RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #1

Heading out for a weekend getaway. Making a left hand turn from a red light and I hear a little"Pop". A few moments later I look up and notice the upper corner on the drivers side is broke. Right where the windshied turns around the corner.

Sent a e-mail off to Monaco and will see what they say.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #2

Heading out for a weekend getaway. Making a left hand turn from a red light and I hear a little"Pop". A few moments later I look up and notice the upper corner on the drivers side is broke. Right where the windshied turns around the corner.

Sent a e-mail off to Monaco and will see what they say.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Oooooh, that's a bummer. Was it hit by a stone, or just cracked? This must be a new rig... I'm asking because we're about to embark on our first trip in our new '06 Beaver Marquis, also with the one piece windshield...

Hope it's covered under warranty!
Old 03-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #4

Since I was only moving a couple MPH and no one else was in the intersection it wasn't hit by anything. Think it was a stress related.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Carl,
That is a typical area for a stress crack to come from.

Sorry bout that.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ours did a similar thing on the way to the Elkhart factory. The difference in ours was that the crack started at the bottom near the curve in the flat part on the drivers side. Once at the factory, the service writer indicated that this was most likely due to a rock and as such not a warrany problem. When we picked up the coach, he showed me the glass and tried to make a case for a rock hit and presented a bill for about $1000.

2006 Monaco Knight 40DFD
dwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:56 AM   #7

Sorry to hear about your windshield. We have a new Contessa with the one piece windshield, so I'm curious to see how you make out. I'm sure Monaco will make good on it. Just hope it's not an on going thing. Good luck.

Bruce

Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This is not good. I have a crack that started in the bottom of the drivers side near the curve and extends 2' up. Thought it might have been a result of off level parking in a CG. I use the auto levelers (jacks) and if they won't level it all the way I leave it. I marked the end of the crack and in the past year it's gone about 1" beyond. I also have rock chips in other areas and am way over warranty so I was going to wait a year or two and just do it on the insurance.

Another thing has happened. A noise similar to something scraping or rolling around has started in the front cap on the drivers side to the left of the TV. Usually starts when we first start off and drive away from a CG. I have visions of a broken member of the "cage" structure flailing around up there. I need to get in there and have a look see. Anybody have similar experience?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Very sorry to hear about that.

If'n it was me, I'd certainly get Monaco in the loop especially since it is so new.

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #10

We had a similar problem on our 06 Dip 40PDQ - except ours was the lower right corner - started as a small crack after a loud pop, then after a period of time it extended in a cirular fasion about three feet total in length. Our dealer, Vogt RV in Ft Worth diagnosed as a bad windshield. Monaco sent a new one under warranty - it did not make it out of the dealership before it cracked in the same place. New diagnosis was an irregularity in the front cap lower windshield channel. So Monaco sends out a second windshield and it arrives broken in shipment. Another is sent out and off the coach goes to N Texas RV in Denton for a cap rework. It comes back and all is well for almost 6000 miles, much of it in winding mountainess terrain. Monaco never questioned anything and the folks at Vogt and N texas RV were great. Only down note is the 2 week turnaround to get each windshield from the factory. Everything was covered under warranty BTW.

This propably will be my last post as we are now proud owners of an 07 Zephyr. If however the administrators will let me "lurk" in the background I may pop up from time to time to relay my Monaco experiences.

Thanks to all for the info learned and shared on this site!!
wpitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #11

We have a 40' 2007 diplomat. Windshield cracked on a 45 degree angle across the middle from top to bottom while parked in our yard. No rock chips or evidence of damage. Monaco has shipped us a new windshield but our local dealer is having trouble finding someone willing to replace it. Glass companies say they won't touch it because the ones they have changed have broken again. Other RV dealers and people in the business say there have been numerous reports these windshields breaking. Does Monaco have a fix for this or after the warrenty is up are we going to have to cover the cost of replacement? We deel if this re-occurs Monaco should have to cover the replacement. If this is going to be an on going problem due to design flaw they should be responsible. We love the coach and hate to think we could be having this happen again. Jay
cobraclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:25 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome cobracian to irv2.
Your on the right forum to keep a record of everyone having problems with windshields if dealers or such say it was a rock.
The more that post on the problem should help.
Enjoy the forums and do post often and hopefully not on the same subject.
If you want to be a member of forum let "ronboc" know and he will fix you up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:28 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hi cobraclan -

Welcome to irv2 We're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. Enjoy the forums and post often, and when you want to be a official member of the forum just let me know.

Bummer about the windshield, Jay. Unfortunately, you're not in an exclusive club but I know that doesn't help you a lot right now. Interesting that it's on a Dip' too, most of the ones I've heard about have been Camelots/Scepters, for some reason. I can understand local companies not wanting to do the replacement, it is a very tricky operation to get right.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd sure try to get to one of the Monaco Service center to get the work done. They seem to be getting LOTS of experience in doing 'em.

And a definite good idea to keep records, might show a trend and not a fluke happening.

Good Luck!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #14

F Y I - My local glass company and Monaco have finally talked with each other about my crack. Now I am waiting to hear what Monaco says about a replacement.

Carl