Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #29

From my personal experience on my Onan Genny, my unit had 200 hours total of genny time on it and all three genny glow plugs failed.

They didn’t all fail at the same time, It had been slow to start with long crank times for quite some time and I didn’t realize it was only operating on one glow plug until the last one finally failed and it would not start at all.

Many members here helped me to diagnose the issue and I was sure that I could get it to start using a heat gun and some WD-40 down the intake …….nothing. I had to have 3 glow plugs replaced.

IMO if you replacing glow plugs I would replace all of them, if you U-Tube some video on glow plugs you will see plenty of demonstrations of glow plugs that still work …..however very very slow to heat up ….just saying.

Happy Hunting
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Your Onan HDKAJ has a Kubota Engine ! ( D905 in fact).
Just Google Kubota D905 Glow Plugs and you'll find Prices all across the board.
Here is where I buy all of my Kubota Parts>>Kubota tractor parts catalog | Kubota engine parts
Thanks for the info NHRA...I just got a quote from a local truck service centre quoting $121 EACH for the onan (cummins) plugs. Not good!

I'm waiting on NAPA for a price now.

I will now follow your lead as we do have a Kubota Tractor dealer here.
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
From my personal experience on my Onan Genny, my unit had 200 hours total of genny time on it and all three genny glow plugs failed.

They didn’t all fail at the same time, It had been slow to start with long crank times for quite some time and I didn’t realize it was only operating on one glow plug until the last one finally failed and it would not start at all.

Many members here helped me to diagnose the issue and I was sure that I could get it to start using a heat gun and some WD-40 down the intake …….nothing. I had to have 3 glow plugs replaced.

IMO if you replacing glow plugs I would replace all of them, if you U-Tube some video on glow plugs you will see plenty of demonstrations of glow plugs that still work …..however very very slow to heat up ….just saying.

Happy Hunting
Yes I'm definitely going to change all three...seems like a good idea if I'm in there anyway.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #32

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Thanks for the info NHRA...I just got a quote from a local truck service centre quoting $121 EACH for the onan (cummins) plugs. Not good!

I'm waiting on NAPA for a price now.

I will now follow your lead as we do have a Kubota Tractor dealer here.
Your Welcome !
I have an HDKAJ out in my shop and I'll send pictures of the top cover removed and the exact location of your Glow Plugs, Tools and Socket required to change them out.
If You Like !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Your Welcome !
I have an HDKAJ out in my shop and I'll send pictures of the top cover removed and the exact location of your Glow Plugs, Tools and Socket required to change them out.
If You Like !
No worries, I have a parts manual from VERAKEN that shows location and I found a youtube video showing how to test them. Hopefully I'm a go once I find some reasonably priced plugs.

On the link that you sent me for the D905 engine, there are two different part numbers for glow plugs. How do I know which one is for me or would either one work?
I'm giving those parts numbers to the local Kubota dealer.

So Kubota manufactures the engine and Onan Cummins markets and sells them? Is that how it works?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
No worries, I have a parts manual from VERAKEN that shows location and I found a youtube video showing how to test them. Hopefully I'm a go once I find some reasonably priced plugs.

On the link that you sent me for the D905 engine, there are two different part numbers for glow plugs. How do I know which one is for me or would either one work?
I'm giving those parts numbers to the local Kubota dealer.

So Kubota manufactures the engine and Onan Cummins markets and sells them? Is that how it works?

Thanks!
Just pulled the file on my HDKAJ and I miss-quoted you the Engine info : The HDKAJ Has the Kubota D-722 series Not the D905 as I previously stated ! I appologize- Senior moment.

Kubota Manufactures the Diesel Engines for Onan and has been going way back in the 80's, these 3 cylinder Engines are also used in Tractors, Lawn Mowers ECT.
My Antique 92 Eagle has and older style Onan 8.0 (DKDFJ) with a Kubota D950 28hp Engine, although not as quiet as the newer style it's extremely reliable- 8500 hours since I rebuilt back in 96.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Just pulled the file on my HDKAJ and I miss-quoted you the Engine info : The HDKAJ Has the Kubota D-722 series Not the D905 as I previously stated ! I appologize- Senior moment.

Kubota Manufactures the Diesel Engines for Onan and has been going way back in the 80's, these 3 cylinder Engines are also used in Tractors, Lawn Mowers ECT.
My Antique 92 Eagle has and older style Onan 8.0 (DKDFJ) with a Kubota D950 28hp Engine, although not as quiet as the newer style it's extremely reliable- 8500 hours since I rebuilt back in 96.
Okay thanks Chuck. There are glow plugs for D-722 series at our local Kubota dealer for $90 a piece. Still pretty expensive but $30 cheaper than the OEM plug. However that is the reality of buying parts in Canada. Always way more expensive than in the States. I could order some from the States but when you factor in the exchange rate, duties and taxes I doubt it would be much cheaper. I'm going to do an ohms test on my plugs and see if they are working or not before I buy three new ones.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and information! This forum makes things so much easier for us RV owners.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #36

If you type in Kabota glow plugs in Amazon ca. you will get a whole pile of different plugs.
The average price is $25. I can't help with the part # but the one should be there.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use a NGK YE01 NGK2649 ~$16 from Rockauto

or evil bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-NGK...ZaT-RS&vxp=mtr
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #38

Why a $15 Glow Plug would be $90 in Canada is beyond me !
Help me out Here !
Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy70 View Post
If you type in Kabota glow plugs in Amazon ca. you will get a whole pile of different plugs.
The average price is $25. I can't help with the part # but the one should be there.
Darn not seeing it there...my generator is 15 years old so maybe that doesn't help.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
I use a NGK YE01 NGK2649 ~$16 from Rockauto

or evil bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-NGK...ZaT-RS&vxp=mtr
What Kubota engine series do you have?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Why a $15 Glow Plug would be $90 in Canada is beyond me !
Help me out Here !
I just don't get it either...plus I have to pay another 11% tax on top of that.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #42

My Glowplug Pic

Here is a pic of one of my plugs. All three had fairly high resistance on my multi-meter ohm setting.

Note the black deposit on the glow end of the plug. Is that normal? Could it be from not working?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glowplugpic.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	188140  

Tags
install, onan