and see if it fixes the board. There’s a big resister next to the relay that gets really hot. I’m going to solder some legs on it to stand it off the board so it can cool. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6055.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	231213Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6058.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	231214Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6057.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	470.7 KB
ID:	231215
Old 01-07-2019, 05:48 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Please update what you find.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #14

Refer

Sounds as if control board may be bad. I do not known where you live but if you live not too far away from NW Indiana. Have JC refrigeration convert the refrigerator to a 12 volt residential refrigerator. Will have hard ice- cream. Has a 12 volt compressor low voltage draw and no additional batteries or invertor. needed.

They will also ship. Ask them about your problem they are helpful!!!

6495 W 200 N, Shipshewana, IN 46565
Phone: (260) 768-4067
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, norcold