Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
On shocks and sway bars

Although I was not all that unhappy with the ride of my Monaco 42FKQ, I really didn't like the way it handled. It plowed going through corners, making it feel it wouldn't make the turn, the tighter the corner the worse it was. And driving even on a smooth highway was tiring, always having to correct for drift from side to side. So I decided to bite the bullet and bought the Source Eng shocks and swaybar. I had them install 60mm shocks in the front and 43 in the rear.

Since I was close to Eugene, I had them install only the shocks. When I returned to Vancouver, WA (where we are camped) I immediately noticed a much better ride. Less drifting and easier steering. The ride felt better, and the coach didn't sway as much. In fact, I stopped at a rest area and was surprised at how much cross winds I had... I really didn't notice it much. So far, so good.

Since this was the first sway bar installation on a tag axle Camelot, Roadmaster in Vancouver, it was installed at Roadmaster in Vancouver, WA. They manufactures the hardware and wanted to make sure the fit was OK. It was, with a very minor correctionto bolt sizes. When I drove back, I was amazed at how much the combination of shocks and sway bar improved the handling. The coach traveled straight and true, requiring almost no steering corrections. Going around corners was like driving in a car.

So after all is said and done, I am pleased with my decision to buy the shocks and sway bar, even though it was expensive. I am a full timer, and the handling improvement is worth the cost. And, the ride improvement is a benefit. I'm a happy camper.

== John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #2

John... I went even one step farther on my old rig...I placed a Steer Safe.... It is a spring loaded contraption that really put the next level of open road driving comfort into the front end.
It works! I did the Bilstein Comfort shocks....the upgrade to the swaybar....first and then this.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've had the Saf-T-Plus (same type of thing) installed for 2 years. Never did think it helped much for wind gusts, road ruts etc. I left it on for safety in case of a front tire blow out.

I'm on a very slow internet, so didn't play your video. I do remember though that you better have a very good air impact wrench to remove and install thos large suspension bolts. They have lock nuts on them and require a lot of torque.

== John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 AM   #4

John...I had been driving my parts RV ....before I wrecked it....and it was a nightmare on the highway. Every semi passing me would cause the rig to move on over a few feet....as I replaced the Bounder with another Bounder....I worked the improvement angle. First...better shocks and swaybar (great bushings made a difference too).....then the SafTplus type device. The combo in my case did an excellent job. Still room for improvement.....but I have no fear of placing this bounder on the highway in most conditions.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
YC1

I have been running the sway bars on my 42 foot Endeavor 2008 single axel for a year and a half. Huge difference. I had installed the safe-t-plus and built an electric trim for it. In the last few months I changed the shocks at 16K miles on the originals. Great improvement. I removed the Safe-t-plus a couple of months ago because I was still trying to sort out the little bit of tail wagging the dog. I forgot to mention one of the best improvements was setting my ride height in the beginning and having the front end aligned. My ride height was 1 inch low basically.

So, front end alignment, ride height, safe-t-plus, sway bars, then shocks. It takes cross winds easily and hardly notice trucks passing. Both used to be white knuckle events.

Currently sitting at Brazels in Washington. Had the front end aligned yesterday. They added 3 degrees to each side and some toe in. Haven't driven it yet but I think this is going to be the ticket. They are also adding their ride check valves. Having some sort of issue on the rears so they will be back at it today. I may reinstall the safe-t-plus but not until I have road tested it for a couple of thousand miles.

Now for the fun part. I added their rear radiator fan a couple of years ago with a huge reduction in noise and noticeable improvement in acceleration and mileage. The next mod was adding the DIGI chip module. Huge improvement in acceleration and hill climbing and 1 mpg improvement. So today it goes on the dyno for some real world test results.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

YC1... they have a dyno for a rig of that size? WOW.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCamelot View Post
Although I was not all that unhappy with the ride of my Monaco 42FKQ, I really didn't like the way it handled. It plowed going through corners, making it feel it wouldn't make the turn, the tighter the corner the worse it was. And driving even on a smooth highway was tiring, always having to correct for drift from side to side. So I decided to bite the bullet and bought the Source Eng shocks and swaybar. I had them install 60mm shocks in the front and 43 in the rear.

Since I was close to Eugene, I had them install only the shocks. When I returned to Vancouver, WA (where we are camped) I immediately noticed a much better ride. Less drifting and easier steering. The ride felt better, and the coach didn't sway as much. In fact, I stopped at a rest area and was surprised at how much cross winds I had... I really didn't notice it much. So far, so good.

Since this was the first sway bar installation on a tag axle Camelot, Roadmaster in Vancouver, it was installed at Roadmaster in Vancouver, WA. They manufactures the hardware and wanted to make sure the fit was OK. It was, with a very minor correctionto bolt sizes. When I drove back, I was amazed at how much the combination of shocks and sway bar improved the handling. The coach traveled straight and true, requiring almost no steering corrections. Going around corners was like driving in a car.

So after all is said and done, I am pleased with my decision to buy the shocks and sway bar, even though it was expensive. I am a full timer, and the handling improvement is worth the cost. And, the ride improvement is a benefit. I'm a happy camper.

== John
We have had the sway bars installed for about 2 1/2 years now. We already had the Koni shocks and TruCenter. The coach now handles like a dream. I once had tag axle envy but not now. On a recent trip through South Dakota and Wyoming we encountered some very strong gusty winds but were able to sail along at 65 MPH with little steering effort.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Anyone know a good shop for doing those projects in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky region?
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #9

Ron: There are RV centers like Stinnet's of Fairfield OH....Skaggs RV Country in Elizabethtown KY.... to name a few.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Ron: There are RV centers like Stinnet's of Fairfield OH....Skaggs RV Country in Elizabethtown KY.... to name a few.
Thanks Craig! Stinnet's is close - I'll check them out.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Thanks Craig! Stinnet's is close - I'll check them out.
Hmmm... now that I look I don't see a Stinnet's in Fairfield. Only things I see are a Tom Raper branch and Southwest RV Service. Don't think I would use this Tom Raper shop for work like this, but I've heard good comments about Southwest RV so maybe I'll check them out.

Looking for a shop with the ability and _lots_ of experience doing alignment work and installing sway bars, shocks, and TruCenters on the Roadmaster chassis.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #12

I am so sorry... I pass by that shop on Dixie hwy a few times a year and I only remember it as Stinnets....I just looked and it is indeed a Tom Raper....My bad. I was going to suggest that you go to the Jungle Jim's store while there... That is the most incredible grocery store I have ever been in.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Hmmm... now that I look I don't see a Stinnet's in Fairfield. Only things I see are a Tom Raper branch and Southwest RV Service. Don't think I would use this Tom Raper shop for work like this, but I've heard good comments about Southwest RV so maybe I'll check them out.

Looking for a shop with the ability and _lots_ of experience doing alignment work and installing sway bars, shocks, and TruCenters on the Roadmaster chassis.
Any good shop that works on large trucks should able to replace the shocks. If it were me I would make a trip to Orlando and get Josam's to do the alignment and ride height. Save the TruCenter for last and ask Blue Ox who they would recommend in your area.

If your purchase a sway bar and ride enhancement kit from Soruce Engineering they can suggest someone in the area to do the insatallation.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
YC1... they have a dyno for a rig of that size? WOW.
They do and it is a bit noisy and impressive.

The digi cr chip added 52 hp and 150 lbs of torque. I don't know how much the fan added because it is already installed.

So overall on my 08 400 ISL I picked up about 75 hp and and about 175-200 lbs of torque. And my mileage has increased about 1.5 mpg. Hill climbing is excellent.

With sway bars, new shocks, fresh four wheel alignement, and the ride enhancement valves I hardly noticed the wind yesterday and it really corners like a dream. Fears of finding a harsh ride with the enhancement valves was quickly forgotten.

Noticing a bit of road crown and cross wind has help me decide to reinstall my safe-t-plus because of the trim kit that allows me to compensate for those issues.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks