Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Norcold Refrigerator

Need to find new or used Norcold 1200lrim.Ours is leaking ammonia gas. We have a Monaco Dynasty 2001.
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There are cooling units being manufactured by the Amish. RV cooling unit sells these. They are of a heavier quality than the Norcold unit. I would not replace any Norcold unit with the same norcold unit. Thee have been too many cases of fires. If your unit is leaking ammonia shut it down until you can ge it repaired. There have been several recalls on the 1200 to cause the unit to shutdown. Have you had these recalls done.

The Amish unit sells for 1025,00 and will cost you 5-6 hours of labor to have a RV service center to replace it.

Here is the url; RV Cooling Unit Warehouse LLC Product List

This would be a lot better than buying a used 1200 that may still have problems.
pcarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ammonia leak...the kiss of death for the RV frig. There are a few places around the country that are capable of repairing one, but I would not waste the money on a Norcold unit. Go with the Amish cooling unit or get a whole new Dometic to replace the NoTcold.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
Need to find new or used Norcold 1200lrim.Ours is leaking ammonia gas. We have a Monaco Dynasty 2001.
I just checked your location and decided its probably too far for you to come get my used Norcold 1200lrim. I'm replacing it with a residential refer and you might consider doing the same.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Did it start leaking after they did the recall and put the "shut down" box on it?
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Did it start leaking after they did the recall and put the "shut down" box on it?
Hi can you tell me what this shut down box is? we live in England and i had to export from American to England a new cooling unit as ours had packed up, we have the 1200lrim now i am a bit concerned that we may need this modification.

Thanks
Lorraine
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I just checked your location and decided its probably too far for you to come get my used Norcold 1200lrim. I'm replacing it with a residential refer and you might consider doing the same.
Got a used one in my garage too. New cooling unit last fall.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
Hi can you tell me what this shut down box is? we live in England and i had to export from American to England a new cooling unit as ours had packed up, we have the 1200lrim now i am a bit concerned that we may need this modification.

Thanks
Lorraine
Lorraine,

You need to Google Norcold and find their 1-800 number and call them. Tell them you have the Norcold 1200 and it does not have the recall installed. They will ask you to locate the serial number of the frig and the serial number of the cooling unit. If they don't already know of an RV service center near you they may ask for that information. At no cost to you they should ship the necessary parts to perform the recall to a service center in your area for installation on your unit. The Norcold 1200 is prone to develop fractures in the cooling unit tubing thus releasing ammonia gas. If an ignition source is present a fire will start and burn up your RV. Do not take this lightly as it is a serious situation. The shut down box monitors the temperature of the cooling unit and will disable the frig when the temp reaches a predetermined level. If that happens the frig will no longer operate until the cooling unit is replaced. That is a better situation than having an RV fire.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Lorraine,

You need to Google Norcold and find their 1-800 number and call them. Tell them you have the Norcold 1200 and it does not have the recall installed. They will ask you to locate the serial number of the frig and the serial number of the cooling unit. If they don't already know of an RV service center near you they may ask for that information. At no cost to you they should ship the necessary parts to perform the recall to a service center in your area for installation on your unit. The Norcold 1200 is prone to develop fractures in the cooling unit tubing thus releasing ammonia gas. If an ignition source is present a fire will start and burn up your RV. Do not take this lightly as it is a serious situation. The shut down box monitors the temperature of the cooling unit and will disable the frig when the temp reaches a predetermined level. If that happens the frig will no longer operate until the cooling unit is replaced. That is a better situation than having an RV fire.

Bob
Bob thanks for all this information i will get onto this straight away.

Regards
Lorraine
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

Norcold has this problem with their units we need to get together and file a lawsuit against norcold because they know they have a problem with the 1200 but they won't help with any of the cost to replace. I'm replacing mine with the Amish Unit
don11d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We are in the process of taking ours out and it worked when we turned it off. Knoxville may be a bit far for you to drive but ours will be available soon.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #12

My wife and I just replaced the Norcold cooling unit ourselves with the "Amish" unit. We are pretty handy with tools and did it in three days. Also added four extra cooling fans in the roof vent above fridge. Wasn't a easy job but now we understand the workings of a RV fridge! David Force at RV Cooling Whse was very helpful with the changeuot. Answered every question I came up with. If you don't want the headaches of doing it at least check out the Amish unit for safety"s sake.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #13

Amish Cooling Unit

Thanks to all who helped us with the Norcold Frige.
We ordered the amish cooling unit. Cost 1075.00 delivered to a trucking company close to us. My husband and friend installed it in about 4 hours.
That was about three weeks ago. The refrigerator is running great. He did install an extra fan,so now there are three. It keeps ice cream nice and hard,and runs less. Thanks again to all that helped us!!!
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks to all who helped us with the Norcold Frige.
Quote:
We ordered the amish cooling unit. Cost 1075.00 delivered to a trucking company close to us. My husband and friend installed it in about 4 hours.
That was about three weeks ago. The refrigerator is running great. He did install an extra fan,so now there are three. It keeps ice cream nice and hard,and runs less. Thanks again to all that helped us!!!
So is this Amish unit an upgrade to what the Norcold is replacing in their recall (the 3rd one) the cooling unit? Will Norcold give you some kind of credit towards the Amish unit if that's the case? Mike

Tags
norcold, refrigerator