Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Congrats on the new coach. Please check the date codes on the tires, especially the front. If the tires are original they could be 8 to 9 years old. Most 2006 year model coaches were built in 2005 and would have tires with a date code in that time frame. Does not matter what the thread condition is, motorhome tires usually age out long before they wear out. You may be able to strike a deal with the seller on new tires.

Bob
The tires are original, which did cause me some concern. The Coach has been stored indoors when not on the road. The dealership offered to install all new tires at cost (around $2500.00 ) if I wanted. When I had the inspection done the technician told me he wouldn't change them for at least another year or more. So with that I got the dealership to put on the contract new tires within 24 months at the quoted $2500.00.

Should I reconsider and have it done now?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
You guys must feel different than me. If my DW was driving I would be so scared I couldn't do any work. I'd be in passengers seat trying to help her drive.

Chad
Though this is our first Motorhome, its not our first RV. We had had up to 38ft fifth wheels. My DW drove all the time. The only problem with her driving is our 3 dogs prefer her lap over mine . I can't sit still very long.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I also work out of my RV. I'm
Not sure how many hours a day you have to put in everyday. I don't travel on heavy work days or I'll stop every couple of hours and get my emails and do the important rush stuff and leave the rest till after I stop.
I use to work everyday behind my desk but I found my hours have evolved to the RV lifestyle as time went on.
Safe travels.
I am hoping the RV lifestyle makes me work less, will be a challenge. My work day starts around 4:30am daily (European clients) , I go non stop till about 2, take a nap for an hour and normally finish up around 7. Owning your own company is more than a full time job as you know. This whole RV thing was a suggestion made to me by my accountant. I travel weekly to see clients 6-7 months a year. What I spend on airfare, hotels, rental cars etc I will actually come out ahead buying the coach. The best thing is I will have my wife with me now and can still visit my distributors, all the while writing the cost off as a business expense while seeing America. When I brought it up to the wife, she was looking for a coach within minutes.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I have already today found a bump in our plans. Reading through many threads on different subjects I came across "towing your toad". Well I just bought the wife a new Ford Escape with part of the reason being the perfect toad. Now I read its the opposite, can't tow it with 4 down. I really don't want to pull a trailer with a car in it, but not having a car with us in not an option. Looks like I maybe becoming a regular at Enterprise for awhile.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgator View Post
I have a friend that is a certified Class A technician that has already done a complete inspection, the few issues he did find the dealership had already planned to address as well as some minor things I wanted fixed, gave me no hassle at all on any of my request. Porters RV is a really great bunch to work with. Final walk trough is this Friday.
Very good to hear!
I really didn't want to spook you, or cause any alarm.
Now just enjoy the thing. Congrats!
Old 05-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #20

We bought our "upgrade" MH from Porter's also...great bunch of people.

Would you consider a tow dolly? Our Mariner Hybrid (same as Escape) will go 4-down but I wanted a dolly so that's what we use.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
We bought our "upgrade" MH from Porter's also...great bunch of people.

Would you consider a tow dolly? Our Mariner Hybrid (same as Escape) will go 4-down but I wanted a dolly so that's what we use.
I wouldn't have a problem with a dolly at all, but from what I read on this forum you can't tow a new 2014 AWD Escape with 2 or 4 down without tearing up the tranny.

here is where I got the info: Good News For Ford TOADs (NTK's available again)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #22

Oh...AWH...hmmmmm
Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #23

Nice unit. Best of travels
Tires - Just do a search on this site.....all will become clear. I like the stories about the 'Blowout' and resulting damage.......

PS I'm lucky, my DW has the same Commercial truck license as myself.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The tires are original, which did cause me some concern. The Coach has been stored indoors when not on the road. The dealership offered to install all new tires at cost (around $2500.00 ) if I wanted. When I had the inspection done the technician told me he wouldn't change them for at least another year or more. So with that I got the dealership to put on the contract new tires within 24 months at the quoted $2500.00.

Should I reconsider and have it done now?
Your call. If it were me I would put the tires on now.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have already today found a bump in our plans. Reading through many threads on different subjects I came across "towing your toad". Well I just bought the wife a new Ford Escape with part of the reason being the perfect toad. Now I read its the opposite, can't tow it with 4 down. I really don't want to pull a trailer with a car in it, but not having a car with us in not an option. Looks like I maybe becoming a regular at Enterprise for awhile.
First let me say that we tow four down and always have with a 2006 Honda CRV. I did not want to deal with the dolly when we arrived at a campground. Looking back I might reconsider that decision and go with a dolly. The initial cost is about the same when setting up a new toad for four down or purchasing a dolly. The main reason I would now consider a dolly is that you can back up when you get in a tight spot without worrying about damage to the toad or the tow bar. If you do much traveling in unfamiliar territory you will find yourself unhooking to get out of a tight spot. When we had 5th wheels we could always back up to get out of places where there was not sufficient room to turn. Another benefit is you have a much larger choice of vehicles to choose from. My wife likes the Toyota RAV4 and the Prious but we don't purchase either because they are not towable four down.

Just giving you something to think about and a way out with the Ford Escape. Of course Enterprise Rent a Car is not going to be pleased with me.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I agree with Bob's previous comments.

Reelgator, my story is something like yours. When preparing to launch this adventure, my research showed that a Subaru with an automatic transmission needs to be towed on a trailer. I considered looking for another, more suitable toad, but keeping "her" Subaru became a non-negotiable condition to going fulltime and also to maintaining marital harmony while selling the house. So, full disclosure, towing a car hauler trailer with a 40 foot motorhome was not my first choice.

However, in the three years we've been doing this, I've come to like the advantages of towing with a trailer and think they even out-weigh the disadvantages. As Bob pointed out, the main advantage is that you can back up, not only when in a tight spot (and I've gotten us into several) but also when stopping for lunch or overnight at a truck stop or anywhere else where you might need to "parallel park" to get out of the way or back into a parking spot. Another main advantage is saving the mileage and the wear & tear on the toad, although this is partially offset by having the trailer to maintain. In my case, I also set up my bike rack at the front of the trailer (see picture) and, with the bike cover, it acts just like the "rock screens" that some people put in front of their toad.

As Bob mentioned, the cost is about the same or even cheaper for a trailer. My light car hauler trailer was $2500 new (it's a Triple Crown, made in Florida). By the time you add up the base plate, tow bar, light set-up, braking system and installation on a toad, it pretty well comes out even in the wash.

The main disadvantage is always having the extra length to deal with. With the trailer, my rig is 60 feet, and even if I drop the car off the trailer, I still need 60 feet in any RV park we go to. However, I find that for us and the way we travel, this isn't that much of a limitation. We just choose RV Parks where there are spaces to accommodate us, including parks where the spaces are only 40 feet deep but are wide enough to park the trailer beside the motorhome. Except when on the move between seasons (we are snowbirds), we tend to stay for a few weeks to a month at a time when we stop so, for me, dropping the trailer and parking it beside the motorhome - when I have to - is no big deal. If I do need to drop the trailer to park it, I usually move it around with the car, which was already set up with a compatible hitch.

In summary:

Advantages are ability to back up (big plus) and less wear & tear on the toad.
Cost is about the same.
Disadvantages are extra length (which may limit choice of RV Parks) and one more "vehicle" to maintain (brakes, tires, etc).

In three years, this setup has never prevented us from going anywhere we wanted to go - but you really have to look at how you intend to travel to see what will work best for you.

Sorry to be so verbose but I hope this helps - I know it's a difficult choice for you. Apologies to Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Karen & Jacques' Safari Cheetah.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	63301  
Retd_ontheRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retd_ontheRd View Post
I agree with Bob's previous comments.

Reelgator, my story is something like yours. When preparing to launch this adventure, my research showed that a Subaru with an automatic transmission needs to be towed on a trailer. I considered looking for another, more suitable toad, but keeping "her" Subaru became a non-negotiable condition to going fulltime and also to maintaining marital harmony while selling the house. So, full disclosure, towing a car hauler trailer with a 40 foot motorhome was not my first choice.

However, in the three years we've been doing this, I've come to like the advantages of towing with a trailer and think they even out-weigh the disadvantages. As Bob pointed out, the main advantage is that you can back up, not only when in a tight spot (and I've gotten us into several) but also when stopping for lunch or overnight at a truck stop or anywhere else where you might need to "parallel park" to get out of the way or back into a parking spot. Another main advantage is saving the mileage and the wear & tear on the toad, although this is partially offset by having the trailer to maintain. In my case, I also set up my bike rack at the front of the trailer (see picture) and, with the bike cover, it acts just like the "rock screens" that some people put in front of their toad.

As Bob mentioned, the cost is about the same or even cheaper for a trailer. My light car hauler trailer was $2500 new (it's a Triple Crown, made in Florida). By the time you add up the base plate, tow bar, light set-up, braking system and installation on a toad, it pretty well comes out even in the wash.

The main disadvantage is always having the extra length to deal with. With the trailer, my rig is 60 feet, and even if I drop the car off the trailer, I still need 60 feet in any RV park we go to. However, I find that for us and the way we travel, this isn't that much of a limitation. We just choose RV Parks where there are spaces to accommodate us, including parks where the spaces are only 40 feet deep but are wide enough to park the trailer beside the motorhome. Except when on the move between seasons (we are snowbirds), we tend to stay for a few weeks to a month at a time when we stop so, for me, dropping the trailer and parking it beside the motorhome - when I have to - is no big deal. If I do need to drop the trailer to park it, I usually move it around with the car, which was already set up with a compatible hitch.

In summary:

Advantages are ability to back up (big plus) and less wear & tear on the toad.
Cost is about the same.
Disadvantages are extra length (which may limit choice of RV Parks) and one more "vehicle" to maintain (brakes, tires, etc).

In three years, this setup has never prevented us from going anywhere we wanted to go - but you really have to look at how you intend to travel to see what will work best for you.

Sorry to be so verbose but I hope this helps - I know it's a difficult choice for you. Apologies to Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
Really appreciate the very detailed reply. The more I have thought about it the more a tow trailer makes perfect sense. Looking around at used toads, the mileage they have is always very high, and I know its because its been dragged around most of the time. But go to resell that toad and all a buyer sees is the high miles. I would rather maintain and wear out a trailer than a brand new car. The DW loves her Escape, the mere mention of a Jeep leads to "as long as I can keep my car I don't care what we tow" . I really don't want to go out and buy another vehicle for the sole purpose of being a toad. I'm still trying to recover from the check I wrote for the coach, my money tree is looking rather bare at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion as to who to look at for buying the trailer, all I found was units that where quit expensive. We have a home in Fla and thats the first trip in the new coach, I'll be sure to check out the folks at Triple Crown.

Last words, got a few insurance quotes today..........there is nothing cheap about buying a MH that's for sure!

P.S. Love your setup, looks sharp!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
If you do decide to go for a trailer, keep in mind the curb weight of the Escape (~3600 lbs) because some light car hauler models are rated for less weight. However, you should have no issues with the total weight (car@3600 lbs + trailer@1000-1500 lbs = ~4600-5100 lbs) since your coach, like mine, should be rated for towing 10,000 lbs. You won't even feel the trailer back there.

BTW, I've noticed that driving the car up on the trailer and tying it down takes me about the same amount of time as most people take to hook up the tow bar and set up the braking system and lights on a flat-towed toad.

You've got yourself a nice rig. Good luck!

Retd_ontheRd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome