Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Odometer intermittent

Has anyone seen a problem with the odometer display not reading correctly, such as all "8"s? I am having that fault and suspect a bad ground or wiring connector.

Last year during the rainy season, my odometer started acting up. When I pushed the reset button, the display changed to all "8"s. If I pushed it again, it would change to a double row of vertical dashes, then cycle back to all "8"s. I tried several things to reset it including cycling the ignition switch, unplugging connectors, and disconnecting the batteries to no avail. All of a sudden, it started working normally. The problem did not reoccur until today

We have just had a bunch of rain in Sacramento, and today when I went to take the coach for an oil change and I again got the same odometer display as last year - all "8"s. I found a few threads that talked about cycling the ignition switch 3 times while holding in the reset button or 7 times. I tried both to no avail.

So, I restarted the engine, and I noticed that while the ignition switch was in start position, the odometer read normally. But as soon as I released it to run, it went back to all "8"s. The Alladdin Jr. display shows correct odo and speed and the speedometer seems to be working correctly. The unit is a Beede 946848 made in 01-29-07.

So, I will call Beede tomorrow to see what they say, but in the meantime, start cleaning grounds and reseating connectors. I suspect this fault is related to the wet weather.

If anyone has seen this fault and has any idea what could be causing it, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
With the all 8's and rows of dashes that change when you press the button, it almost seems like the odometer is entering a test mode (probably used at the factory to make sure the display is working properly.)

From your description of the ignition key, perhaps the gauge isn't getting the right voltages due to a loose wire or bad contact? (Motorhome manufacturers have been known to overload the ignition switch contacts leading to early failure - the solution is to move those heavy loads to a relay controlled by the ignition switch contacts.)

Or maybe you have a bad ground connection which can cause all sorts of interesting random effects?

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Adam,
I will check that out. It seems coincidental that both times this has happened it has been cold and rainy here. The first time, I had a water leak above the driver's window that ported water to the floor to the left of the seat, and down to the fwd electrical bay. I suspected a conection got wet then. Maybe that same connection is corroded or contaminated.
Roy
Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I Called Beede. They said they didn't have anyone who could help me but that if I get normal reading when cranking the coach, the issue must not be the speedometer head. It must be in the wiring.

So I called Monaco to see if I could get a diagram. They sent me the chassis diagram, which I think I already have. They said the speedometer gets speed data (VSS) digitally from the VIM (Vehicle Interface Module) located behind the panel at the driver's left foot (same place that got wet last year when this fault occurred). The speed signal comes from the tailshaft of the transmission through the 1939 data bus. The speedometer head calculates (counts) odometer readings from the VSS, and my problem is most likely the speedometer head - bad EPROM internally.

They said I would have to replace the speedometer head and that it would start with the odometer to all zeros. There is apparently no clean way to set the odometer to the actual coach mileage.

I called Beede back. They said they no longer sell these speedometers or service them. They gave me the P/N of a unit that would interchange (set up for Allison transmission data) and said there are some available through the person who bought out all the stock. the name of the person who bought all the old stock. When I called her, she said that she could sell me a new one (the different p/n) but that I would not be able to reset the odometer to the coach mileage. Beede used to do this for $75 but they no longer do.

So, I guess I will still check all grounds and connections from the VIM to the Speedometer head. If that doesn't correct the fault, then I may have to get a new speedometer head to verify that the old one is bad.

Roy