Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ok to air down for winter?

Our 01 Windsor looses air on the driver side after about a week.
We have been just starting it up, airing it up, letting it run for about 20 minutes.
The dw asked why not just let the air out?
I said I just don't like the idea of it sitting on deflated bags.

What say you?
Am I worried about nothing or what?
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For winter storage, I let all the air out of the system and lower the levelling jacks just enough that they firmly sit on the floor.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Is it bad to store with deflated bags ? My rear drive axle and tag axle leak down in a couple days and stay that way sometimes for a couple months. I never thought about it before I saw this post. I just new bags on both axles and it would be nice if they lasted a while... I have air bag overloads on my Ford Bronco which I air up when pulling the boat and remember the instructions said to always keep some air in the bags. I don't know if I really want to put my levelers down as I store on gravel.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't know why an air bag would care whether it had air in it or not. I've never thought about that before.

In any event, I've always released the air when parking the coach and have had no problems to date. My air bags are all 20 years old. I don't know what the life expectancy is for the air bags, or whether they really deteriorate much at all. Occassionaly I have inspected them for cracks and so far they look OK. Hmmm.

When I park the coach on gravel, I have some 2 X 10 boards that I use to set the jacks down on.

I think using the jacks is good because it takes at least some load off the tires.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
the truck air bags I had said to always keep 5 psi in them to keep the bags from being pinched, but that was with daily driving...

Not sure if the same concern is needed for the rv bags !?! good question !
Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had 2 monaco rr8r over the past 10 years one was a 99 now have an 04 i always air down and since my parking pad is level never use the hyd. Jacks,as the air bags have built in snubbers so the bags will not get pinched,
Gordie kaltz 04 dip
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
I have had 2 monaco rr8r over the past 10 years one was a 99 now have an 04 i always air down and since my parking pad is level never use the hyd. Jacks,as the air bags have built in snubbers so the bags will not get pinched,
Gordie kaltz 04 dip
Snubbers!
So it's not just sitting on deflated air bags?
That's the info I was looking for, thank you all.
Unless someone has a very good reason to not deflate, they are going down.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
One of the problems with the little Aux compressor is lack of use, if you have a tight system. I stored mine with air level on. The pump would cycle about once a week.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
We have a 99 Tradewinds on a Freightliner chassis and have always released the air for storage and let it sit on the snubbers. No problems in 16 years.

Dick

Tags
winter