Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Oily fluid from dash AC?

I ran the dash heat a couple times (which I rarely do) and coincidently a few ounces of oily fluid presented itself on top of the generator case. My genny is on a slide and when I slid it out I saw the fluid below the bundle of hoses.
Now the dash Ac doesn't work and the compressed doesn't engage?
Is the oily fluid Freon?
Does anyone have a data tag for how much freon goes in a 2001 Dynasty?

Thank you
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most Freon installations have oil mixed with the gas. That certainly isn't freon, but it could be the oil left behind from a leak. If the compressor doesn't engage it could have a low pressure cutoff that is indicating low freon. Based on a cursory look at your coach, I would be guessing at where the compressor is and how the lines are routed. Hopefully someone with the same model will jump in here.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
I ran the dash heat a couple times (which I rarely do) and coincidently a few ounces of oily fluid presented itself on top of the generator case. My genny is on a slide and when I slid it out I saw the fluid below the bundle of hoses.
Is the oily fluid Freon?

Thank you
Freon has escaped and brought with it a PAG oil which is suspended in the system to lubricate the compressor. There is a certain amount of oil installed in the system anytime it is serviced. You can't just add oil and say, "close enough" or you will damage the compressor.
The system will have to be recharged and a thorough leak detection test performed to find the source of the leak. This should be done by a qualified technician with the proper equipment and materials to do the job correctly.
There should be a charge chart somewhere on the RV. Usually it is on the header panel near the radiator or the top of the radiator support. If you can't find the chart, contact the manufacturer to get the correct specs. Overcharging or under charging an AC system will limit it's efficiency as well as it's life span.
Lynn
Old 05-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
Is the oily fluid Freon?
You, my friend, have a leak. A lot of vehicles cycle the AC on and off when defrost is selected to dry the air before it is heated and dumped on the cold windshield. The freon is a gas, but oil is mixed in to lube the compressor. Your oil leaked out and so did your Freon, from a loose connection or a blown hose, usually the high pressure side. My motorhome came with a virgin AC system, never even charged, so it took massive calculations and wizardry to get the right amount of Freon and oil in the mix. Too much, and you blow the system again. To0o little, and it won't cool right. If it's important, I would have a pro find the leak and fix it, and flush, vacuum and recharge the system. If my ac is not working, I get a loud, annoying, whiney alarm from the copilot seat.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't imagine the freon routing for a dash AC in a pusher, looooong lines....

Unfortunately most leaks of this kind are in the evaporator coils and they are located above your genny. As the monkey said as he p###sed into the cash register, "this is going to run into money!"
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
You, my friend, have a leak. A lot of vehicles cycle the AC on and off when defrost is selected to dry the air before it is heated and dumped on the cold windshield. The freon is a gas, but oil is mixed in to lube the compressor. Your oil leaked out and so did your Freon, from a loose connection or a blown hose, usually the high pressure side. My motorhome came with a virgin AC system, never even charged, so it took massive calculations and wizardry to get the right amount of Freon and oil in the mix. Too much, and you blow the system again. To0o little, and it won't cool right. If it's important, I would have a pro find the leak and fix it, and flush, vacuum and recharge the system. If my ac is not working, I get a loud, annoying, whiney alarm from the copilot seat.

I second that motion!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

Hi Jeff; Your Dynasty should be the same as my 01 Windsor. When you slide the generator out, look inside up to your left. You should see the heater line hoses coming up to the heater control valve. Left of those will be your two A/C lines. The high pressure line is the smaller in diameter and the suction side is the larger diameter hose. You should also be able to see the charge ports where the gauges for charging are to be attached. They might have covers on the charging ports, red for the high pressure side and blue for the suction side. Also the low pressure switch with two wires attached is in that same area. Sounds to me like a crimp on the hose has let go, or a hole in one of the hoses. You should be able to see where the PAG oil has originated from since these fittings are right above the generator. If you look in your owners manual under the section for the dash A/C, I think it shows charge values for different length coaches. I called Monaco tech line once and, if I can find it, gave me the quantity of PAG oil the system takes. I will see if I can find it after this post. Sounds like you have a leak. Hopefully not too hard of a fix. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

Hi again Jeff; Went to the Monaco web site and went to owners manual for my 01 Windsor. Under the section, Chassis Electrical, go down to the instructions for dash heat and A/C. There is a table that shows how much PAG oil the system takes as well as how much Freon the coach is charged with. Should be about the same place in the Dynasty Manual. Gives you all the dash A/C info. Hope this helps.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #9

IMO many good answers so far.

Keep in mind you cannot tell how much oil goes in a a/c without starting from scratch on a Virgin a/c system because you have oil hanging in all the low points of the a/c components once it has been run one time.

Use caution adding refrigerant oil maybe with a leak as you describe I would add no more than .5 ounce at most. Adding too much oil you can hydraulic the compressor (highly unlikely but can happen ) but more likely is that you can insulate the internal components with too much oil and lose a/c performance in hot humid conditions.

Keep in mind that you cannot flush the all the oil out of the system, no flush method .. tool or machine can do this without disassembling the whole a/c system.

I would like to see gage readings both high & low and not running and running ( if the compressor clutch engages, but you say it does not )
If the readings are low I would add a pound of refrigerant and see if the compressor clutch engages. If so? I would take a high power light and follow the oil …a good chance you may see the leak.

Most likely as others have said what you are seeing a/c oil residue.

If you don't have a background in a/c and have the proper tooling to do so you should seek a pro that is good. That may be hard to do ...ask around.

Most shops ( not all) will want to do a quick vacuum and fill ( ching ching ) and haven't a clue as to proper diagnostics and repair procedures when needed.

Happy Hunting
Old 06-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Oily fluid from dash AC?

There's a few dash Ac threads I have been bouncing between.
Took it to Mark Robbins radiator muffler and Ac repair in palatka Fl.
They evacuated the system and put in 4#. Identified plugged line.
Nastiness came out of the line.
Flushing both lines with flush n clean, replacing little valve and drier. Will update. I like this shop!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	164587Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1585.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	647.3 KB
ID:	164588Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	164589Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1588.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	750.1 KB
ID:	164590Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1590.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	164591
Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Update
Robbin's Ac/muffler/radiator is a 3rd generation repair guy. Excellent work
Flushed lines, replaced compressor, expansion valve and dryer and flushed condensation box. New compressor ($300) three courts of flush ($90) dryer, valve and new belt $120. Price of my cool dw going down the road.
For your Ac repair there's Mark Robbins. For everything else there's MasterCard! Hello Koni shocks;.

Highly recommend Mark Robbins in Palatka Fl. It's about 30 miles east of I95

Tags
dash, fluid