Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ouch - Air Dryer Rebuild

Stopped in Albuquerque, NM for a couple of days on this current trip, and when we went to leave on Sunday, drove a short ways and stopped at a Flying J were we lost air...brakes locked. Had to call Couch-Net and they sent a mobile repair... who bypassed the dryer and I was able to drive to their shop. Monday morning they diagnosed as bad air dryer.....rebuild kit and bypass valve and some replacement hose were $200 ..... the book called for 6 hours...they did it in 4, plus the 1 hour service call to the Flying J....the disturbing part was that some of the air hoses to the dryer were jury rigged by someone prior to my buying the MH, and where the dryer is located, you would never even notice..according to the tech, one wasn't even connected.....very sloppy....I never thought my air bags worked all that great....after the repair they seemed to work better....anyway....just venting....An unexpected $800 bill is not a great start to our trip
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Very fair price on work and parts. I hope all that read this will get their dryers serviced as suggested instead of waiting for them to fail. Unnecessary expense and never happens at a good time.

Hope the rest of the trip is great!!
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I wasn't upset with the pricing.....just the fact I had to spend the money....and frankly, I didn't know you were supposed to service the unit regularly....I watched them take it off and rebuild it, it is not an easy job!!! The tech said it was the original filter...mine is a 01!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
teoff......I carry the two fuel filters and the air dryer filter as spares. Realistically, I'll probably never need the air dryer on the road, but if one goes bad.....everything locks up as you know. Monaco kind of hides them and some people don't realize that they're even there. I know it's overkill, but I change mine every year. Since I do my own work and save money on the labor, I change all of the filters every year.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Diplomat:
Being in the top 3 of the least mechanical people on the planet (good thing I could sell something once in a while!!), I, unfortunatly have to have my work done...but I do have all the filters changed annually...I will add this to my maintainence list....
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce it needs service each 2 or 3 yrs according to where you live and the kit for the Pure Air Plus is a DQ 6026 and cost +- $130.
I carry a 3/4 T with fittings in the end that will connect to the dryer lines and a 3/4 to 1/4 bushing for the sensing line to hook to, just in case I have a dryer failure I can get home.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #7

Where is the air dryer filter located? I have a 2006 Camelot and I am fairly certain nothing has been done on this. My coach is at the Cummins service center right now getting some warranty work and annual service and they didn't say anything about the air dryer.
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #8

On some earlier Camelots it was on the driver's side between the drive axle and the radiator on the outside of the frame rail. It could be accessible from inside a compartment or you might have to access from under the coach. It should be addressed in your coach owners manual.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen View Post
Where is the air dryer filter located? I have a 2006 Camelot and I am fairly certain nothing has been done on this. My coach is at the Cummins service center right now getting some warranty work and annual service and they didn't say anything about the air dryer.

And your Air Dryer Disiccant will probaly be a Meritor Wabco R955205 and takes a Disiccant cartage part # R950011 and there was a post on another forum with a URL that said the price was $28.50 for the filter shipped to you.
Kenworth of Jacksonville, FL
Also E bay has them for under $40
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #10

Thanks Walt, Will and Don for putting up the info and part # for dryrer service parts. Coming up on doing full service soon , will add this. Just adjusted my steering, no play makes it a breeze to steer. I believe in spares and doing my own work, only cause I gotta do it myself. I carry a 120 volt 10 gal 130 psi air compressor on trips just in case my engine compressor fails. At least I could unlock the brakes and get home, unless the eng compressor locked up since its gear driven. Little off subject but more info is always better. Working towards S.A. to Boston trip soon in Discovery 38 with young kids so don't need any breakdowns wit
Thanks Again
KC
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Do any of you guys know if these are the same parts for a 2008 Signature? I'm getting ready to have my oil changed at the Cummins Service Center along with all of the filters and a chase lube. I might as well add this service also.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The unit was in the same location as described on my Dynasty...the only access to mine was from under the coach.....
Old 04-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everyone, I am the one that posted the site on the other yahoo group mentioned above. I bought two of the filters from Kenworth of Jacksonville, Fl. and they are the same filter as needed for most all of the motorhomes. The price is free shipping and no tax.
I change my filter about every 1 to 1&1/2 yr. depending on where I travel. If you open the pet cock on the front of the coach and drain the air out of the tanks once a month as the manuel descrebes, and if any water comes out of the pet cock then it is time to change the filter. When traveling in the south and south east where there is a lot of humidity, then you will have to change the filter more often.
Bill