Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Onan 7500 problem

Hi folks,
I posted this on the Monocoers site as well.

Over the past two years the generator in our 04 HR Imperial (Onan Quietdiesel 7500) has faulted on a code 11 several times. Today I got the time to dig into it and look for a reason.
I unplugged shore power and started it. As soon as the load built to 4a it faulted. I repeated the process several time to confirm a hard failure. I then went to the main power panel and turned off all the brealers but the two mains. I restarted the genny and it held. I then started adding loads by turning on the breakers one at a time then waiting a couple of minutes between. I turned on the inverter breakers last and the darned thing held, for 2 hours with the electric element in the Aquahot on and the A/Cs both on.
There have never been any issues when the coach is on shore power. Any ideas or indications to look for folks?
Ron
Pusherpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When you start it with all the loads on, how long does it take before the generator faults? Is it possible the time delay before loading the generator isn't enough for it to be ready to take the load? When you started it with the breakers off, it may have had enough time before you turned the breakers on to warm up and stabilize the engine and electronics.
tquarles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
When you start it with all the loads on, how long does it take before the generator faults? Is it possible the time delay before loading the generator isn't enough for it to be ready to take the load? When you started it with the breakers off, it may have had enough time before you turned the breakers on to warm up and stabilize the engine and electronics.
I'm going to go out and do a cold start tomorrow morning to see what it does.
Today it was faulting when the load was picked up and the ammeter started showing around 4a. It always runs for about a minute before it loads up.

What it has done in the past is after a period of time sometimes up to an hour it would fault, then continue to fault in a serial fashion, usually while driving to get the A/Cs running, or run the microwave at a rest stop etc. Our microwave will run on the inverter but it is painfully slow, taking 2-3 time as long to heat something. I hate intermittents, they take forever to find and if you need to take it in hours of repair time at big bucks per hour!!
Ron
Pusherpilot is offline   Reply With Quote