Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Odd Leak

We got hammered by a storm in central Texas yesterday--over 8 inches of rain between 1 and 8 am at our house. Both bar ditches were over flowing and we had about 2" of standing water in the yard at daybreak. It was the perfect time to check out the coach for leaks.

I checked inside every cabinet (upper and lower), the carpet along the bottom of every wall, the ceiling covering around the air conditioners, vent fans, TV antenna, and lights, the wall around the windows, and the entry door and windshield. Everything was dry except I had a small puddle of water on the driver's floor mat just in front of the seat. I couldn't find where it came from though.

The ceiling above the driver's seat is perfectly dry. The carpet around the floor mat was dry. There was no sign of a leak in the compartment over the driver's window or the TV cabinet above the dash on the driver's side. I removed the two side covers on the side panel to the left of the driver's seat and no sign of water. I checked along the inside of the windshield and under the dash and no water. There is no sign that water was coming through the window. We haven't used the coach since November so there was a light coating of dust on just about everything and no sign that anything had been wet, except the puddle on the floormat. The only place I couldn't get a good look at was behind the round speaker above the driver. How do you get that speaker grille off?

I'm flummoxed at this point. I already have a plan to remove and reseal the driver's side window so that should eliminate that as a potential leak point. I should be able to tell if the window has been leaking when I have it out. I had planned to inspect the roof in the next couple weeks, but now I'm thinking I'll just reseal everything on top to make sure there are no leaks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The speaker grill probably just pries off. I just had to take one of mine off and it was a job getting it to come off but it did. Look at your running lights for the leak. Monaco used some lenses that seem to get micro cracks in them that causes them to leak. especially when driving or in a driving rain. Happened to mine and many others. And of course check and seal around them with Lexan.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We got hammered by a storm in central Texas yesterday--over 8 inches of rain between 1 and 8 am at our house. Both bar ditches were over flowing and we had about 2" of standing water in the yard at daybreak. It was the perfect time to check out the coach for leaks.

I checked inside every cabinet (upper and lower), the carpet along the bottom of every wall, the ceiling covering around the air conditioners, vent fans, TV antenna, and lights, the wall around the windows, and the entry door and windshield. Everything was dry except I had a small puddle of water on the driver's floor mat just in front of the seat. I couldn't find where it came from though.

The ceiling above the driver's seat is perfectly dry. The carpet around the floor mat was dry. There was no sign of a leak in the compartment over the driver's window or the TV cabinet above the dash on the driver's side. I removed the two side covers on the side panel to the left of the driver's seat and no sign of water. I checked along the inside of the windshield and under the dash and no water. There is no sign that water was coming through the window. We haven't used the coach since November so there was a light coating of dust on just about everything and no sign that anything had been wet, except the puddle on the floormat. The only place I couldn't get a good look at was behind the round speaker above the driver. How do you get that speaker grille off?

I'm flummoxed at this point. I already have a plan to remove and reseal the driver's side window so that should eliminate that as a potential leak point. I should be able to tell if the window has been leaking when I have it out. I had planned to inspect the roof in the next couple weeks, but now I'm thinking I'll just reseal everything on top to make sure there are no leaks.
Dennis,
X2 on prying the speaker cover off. Took mine off a couple of years ago, pry gently going around the perimeter.
rvhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
The speaker grill probably just pries off. I just had to take one of mine off and it was a job getting it to come off but it did. Look at your running lights for the leak. Monaco used some lenses that seem to get micro cracks in them that causes them to leak. especially when driving or in a driving rain. Happened to mine and many others. And of course check and seal around them with Lexan.
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think those lights will leak on me. I replaced all five running lights with LEDs last year so the base and lens cover are both new. I applied Dicor sealer to the back of the base before I screwed it to the coach, then I ran a bead of sealer where the base meets the roof. I also applied sealer to the actual led light fixture where it twists into place in the base and to the back of the lens cover before popping it into place.

I'll get that grille cover off tonight and see if I can find any water behind it.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I chased the same leak in my 04dip,leak was where front cap meets the roof, water wicked its way down behind overhead cabinets and ended up on driver floor next to steering colum, resealed front cap to roof even though it looked ok,m leak gone
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #6

Found water on floor in front of drivers seat sometime back. Turned out to be the seal around the TV antenna leaking on mine. Came out through drivers side speaker. As others said, speaker cover comes off. It just takes some gentle prying. I used a narrow blade plastic putty knife to remove mine. Good luck finding your leak.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
I chased the same leak in my 04dip,leak was where front cap meets the roof, water wicked its way down behind overhead cabinets and ended up on driver floor next to steering colum, resealed front cap to roof even though it looked ok,m leak gone
Thanks for the info, that's first on my to do list, along with the air horns, and several other things above the front of the coach.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
Found water on floor in front of drivers seat sometime back. Turned out to be the seal around the TV antenna leaking on mine. Came out through drivers side speaker. As others said, speaker cover comes off. It just takes some gentle prying. I used a narrow blade plastic putty knife to remove mine. Good luck finding your leak.

Mike H
Thanks Mike, the TV antenna is on my list too.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
How long does Dicor self leveling sealer need to dry before it gets wet? The forecast isn't rain free for the next week or so.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I don't have a seam between the front cap and roof. The roof is one piece and there is no seam where it mates with the side wall except the molding along the top of the side wall.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I looked at all the sealant on the roof and most of it looked pretty good. There was only one good coat on most stuff and there wasn't a lot of cracking or shifting. Absent a smoking gun, I sealed anything that looked like it was cracked or questionable. The only thing over the front of the coach are the horns, a terrestrial radio antenna, satellite dish and the satellite radio antenna. I don't know if that radio antenna is or the AM/FM or the CB. If it's for the CB I'd just as soon remove it and seal the opening.

The only thing that looked bad to me was the sealer around the shower skylight. Someone had added sealer over the original sealer and it looked pretty bad.

I spent about 20 minutes scraping off a pound of old sealer and added a good coat to the seam and each screw head. It looks a lot better--I'm going to scrape off the excess I left behind so it doesn't look so bad.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #12

Dennis, That's a CB antenna next to the horns. (laying down)
rvhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvhotrod View Post
Dennis, That's a CB antenna next to the horns. (laying down)
Thanks Dennis, I'll definitely be removing it and patching the hole.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #14

Check the mounting plates for the sat dome. Mine were leaking even though the caulking looked intact. The mounting plates are bolted to the bottom of the dome base and extend out beyond the perimeter of the dome. Screws then to hold the plates to the roof. Caulking is then done around the visible portion of the mounting plates. However,in my case, there was no caulking under the screw hole areas and water was getting under the plates and into the screw penetrations through the roof. From there it traveled through the roof and dripped out the passenger side window edge.

Dick L '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak