Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #1

Onan troubles

Picked up my recently purchased 2004 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor on Wed. 8/28/2013 and the 7.5 Onan ran flawlessly all day. On Thurs. had the gen running for several hours while moving in with all of the items from our Sea Breeze when I heard the Onan throttle back. I assumed that the AC's had cycled and the gen throttled back from lack of demand. (I am still learning about this coach) but never returned to the RPM it had been running. After some checking, I found that there was no 110 voltage other that from the inverter. I shut down the Onan and let it cool then restarted only to find that it again throttled back to a lower RPM. Still no output from the gen. I finally moved the coach so I could plug into shore power. Today I tried the Onan to see if it would generate electricity and it does not. I have checked for tripped breakers in the breaker box as well as on the Onan. One by one, I cut them off and back on and still no juice. Any suggestions. On another note, The Girard Awning has deployed twice with no one around. STRANGE. I have some other issues but will try to take them one at a time. Thanks for any response or ideas.

PAPA "J"
PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA J View Post
Picked up my recently purchased 2004 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor on Wed. 8/28/2013 and the 7.5 Onan ran flawlessly all day. On Thurs. had the gen running for several hours while moving in with all of the items from our Sea Breeze when I heard the Onan throttle back. I assumed that the AC's had cycled and the gen throttled back from lack of demand. (I am still learning about this coach) but never returned to the RPM it had been running. After some checking, I found that there was no 110 voltage other that from the inverter. I shut down the Onan and let it cool then restarted only to find that it again throttled back to a lower RPM. Still no output from the gen. I finally moved the coach so I could plug into shore power. Today I tried the Onan to see if it would generate electricity and it does not. I have checked for tripped breakers in the breaker box as well as on the Onan. One by one, I cut them off and back on and still no juice. Any suggestions. On another note, The Girard Awning has deployed twice with no one around. STRANGE. I have some other issues but will try to take them one at a time. Thanks for any response or ideas.

PAPA "J"
Papa,

You could have a bad transfer switch. There is a transfer switch, may be near your shore power cord, that contains a large relay. This relay defaults to generator power and is energized by power from the generator. In other words, when the generator is turned on the relay energizes and connects the coach AC power distribution system to the generator. When the generator is not outputting power the relay releases and connects the coach distribution system to the shore power cord. If the transfer switch has a problem it may not be connecting the generator power to the distribution system. If you know how to use a multimeter you can check this out. Be careful.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:07 AM   #3

The QD series will refuse to continue running at all if it's not making any AC voltage, and if the voltage is wrong it will run for only 10 secs or so, shut off and set a blinking trouble code on the on/off switch - therefore your voltage is not making it to the breaker OR as suggested above you have a failing/failed transfer switch.

My suggestion is (with the genset off) to remove the bolts around front cover and the cover mounting the breaker(s). Look inside and around - make sure either wire from the breaker(s) on the genset have not come loose. They are just .250 spade connectors that hold the wires on the back of the breaker(s) - and with heating up, cooling down (expansion/contraction) and vibration it's not uncommon for one or more of them to work loose.

Tags
onan