Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

Our beloved Aladdin is dead! Now what?

Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing the passing of our Aladdin system a few days ago or at least the main module in the dash.

The issue started right after a local company replaced our inverter with a new Magnum inverter and installed new solar panels. Since that day the 7.5 amp fuse for the Aladdin system keeps on popping. We've had our 2004 Monaco Windsor with another shop for the last 10 days or so. Although they did find issues with the inverter and solar install, which they fixed, they concluded that the main Aladdin module under the dash is the cause for the short.

It seems like we only have 2 options, other than just leaving it broken:

1.) We find a replacement for the fried module and try that.

2.) We replace the system with the SilverLeaf system. The problem with that is that (a) their system doesn't look maintained; their website is scary, (b) they are very slow to reply to emails, and (c) the cost seems to be $5,000+.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

Kevin
InsuredApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
Checked on the same thing a few weeks ago. Got this from Silverleaf:

All prices are in US Dollars...

The Engine Monitor, the VMS330 is $995.00, if you have Side Cameras, you need to add the VDX404 at $249.00.

For the Holding Tanks, we use the Garnett See-Level System, which are a Strip that Attaches to the outside of the tank. The KT401 is the Display/Electronics which is $299.00, and you will also need one sensor per tank, and some of the Beavers have a Taller Fresh Tank, so you Might need an additional Tank Strip. These are $69.00, each so that would be $207.00 to $276.00 for the Sensors.

For the AC/DC Monitoring, you most likely have the Black SurgeGuard Transfer Switch. If this is the Original SurgeGuard, you will need out TM102 to connect it to the rest of our Units, the TM102 is $695.00. If your SurgeGuard has been replaced with a newer version, that is called the 40250 RV-C or 40350 RV-C, then the TM102 is not needed. These RV-C SurgeGuard Units can be connected directly to our Units.

The DC Monitoring, ( and the Older Gray Esco Transfer Switches ) are connected through our TM240 Units, which is $249.00.

Allow around $200.00 for various Harnesses, and that sounds like what you will need to replace out your Aladdin System..
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #3

I've visited the guys at Silverleaf-They are busy, but not to busy to answer my questions in person. I think 5k is a good number.

Try NW RV Supply for a main board, there is another salvage yard back east that has Aladdin parts Aladdin: nwrvsupply.com

RV Parts Used Aladdin Video Coach System Monitor p/n 38050056 Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | Used Aladdin Video Coach System Monitor 38050056 model 440-05 | visonerv.com

Call visonerv as their website doesn't list all the aladdin parts they have
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandK View Post
Checked on the same thing a few weeks ago. Got this from Silverleaf:

All prices are in US Dollars...

The Engine Monitor, the VMS330 is $995.00, if you have Side Cameras, you need to add the VDX404 at $249.00.

For the Holding Tanks, we use the Garnett See-Level System, which are a Strip that Attaches to the outside of the tank. The KT401 is the Display/Electronics which is $299.00, and you will also need one sensor per tank, and some of the Beavers have a Taller Fresh Tank, so you Might need an additional Tank Strip. These are $69.00, each so that would be $207.00 to $276.00 for the Sensors.

For the AC/DC Monitoring, you most likely have the Black SurgeGuard Transfer Switch. If this is the Original SurgeGuard, you will need out TM102 to connect it to the rest of our Units, the TM102 is $695.00. If your SurgeGuard has been replaced with a newer version, that is called the 40250 RV-C or 40350 RV-C, then the TM102 is not needed. These RV-C SurgeGuard Units can be connected directly to our Units.

The DC Monitoring, ( and the Older Gray Esco Transfer Switches ) are connected through our TM240 Units, which is $249.00.

Allow around $200.00 for various Harnesses, and that sounds like what you will need to replace out your Aladdin System..
Thanks for the reply, insight, and thoughts...

Right now I'm thinking not to replace the system with another system, but rather just replace it with independent systems.

- New 4 camera system (2 rear, and 1 for each side)
- Tank monitors (like you mentioned)
- Temperature sensors via wireless sensors (we have those ready)
- Batteries via inverter control (installed already, Magnum remote...)

All in, think I should be below $1000 for that piecemeal solution.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
I've visited the guys at Silverleaf-They are busy, but not to busy to answer my questions in person. I think 5k is a good number.

Try NW RV Supply for a main board, there is another salvage yard back east that has Aladdin parts Aladdin: nwrvsupply.com

RV Parts Used Aladdin Video Coach System Monitor p/n 38050056 Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | Used Aladdin Video Coach System Monitor 38050056 model 440-05 | visonerv.com

Call visonerv as their website doesn't list all the aladdin parts they have
Thank you very much!

Did you end up getting the SilverLeaf system?

Their website just really worries me, and it looks like the last software update to the SilverLeaf system was June 2016. Looking at the forum posts, there seem to be a lot of bugs. I've got to "sell" my wife on a solution that will make things easier if I tell her we need the SilverLeaf system and end up with issue after issue... we know where this goes. And I don't want to spend $5,000 on a system will is likely to give me grief.

Everything is pointing to retiring the Aladdin system... and getting alternative tank monitoring in place, and a separate camera system.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #6

Hi,
Look at something called Scan D gauge. Hooks up to your camera and reports all of the engine functions that Alladin does. Cost is about 300.00 the last time I looked. SeeLevel is the best system for tank levels and there are any number of electrical reporting gauges available. On reflection SeeLevel may have one.. solar has a gauge available as well. That. Is all I use
Don
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Barber View Post
Hi,
Look at something called Scan D gauge. Hooks up to your camera and reports all of the engine functions that Alladin does. Cost is about 300.00 the last time I looked. SeeLevel is the best system for tank levels and there are any number of electrical reporting gauges available. On reflection SeeLevel may have one.. solar has a gauge available as well. That. Is all I use
Don
Hi Don, thank you!

SeeLevel is just down the road from me, well kind of, so that makes me feel much better about them as well. I've got an engine code reader, which isn't as "nice" as a dash unit. Not sure what I actually need all that in for really... while driving that is.

Kevin
Old 06-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #8

Our Aladdin also recently died due to a bad joystick which are non existent in the market place. I purchased a small PC and use the Silverleaf for engine monitoring, bypassed the Aladdin directly to the monitor for the rear camera, installed the SeaLevel for the tanks, and have a Progressive EMS for the AC side. A pair of cheap eBay gauges monitor the generator. Haven't really missed the Aladdin.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've got the Silverleaf system / Aladdin replacement in our coach. It works great! It is a mature replacement system and has been debugged, so no software updates have been necessary in the last few years. I can recommend it.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuredApple View Post
Hi all,

It is with a heavy heart that I am announcing the passing of our Aladdin system a few days ago or at least the main module in the dash.

The issue started right after a local company replaced our inverter with a new Magnum inverter and installed new solar panels. Since that day the 7.5 amp fuse for the Aladdin system keeps on popping. We've had our 2004 Monaco Windsor with another shop for the last 10 days or so. Although they did find issues with the inverter and solar install, which they fixed, they concluded that the main Aladdin module under the dash is the cause for the short.

It seems like we only have 2 options, other than just leaving it broken:

1.) We find a replacement for the fried module and try that.

2.) We replace the system with the SilverLeaf system. The problem with that is that (a) their system doesn't look maintained; their website is scary, (b) they are very slow to reply to emails, and (c) the cost seems to be $5,000+.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

Kevin

Kevin, so sorry for your loss! Losing a loved one is never easy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:10 AM   #11

Likewise what Chet said. We converted our '06 Dynasty to the Silverleaf system. Very happy! Uses the original Kenwood monitors. Configure what you want to see on the screen. You can keep an eye on your toad with the monitor screens overlaid on the picture. I think we ended up at more like $3,500. No laptop sitting on or screwed to the dash. Looks like it was original equipment.

Also went to the SeeLevel system for our tanks. It's compatible with and reads right out on the Silverleaf just like the Aladdin system did.

We didn't, but you can even add your tire monitoring to the Silverleaf display.

The only thing we lost by going to the Silverleaf was the ability to view the cameras from the bedroom monitor screen. It is now a data display screen only, and only shows the coach data. I thought that might be something I'd miss, but so far I've never noticed it to be unavailable.

Now, finally, if you've got a money tree that hasn't been harvested yet, they'll do a glass dash replacement that is absolutely awesome!!! They'll make it look like it came with the coach, and it really is incredible. I'm thinking that's another $2K to $3K.

I think you've implied that you live in the Pacific Northwest. If so, FMCA is having their NW Area Rally the week after next in Longview/Kelso. Silverleaf will be there! They may even be able to do a conversion for you at the event. They normally do install a few systems at the rally's for those that purchase them there. Check it out!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
Our Aladdin also recently died due to a bad joystick which are non existent in the market place. I purchased a small PC and use the Silverleaf for engine monitoring, bypassed the Aladdin directly to the monitor for the rear camera, installed the SeaLevel for the tanks, and have a Progressive EMS for the AC side. A pair of cheap eBay gauges monitor the generator. Haven't really missed the Aladdin.
Hi Falconman, thanks for your reply!

I will have to see if I can also bypass Aladdin for the rear view camera. The read view camera isn't terrible, but it's also not the best. I am sure it was super in 2004 when they put it in. If I can get it to work somehow, then maybe it will do for a while yet.

Once we have the coach back, hopefully on Monday, I'll get crack'n and come up with a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
I've got the Silverleaf system / Aladdin replacement in our coach. It works great! It is a mature replacement system and has been debugged, so no software updates have been necessary in the last few years. I can recommend it.
Hey Super. Thanks for the feedback on SilverLeaf. Did you have them install it? Is that how it works, you drop it off and they put it in? I just noticed some comments about bugs and such, so that worried be a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Kevin, so sorry for your loss! Losing a loved one is never easy!
Thank you! These are hard times and we truly appreciate your thoughts. We are still in a period of mourning, but hopefully, it will pass and we can say goodbye to our friend; Aladdin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Likewise what Chet said. We converted our '06 Dynasty to the Silverleaf system. Very happy! Uses the original Kenwood monitors. Configure what you want to see on the screen. You can keep an eye on your toad with the monitor screens overlaid on the picture. I think we ended up at more like $3,500. No laptop sitting on or screwed to the dash. Looks like it was original equipment.

Also went to the SeeLevel system for our tanks. It's compatible with and reads right out on the Silverleaf just like the Aladdin system did.

We didn't, but you can even add your tire monitoring to the Silverleaf display.

The only thing we lost by going to the Silverleaf was the ability to view the cameras from the bedroom monitor screen. It is now a data display screen only, and only shows the coach data. I thought that might be something I'd miss, but so far I've never noticed it to be unavailable.

Now, finally, if you've got a money tree that hasn't been harvested yet, they'll do a glass dash replacement that is absolutely awesome!!! They'll make it look like it came with the coach, and it really is incredible. I'm thinking that's another $2K to $3K.

I think you've implied that you live in the Pacific Northwest. If so, FMCA is having their NW Area Rally the week after next in Longview/Kelso. Silverleaf will be there! They may even be able to do a conversion for you at the event. They normally do install a few systems at the rally's for those that purchase them there. Check it out!
Hi K7JV,

Thank you for the insight.

It sure sounds appealing. Ah, something is not feeling right. Maybe it's their slow email replies or the website or using the Aladdin wiring.

We have awesome SensorPush temperature sensors that will monitor temperature throughout the coach (interior front, interior rear, fridge, freezer, storage bay 1 and 2, tank compartment, and battery compartment). They will be displayed on a 12.2 Samsung tablet mounted on the dash. So temperature monitoring should be taken care of.

Not having a backup camera is a bit painful, so I'm keen to get the backup camera going again. The camera isn't great, but it's also not super terrible. I've been looking at the 360-degree top-down camera systems, but their availability is causing issues. There are only a small handful of dealers who carry and install them and they aren't very responsive either. Reached our to VDO and Continental - nothing. Trying with Marathon right now, they have the VDO/Continental system, but it's slow too. -- This 360-degree camera dream probably won't happen, so I may install 2 rear cameras and 2 side cameras if I can run the cables to the front of the coach "easily" - um. It would be awesome if I could split the video system and also have it available on the 12.2 Samsung tablet...

As for the tank monitoring. We had issues with the tank monitoring when the Aladdin system was still alive (sniff), so I'm wondering if there are more issues that the Silverleaf system wouldn't resolve (because sensors aren't working right). We found out the SeaLevel is just down the street from us, so maybe we're best to just put their system in the coach.

The only other thing that the Aladdin system does is displaying the engine stats. I'm not sure how much I care to see them, they are "cool" but I don't really care that much. I've got an engine code reader that I use to grab engine codes and run diagnostics on the transmission and engine, it also display live stats when plugged in... I don't know.

All in all, I'm thinking I can probably get away with $1,000 - $1,500 and have a piecemeal system in place, that doesn't have a single point of failure. I'd hate to get to SilverLeaf or get a component installed, to find out more needs to be installed.

Not sure if any of my rambly thoughts make sense to anyone other than me
Old 06-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I have three Aladdin joy switches in the coach, two of which are never used. I think I'd just re-purpose one, but if I didn't have that option there is no shortage of 4-way momentary joystick switches around to choose from.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #14

Just a year ago as we started out on our Canadian Rockies trip, the tank monitoring system went kaput! After months on the road, I took the MH back to the dealer to have the aladdin tank module replaced. Stopped by Silverleaf in Salem to see what they could do. All it takes is money.

When I bought the coach, they said they knew where they could get parts for the aladdin. They had no parts. I hoped our extended warranty would pay to upgrade to aladdin, no dice. Dealer found a tank monitoring board at Vision RV salvage-$400. Put it in, all is well with the aladdin. Not so happy with our warranty company, but they are in the business to make money, not make me happy.
I installed a SeeLevel system on my TT, works great!
Good luck!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote