RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Oil and Tranny fill on 2008 Camelot 42PDQ and 2009 Dynasty Yorkshire

Im trying to get samples for the Blackstone oil testing from both of these coaches. I thought no problem easy to do. Since they have both been sitting for awhile and are not easily moved from their parking spots I thought Ill just get a pump and pull both oil and transmission samples through the dipstick or fill tubes. Well ....did the Camelot first . Pulled the dipstick on the Cummins 400 and stuck the 1/4 hose down the tube and it stopped. I noticed on the dipstick that it narrows so Im guessing that the 1/4 tubing will not make it down it. So I thought I would hold up on the oil and do the transmission because I thought the fill for it was just below the oil dipstick. And it seems like it is. After a lot of pumping I finally got enough red tranny oil to fill the little sample bottle. I cleaned the pump and tubing with gas and dried it then went to do the transmission fluid in the Dynasty with the 500 hp Cummins. Well what came out of the similar tube as the Camelot was engine oil? Now I have not touched or had either of these coaches oil changed since we got them (Camelot 2018 and Dynasty 2019). So here are my questions .... Where is the fill for the oil on the Camelot? And then how do you check how full the transmission is on it? Do you use the same dipstick as the oil fill and put it into the transmission fill? And then on the Dynasty...if the oil fill is that same tube as the one in the Camelot..where is the transmission fill tube? Why make them the same but different?? The Camelot is the top picture and the Dynasty is the bottom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8AE8F1D-606B-4594-8FF4-25907C93DA8C.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	259651   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD1C2CD7-08D0-49A0-878A-821D7B5B0C90.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	259652  

Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yellow dipsticks are engine oil, dipsticks with the red paint are trans.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yellow dipsticks are engine oil, dipsticks with the red paint are trans.

That's what I thought but then why do I have engine oil (or at least it's black like engine oil???) in the transmission? It doesn't smell burnt? I mean it's blacker than black
Old 09-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure that tube with the "red paint mark" is not the oil fill tube?
Where are you putting the oil in at?

On my coach the transmission dipstick is the same tube as where the transmission fluid goes in - but it is at the back of the engine and can only be accessed by removing the floor cover in the bedroom (from inside the coach). Do you have a floor access opening you bedroom (or rear closet)?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Are you sure that tube with the "red paint mark" is not the oil fill tube?
Where are you putting the oil in at?

On my coach the transmission dipstick is the same tube as where the transmission fluid goes in - but it is at the back of the engine and can only be accessed by removing the floor cover in the bedroom (from inside the coach). Do you have a floor access opening you bedroom (or rear closet)?
I'm with Mike - my transmission dipstick is at the back of the engine or towards the front of the coach since the engine is installed backwards. This is not surprising since we have similar coaches with C13 engines, may be different on a Cummins installation, but that is a long way to run a dipstick.

I put an access port in my coach to save me the trouble of removing the cover to check/add fluid to the Allison - used a marine part, cut a round hole in the fiberglass and installed it above the dipstick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Transmission Fill Access.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	259746  
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Looking at the Owners manuals for the 2008 Cayman, and 2009 Dynasty, the oil level and filler tubes are not in the same locations.

On the Dynasty, the Transmission dipstick and filler tube are not shown at the front of engine (so must be located at rear as mentioned above, and accessed from inside coach).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2009 Dynasty ISM.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	259751   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Cayman.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	259752  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did all 4 have dipsticks?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Did all 4 have dipsticks?
So I ended up finding all 4 dipsticks. Like others have said (and thank you all for pointing me in that direction!)..the transmission dipstick is in the back of the engine under the access door in the bedroom (Camelot) and the bathroom (Dynasty). The Camelot oil that is red-ish is actually the engine oil that only has about 1,000 miles on it since we bought it and was changed then. The Dynasty's engine oil probably has about 3500 miles on it since it was changed and that's why it's a lot darker. I can see that it is engine oil now and smell it now