RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
I sold my toad (1997 Saturn) and the buyer did not want the Roadmaster tow bar. Took it to a shop to have the brackets removed but one of the mounts was so tight, they could not loosen the bolt. It pained me deeply, but I took a side-grinder to the bracket and cut it off the chassis. In other words, I red-necked a solution.

P.S. Sacs, the Sawzall would not reach the bracket but I think the grinder should qualify for Honorable Mention at least.

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
I sold my toad (1997 Saturn) and the buyer did not want the Roadmaster tow bar. Took it to a shop to have the brackets removed but one of the mounts was so tight, they could not loosen the bolt. It pained me deeply, but I took a side-grinder to the bracket and cut it off the chassis. In other words, I red-necked a solution.

P.S. Sacs, the Sawzall would not reach the bracket but I think the grinder should qualify for Honorable Mention at least.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I assume then that you couldn't adapt it into some sort of beer holder/cooler? Seems a shame!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
LOL!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Bama...
I am sure Sacs will be proud that you at least used a "tool" and did it yourself...even if it wasn't the normal "handy dandy" Sawzall!

The only other question I have is
...What is your NEW toad!! ??

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mama, Another amazing display of "smiley" usage! I love the last line!!
Dan

2006 Monaco Knight 40DFD
dwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
RonNBama,
To add to the others.....my question is: are you fulltiming it and ACTUALLY have a side grinder in your tool kit? I can't remember if you still have a stickhouse.
AKBrick
Old 01-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Full timing? Only in my dreams. The more I look at it, the less likely we are to shed the stick house. Would definitely need a slide-equipped motorhome for FT'ing. We are still with the space company and looks like we have another couple of years to go.

Now, these suggestions have given me a good idea. I'll do a little shaping on the cut-off bracket and fabricate a nice 12OZ curl bar holder.

Mama, the side grinder is actually my favorite scalpel cause it makes lots of purdy sparkies.
The new toad is actually my old toad. 1999 Jeep GCL with Blue Ox system. TOWMBO just picked up her new Avalon and I "inherited" her Solara. Ran out of parking spaces so something had to go. Neither of the Toyotas are towable 4-down. Sure going to miss that 30-33MPG efficiency of the Saturn though.

Anyone need a RoadMaster towbar? Comes complete with half the mounting brackets required for towing a Saturn.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #9

Hey 'Bama, in this month's Motorhome magazine, they have story of the Smart car. It rings in at a mere 1800 pounds and can be FROG towed.

Course, you'll need one for each foot, but hey, it does get great gas mileage!!
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonNBama:

P.S. Sacs, the Sawzall would not reach the bracket but I think the grinder should qualify for Honorable Mention at least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

H**l Bama, with the winds that was here last night in Nawth Bama, ya could have sit it outside and had the wind blow them off. We stopped here in Decatur on the way to Indiana. Wow what a storm.

06 HR PDQ 40'
crudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, about 10:00, I was awakened by what I thought was the garbage can blowing around. Took a peek outside and found some of the aluminum facing blown off the front of the house!
Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RonNBama:
Anyone need a RoadMaster towbar? Comes complete with half the mounting brackets required for towing a Saturn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are serious, let me know what type it is. I can make my own brackets and am looking for an alternative tow bar for one/some of my vehicles. It is either that or I will fab up my own.

Let me know either way.

Ken
Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can get some digi pics of the setup for you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bama.. Quikduk is probably serious! We PMed off and on since oh.. Aug or so. He bought our mattress. Do me a huge favor though...do what I did with him and PM each other with the info.
(They have these silly rules about selling openly on the forum!)

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can get some digi pics of the setup for you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bama.. Quikduk is probably serious! We PMed off and on since oh.. Aug or so. He bought our mattress. Do me a huge favor though...do what I did with him and PM each other with the info.
(They have these silly rules about selling openly on the forum!)

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done....