RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 05:25 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Off with the Monroe's - On with the Bilstein's

Yesterday I replaced the original front Monroe shocks on our 2005, 26K mile Endeavor with Bilsteins. The original shocks were definitely worn out and could easily be collapsed. Some of the rubber bushings were torn and loose.
The Bilstein shocks are highly rated and I'm glad I have them on but if I had to do it over again I would go back with new Monroe shocks. Why? Well these shocks have a pin mount on top and you are required to hold the pin from turning while you remove or install the top mounting bolt. The Monroe shocks have a 3/4" nut welded to top of the shock body which makes this task easy. The Bilstein shocks require using vice grips to hold the top of the stem while you tighten the nut. I've heard this describes as a PIA but it's worse than that. You have to do most of the work by feel in these tight areas and getting the vice grips on just right is a hit and miss operation. What should have been a simple 2 hour job turned into a whole day project.
I understand that the Monroe shocks work just fine but don't last as long as the Bilstein shocks. For my money I would rather put on Monroe shocks 3 times rather than Bilsteins once.
Just my thoughts for anyone contemplating replacing your front shocks.

Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:12 AM   #2

Keep in mind that all models are not the same though...I just replaced my monroes two weeks ago with bilsteins and the top was the same attachment setup as the bottom (hole that you put a bolt thru and then nut on end). I had to put four shocks on the front and I was done in two hours no issues.

speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bill, I agree. A dumb design. I changed all 8 of mine. Some were a real pain. Removing the tires would have made it easier. Having a nut at the base would have been nice. Next time I will use the check book to have them installed.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speerfamily View Post
Keep in mind that all models are not the same though...I just replaced my monroes two weeks ago with bilsteins and the top was the same attachment setup as the bottom (hole that you put a bolt thru and then nut on end). I had to put four shocks on the front and I was done in two hours no issues.
Sean
My 4 rear shocks have the thru bolt arrangement on both ends so perhaps these will be easier to do when I get around to them. Don't know how easy they are to get to. I used an impact wrench to remove the thru bolts on the front shocks. I'm not sure you can get to the upper bolts on the rear shocks with an impact wrench. That would seem to be the only difficult part for changing out the rear shocks.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #5

Bill, yep I have to do the rears next year....I saw a couple tricks on here like removing the rear docking lights to get into the top bolts...we will have to do some research on here for any tips!!
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote