Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Onan generator won't stay running

Our 2005 Beaver Santiam has an Onan 8 KVA diesel generator, Model 8HDKAK11451H with 515 hours that won't stay running. It may run for 10-15 minutes or an hour and then shut down. The code flashes 3 times. I have changed all the filters and the engine was recently serviced. We are planning to attend the FMCA Rally in Indy in July and will definitely need it since it is all primitive camping.
Looking for some direction here, since the code offers no help!
SPARKS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

I had the same problem.

We have the same coach as you do, and we had the exact same problem. The problem we had was alge in the fuel tank. It was old black chunks sitting on the bottom of the tank and they would get sucked into the fuel pick up and shut the generator down. I would clean the filter but it never looked dirty. It would run for an hour some times, or all day. Sometimes it would shut down after 10 minutes.
I fixed it by polishing the fuel in the tank (look it up on the web. I did not know about it before this myself) by building a filter and pump system to do the job. I would put the pick up line for the polishing system in the tank from one side, run the fuel through the filters, then send it back to the tank from the other side. I did this until the black chunks stopped showing up in the sump of the inline fuel filter on the polishing system.
I also added an additional inline Racor Snapp fuel filter as it made seeing the chunks easy and it has a drain on it.
So far this has fixed the problem.
Good luck with your Santiam.
Austintec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You need to hit the stop button to get the secondary part of the code. It's in the manual how to do it, along with what the codes mean.
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar trouble with mine, it would run a few minutes and shut down, also would not do the clicking but would start cranking right away when pressing the start switch. The secondary code was over temp I believe. All fluids were fine so did some research and found temp sending unit was bad, it was shorting out and telling the ecu it was too hot. A friend had the water pump belt break and it would run a few minutes also and stop. You see the belt and the sending unit if you take the top of gen compartment off. If you see the belt is ok, and you trust all else is fine, you could disconnect the sending unit wire to see if gen runs longer,,,,, you have to understand, if it overheats you could ruin the engine. there is some very good info online about this and how to change the sending unit. I could only find the sending unit at onan/cummins. ( I now carry a spare) Check the water pump belt first, but you can see both with top top off.
Good luck,
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just to add more about the water temp sending unit, it breaks many times when removing it from the thermostat housing, leaving part of it in the housing. Be careful not to break the aluminum housing. I drained the coolant down below the thermostat stuffed a rag down the housing and used a punch to knock the piece of the sending unit out. easy to see from top. bought spare gasket for housing and replaced thermostat too. You have to drill a hole in plastic inside of generator compartment to get socket on the sending unit.( and cover hole when done, I used aluminum tape on both sides of hole.
Hope it's the belt, that's easier, but really not that bad a job, I did it in rv park with tools on hand.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Generator thermostat.

Hello. Don't overlook the thermostat. My 12,500 watt Onan generator would run only a few minutes then shut down. I bought my coach damaged, and the generator radiator was punctured from the accident. Even after replacing the radiator it would still shut doen. It turned out to be the thermostat. By the way if anyone ever needs a new radiator for the Onan 12,500 watt unit a 1979 VW rabbit diesel radiator is a perfect fit after a little trimming.
thedoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You guys are all smarter than me, and I'm sure you thought of this, but I'll ask... do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel in the rv, our genny shuts down when it gets that low...
just trying to help
Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #8

I took my RV to a Onan Cummings garage to find the problem. They say it is a fuel problem. I asked if they have a filtration system to " Polish the fuel" , they don" t. Does anyone know of a garage in the Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus Ohio area that does? Has anyone had any luck with additives to put in the fuel that would clean the tank and get the algae and sludge out?? I saw a product AFC 750 on line that claims will work, has anyone use this or another product?
SPARKS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan