Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
After fighting with the square-head drain plug and using a bolt extractor to unscrew it for a year or two, I replaced it with a "regular" brass plug from Onan. Unless I missed something here, there is no crush washer or o-ring on either of these. Just don't seem right to me. I considered some teflon tape but was afraid it might get into the oil flow and putz-up a bearing.

Comments? Observations? Free beer?

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
After fighting with the square-head drain plug and using a bolt extractor to unscrew it for a year or two, I replaced it with a "regular" brass plug from Onan. Unless I missed something here, there is no crush washer or o-ring on either of these. Just don't seem right to me. I considered some teflon tape but was afraid it might get into the oil flow and putz-up a bearing.

Comments? Observations? Free beer?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hey Bama...
Why do you always post when the technical guys are off messing around!??
Sacs should be back on in awhile ... and I am sure Diplomat Don will take you up on the free beer eventually...didn't he say he had to go back to your neck of the woods for trainng one more time? (Was it him or someone else? )

No matter what...glad to see that I am not the only one not enjoying my rig right now!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Awwww shucks Mama, I am enjoying it. The greasy fingernails and skint knuckles is a Man Thang, gruntgruntgrunt.

While I am up under here and I have your attention, does anyone know where the heck the air filter/dryer might be located? I opened the drain petcocks on both tanks and neither produced any moisture, so It's gotta be "somewhere". I read that there is a filter and desiccant cannister on the '98 Dynasty, but I'll be a one-eyed hoot-owl if I can find it!
Old 04-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have heard it spit, but never was in a position to figure out where the sound was coming from. Good tip though, I'll find it eventually.

That drain plug doesn't have a wide shoulder on it that would accommodate a crush washer so I guess it's just thread-to-thread sealing. I'll keep an eye on it for seepage for awhile.

Thanks for the Brew.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Go here for info on your air dryer:

http://www.hbsna.com/Documents/Installation_Guides/Air_...ish)_L31166_9-02.pdf

http://www.hbsna.com/Documents/Installation_Guides/Air_...ish)_L31052_1-01.pdf

http://www.hbsna.com/Documents/Installation_Guides/Air_...1146_2-02new_Eng.pdf

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excellent Rex! Thanks for the links. I recall seeing a devise that looked like one of those diagrams and wondering what the heck it's function could be. Time to crawl back underneath and trace some lines to pin this down.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I talked to the Onan folks about that stoopid drain-plug.

They said they have a guy whose sole job is to install the plugs when new. His job-qualification only consisted of the following requirement: "Must be able to fasten small soft-metal plug so tight that most owners and technicians will (1) break off the head of the plug, (2) strip the flats off the head, and/or (3) break a socket while performing the aforementioned tasks". He added that the current guy has been a WWF champion 128 times, and they call him anything he wants them to.

Why why why do they put it on so tight? It'd not like there's 3000psi of pressure on the other end. Only thing I can figure is that not having the washer that 'Bama mentioned causes the mating surfaces to seize/gall just enough to make it almost impossible to remove. I can't find the reference right now, but someone here had once suggested replacing the plug with a petcock there too - a darn good idea!

Hope ya find the air-dryer, and the same Onan guy wasn't filling-in for that other installer when yours was built.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you could find one of these to fit the Onan it might make things more pleasant. I had one on my last diesel truck.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CODl...FSGDkwod5XnACA

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:22 AM   #10

Ron, if your genny is a 7500QD it should take a 3/8" drive X 6" extension upside down. Fits right over the plug. Use whatever to turn the extensoin. Yes mine was pretty tight the 1st time I changed the oil in ours.
The air dryer on our coach is behind the passenger side rear wheels. Sometimes the same guy put's it on also. In that case it's easier to totally remove the dryer and put it on your work bench closer to the beer. Like you, have never found any moisture in the air tanks so the thing musr really work since where I live there is no shortage of moisture in the air. Had so much yesterday it built up and flooded all the streets, about 8" in 4hrs.
That would be an expensive beer whoever bought. I'll send you an IOU. Just take it to Wally World, they know us there.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
LOL, yep those sound like the qualifications for the plug installation technician. I have to assume that his knuckles drag the ground when (if) he walks upright.

That aftermarket drain plug would be nice but there is barely enough room to access mine with a 9/16 socket.

Yep, I tried the "wrong" end of a 3/8 extension and couldn't budge the blasted thing. I ended up using a bolt extractor on an impact wrench and ordering a replacement from Onan. They now supply a nice brass plug with a 9/16 head.

In retrospect, the culprit who tightened my drain plugs (engine oil also) was probably not Monaco employed. My first do-it-yourself service was accomplished with over 30K miles on the engine and 300+ hours on the generator. I had to drill out the oil sump drain plug!

Rain in crawdad land huh? Just got a nice 3/4" shower here. We were getting pretty dry and needed the moisture.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,
On my 99 Dynasty, the drier was behind the rear axle, mounted high on the driver's side. I would get under the motorhome and sit behind the rear axle in the open space to change the filter.

2008 Camelot 40 PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
Ron....the air dryer is one of those filters I carry as a spare. Use a large strap (like the yellow trucker straps) and a pair of vice grips to remove it. Probably should be changed every two years (about $75.00). If one goes bad on the road, you'll need to replace it immediately. I keep the two fuel filters and air dryer filter on board. When I do my service I rotate the spares in and keep the new ones as spares.

I think you would be okay with teflon tape on the drain plug if you keep the tape closer to the head of the plug.

2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote