RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #1

Oil type

MY 07 HR has the 400 Cummins with 54K miles and I am running the Rotella semi synthetic, thinking of switching to a full synthetic, anyone using Amsoil? or using another brand full synthetic having good luck? I usually go about 5K a year, but that will now be increasing. so far I have never had to add oil between changes and trust me I check it often. I hear great things about the Amsoil being far superior. I don't mind the cost at all, considering what is protects.

Thnx

gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I have been using Mobil One full synthetic for 93,000
in my Cummins ISC and for many years in my cars with
complete satisfaction. Rotella T-6 full syn is a comparable
product and I suggest you switch to it. Amsoil uses a different
synthetic base than Mobil or Shell. Personally, I have a lot
more confidence in the engineers of Shell and Exxon/Mobil
than the unknowns of Amsoil. Amsoil goes to market thru
local distributors/sales people with a direct marketing
focus similar to a multi-level market approach, a concept
with which I have little confidence.

Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #3

Been using conventional Shell oil in my semi and RV for over 40 years. I’ve had Diesel engines go over 1 million miles with no oil related issues why would you want to go synthetic?
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Main advantage to synthetics is higher temps before thermal breakdown and being able to go longer periods bc more consistency of base stocks requires less Viscosity Improver additives (hence viscosity change is more predicable)

None of those are real issues for Diesel operation. It will only cost you more annually; assuming you still plan on doing annual OCs. And if not, consult your owners manual.

The exception might be like an ACEA2 or LL4 type that is specifically intended to not foul Diesel particulate filters.. which I doubt is present on yours.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #5

I have been using Amsoil 5w40 in my 06 Ford PSD for over 10 years and I also use it in my C-9 Cat. I pull an oil sample on every oil change and send them into the Cat labs through Peterson Cat and never had a report come back bad.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #7

Thank you

Good morning all and thank you for the replies. Currently I use full synthetic in my cars, Mobil-1 gold which goes 15-thousand miles, but I change it around 7500-10K, never had an issue. My thoughts of going full syn in the MH are because of oil breakdown/wearing.

I watched an Amsoil video that showed scaring and wear comparing others to theirs, and Amsoil showed way less scaring. Marketing perhaps?

I have only owned the coach 3-years and it runs awesome and doesn't use any oil, so I guess I'll stay with the Shell (I think its the T6) since I haven't had an issue.

We have relocated from Idaho to Prescott Az (much closer to Quartzite, LOL). No further moves for us so we will be taking to the road much more often.

Just purchased a brand new Dodge diesel (Longhorn Laramie) so I'll need to check into that as well. First time Dodge owner, been a life long Ford guy. Hoping the dark side LOL, treats me well, time will tell.

Thanks again everyone, happy and safe travels to you!!
Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My engine manufacturer specifically states the mileage for oil change intervals and also says that using synthetic oil does not increase that interval. I use full synthetic in all of my gas motors but considering what Detroit states I do not see the benefit from the extra cost of synthetic, especially considering that it’s capacity is 40qts. Always use Rotella T4
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins says using synthetic oil does not change the recommended oil change intervals for their engines.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Mr D. In our legacy engines Cummins does not recommend or prohibit synthetic oil as long as it meets the API specification and is changed at the recommended interval.

I like to use Rotella T6 full synthetic in our Onan generator because it cranks and starts much easier. Until recently i used Rotella T conventional oil in our Cummins ISX (14 gallons!). I found a sale on Rotella T5 synthetic blend and the price was close to Rotella T conventional, so I plan on trying it.

This morning I read an article that Shell engineers claim as much as 1.5% improvement in fuel economy with synthetic and that depending on miles and change interval, that synthetic may pay for itself.

I personally avoid Amsoil for the same reasons Mac99 stated.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #11

just an FYI follow up with Cummins

I contacted a Cummins service dealer, they only use the Valvoline Premium Blue, which is what Cummins recommends. I'm certain there are many different opinions. Do what you feel is best, Just an FYI. thnx again