RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I actually hate to admit this . We just got back from a couple weeks on the road, wonderful time, and other than needing a bank loan for diesel, uneventful trip.

BUT, we got home . My daughter says,"Do you want me to put out the side?" I'm in the driver's seat and say, "Yeah, go ahead." She'd done it plenty of times.

She said, "Something doesn't sound right!" I said, "Stop and bring it back in."

Went to the back. The contents in the cabinet above the Washer/Dryer had shifted, knocked the cabinet door open. As the slide went out, it caught the cabinet door, crushed the door and tore the door from the cabinet frame. The screws were torn from the wood and the cabinet door frame was/is splintered.

At least I didn't have to unscrew it to take it off...the cabinet door was lying between the coach wall and the slide.

On the good side, we got 9.3 mpg average the entire trip and only used about $100,000 in fuel. We went thru rain and sleet, wind (REAL WIND) and sun, and for a "shake down" trip of about 2800 miles, I thought overall it was MAH-VA-LOUS! No leaks (other than my eyes on the return stop), no wind noise, no irritating rattles, decent to top-notch ride.

Of course the broken cabinet door is a downer, but I'll get it fixed and check for load shifts in the future!

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I actually hate to admit this . We just got back from a couple weeks on the road, wonderful time, and other than needing a bank loan for diesel, uneventful trip.

BUT, we got home . My daughter says,"Do you want me to put out the side?" I'm in the driver's seat and say, "Yeah, go ahead." She'd done it plenty of times.

She said, "Something doesn't sound right!" I said, "Stop and bring it back in."

Went to the back. The contents in the cabinet above the Washer/Dryer had shifted, knocked the cabinet door open. As the slide went out, it caught the cabinet door, crushed the door and tore the door from the cabinet frame. The screws were torn from the wood and the cabinet door frame was/is splintered.

At least I didn't have to unscrew it to take it off...the cabinet door was lying between the coach wall and the slide.

On the good side, we got 9.3 mpg average the entire trip and only used about $100,000 in fuel. We went thru rain and sleet, wind (REAL WIND) and sun, and for a "shake down" trip of about 2800 miles, I thought overall it was MAH-VA-LOUS! No leaks (other than my eyes on the return stop), no wind noise, no irritating rattles, decent to top-notch ride.

Of course the broken cabinet door is a downer, but I'll get it fixed and check for load shifts in the future!

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 04-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry To hear about your problems when You got home, But Thanks for getting OUT There & helping our Oil Companies, I'm sure they needed the Money!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes. I'm pretty sure I funded a 3rd world nation on this trip. I've decided to buy Iraq. Or maybe Saudi Arabia, and sell diesel for 25 cents/gallon.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 04-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
BudtheDiplomat for PRESIDENT!!!!

dreamer.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
OK, so we did this too, with our 07 SFT. The very good news was that the big slide is hydraulic and it came back in and still works. Just another moment of terror in owning a 40' DP!
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> On the good side, we got 9.3 mpg average the entire trip and only used about $100,000 in fuel. We went thru rain and sleet, wind (REAL WIND) and sun, and for a "shake down" trip of about 2800 miles, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...Ok, Bud... I just have to ask..how much were you paying per gallon and was it made of gold & diamonds to have spent $100,000 for 2800 miles?? ...sorry... I just had to ask

MM

By the way...I am sorry to here about the cabinet splintering...Hopefully that repair won't be too bad...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
MM;
Actually, part of my fun was stopping for fuel! Crazy, I know. I paid between $3.99 and $4.19. I started off filling up at about 3/4 tank and later started filling at about 1/2 to a little less than 1/2 tank.
I stopped at Flying J a couple of times, Pilot ( which gave me the very best mileage), and Loves. The folks at Loves were really great, no kidding.
We left from about 1/2way from Houston and Galveston, thru Arkansas to northwest of Indianapolis, back thru Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and home.
I gotta say, this coach drove like a dream. We felt it on really rough highway, but for the most part the ride was smooth. I expected something to be wrong, to be found wrong, to vibrate loose - you know, something?!? Everything worked perfectly. After SacsTC told me where to turn on the icemaker water, we had pink ice for about 3 trays, threw away the first 6 to be safe. I put the ice cubes down the toilet to knock loose anything that might be "stuck."
I've spent 3 days gluing and reconstructing the cabinet door. While not finished, you cannot tell there was damage from the outside of the door presently. That's pleasing, because it was actually splintered. I still have some work to do, but a side hobby of mine is woodworking. I stink at plumbing (a little play on words that made me laugh!).
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #9

We have already paid for Irag we just need to get the oil.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bub D,
We forgot to clear a hardback book from a bedstand that is behind our bedroom slide. The book slid off the table and up against the slide while braking. I went to put the slide out and it made a "not too happy" a noise and wouldn't go all of the out. This freaked me out as I thought that I broke something. I did, it was the book. Now I have a brokeback book!

As far as the fuel goes. This trip up to Oregon is a killer. Good thing those retirement checks keep comming, but we'll deffinately have to stay in a few places longer between roadtrips.

We did actually get 10.5 miles per gallon while driving up to Salt Lake City on Thursday!!

Happy cruisin',
AKBrick

Oh yeah, we got here in a snow storm!!! Luckily nothing was sticking on the roads.
Today we're heading up to Boise, I D Hoe. So far the skies look crystal clear. It'll be about a six hour trip. I'll be able to add another state sticker to our map.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #11

Ditto here on the W/D door. Ours popped open during our second or third trip and well we took it off at the hinge as well. Fortunately, after straightening the hinge and finding screws that were a smidgen larger, I reinstalled the door. Now we practice wrapping a foot long piece of velcro around the two handles. This assures us that neither of the doors will pop open again during travel again.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I put the ice cubes down the toilet to knock loose anything that might be "stuck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You Newbies, I don't know what to do about you guys....
The SFT has a macerating toilet, so all you got into the tank was ice chips!!!
In fact, with all the water this toilet uses, after making chips, it probably melted them before they reached the tank!!!
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
SacsTC;
My toilet is not a macerating toilet, and I wish we had one, I think. Maybe that's something that was dropped in the '08. It wasn't even listed as an option in the '08 SFT. The only macerating that goes on is when I do something that makes Mrs.theDiplomat angry, and then a goodly portion of my rear...well, you get the picture.
I do have the SaniCon that seems to do a pretty good job. I took Robin_M's advice and filled both the Black and Grey tanks with just water, then emptied both through a regular 3" clean-out hose prior to using the Sanicon.

AK - hearing about your trip makes me wish we were back on the road. Even Mrs.theDiplomat is wishing we could hit the road again soon.

Mbl Condo - thanks for the velcro idea. It is really simple and will work well. I was envisioning more complicated solutions.

Lukeaa - I feel your pain, really. It's not something that other floorplans seem that they could suffer easily, but ours can.

I just noticed that this post got my 2nd campfire! A Hallmark moment!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 04-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Bud, first and foremost, you are funny!! Second, so sorry to hear about the damage, glad you can fix it, and thanks for the reminder to check everything before slides in or out.

This may be a stupid question, but what is a "macerating toilet"?

Brenda, of..