Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Not building air...help. Stuck

We're at a campground in the 97 signature. It's time to go. Fired up the cummins and started packing it in. As I went to leave the gauges were warning and I had no air building. It builds to about 10psi. Nothing more. Airbags feel firm. Brakes are soft. Looking for ideas to start fixing in the campground. Weee
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #2

I would think one of two things: 1) your compressor is not working. This seems unlikely since you say pressure builds to 10... 2) you have a leak. While the engine is running, I would walk around and listen to see if you can identify where the leak is occurring. Once you find the leak the fix should be more apparent.
SoCal Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you hear any air leaking? Is belts on compressor?
house2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #4

No belts, gear driven compressor.

See if there are threads in the hole the air spits out, when it builds up to 120 pounds. If so, find a plug to screw in there. That will eliminate a bad air dryer.

If you have a leak, you may need to leave it running to find it in the lines. Have someone rev up the engine and listen for a HISSS. Then track it down from there.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Okay. I think the 5-10lbs was just residual in the lines. It's at zero. Trying to locate the compressor. I would imagine being able to hear a leak but that is not the case. I think the compressor may not be running. Could it be electric?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

Don't forget that little $30 device attached to the compressor called a governor. It will keep the compressor from building pressure.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It filled the airbags and then just quit I guess. Coach is still at ride height. Should I dump the bags and start over? What would the governor do?
Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

If no leak can be found, you can check the governor operation, by loosening the 1/4" bolts, holding it to the compressor.

Since it uses air pressure ( from the tank ) to push open the unloader valve, with a loose governor, there will be no pressure sent to it.

If you are not familiar with diesel engines and air brake systems, I would advise you call a mobile repair service. He will give you a fast course in them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dumping airbags helped nothing. Twinboat, yes found the compressor and it is gear driven. How can I verify its putting air out? No air leaking from anywhere. Could the air water separator be full? Full filter? How does the governor function?
Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If no leak can be found, you can check the governor operation, by loosening the 1/4" bolts, holding it to the compressor.

Since it uses air pressure ( from the tank ) to push open the unloader valve, with a loose governor, there will be no pressure sent to it.

If you are not familiar with diesel engines and air brake systems, I would advise you call a mobile repair service. He will give you a fast course in them.
That's probably the number one idea. Haha
Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #11

That little device controls the air pressure. Consider that the compressor run constantly but It is only used intermittently. The governor tells the compressor when to add air to the system. Sort of an off and on switch. This could have failed venting air rather than building up pressure. I say you are stuck right where you are till its fixed. Your rear spring brake chambers are applied to lock your rear brakes. It takes air pressure to hold off the big spring in the chamber. Did that make sense?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Wade you have a Haladex Pure Air Plus Air Dryer unless its been changed, it takes a kit normaly DQ6026 but if the Coalescing (inner filter) has busted it will contaminate the whole air dryer and hang the unloader valve open and then you cant build any pressure. What you can do in this case is bypass the dryer by usibg a 1/2 T with the in and out hoses hooked to each end of the T and 1/2 X 1/4 reducer in the middle with the air governor hooked there to sense the air pressure and unload the air compressor. This will get you home but I am afraid you will have to replace the dryer and if so I would (this is what I did) go to a Meritor Wabco
R 955205 ( can be found on Ebay) the dryer on the Haladex needs to be changed about every 2 yrs
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wade if you are sure the compressor is not putting out then the next step as has been stated is the air governor and should be on the right rear frame rale, it is a simple devise and easly cleaned of its stuck just be sure to mark the 3 lines real good where they go.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
In case you dont know where the air dryer is it just above the Allison attached to the main frame and hard to get to and extremely dirty job, be sure you have clothes on that you can throw away.
I am betting on the Dryer hung open.