Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
If That were the case, Most of the Units on the Road would be pulled over at Each State line for an Inspection and to obtain a permit which is what Commercial Vehicles must do! Fortunately RV's are Exempt as long as They Meet the Licensing requirements in their home Jurisdiction they are free to travel Coast to Coast to Coast!

Reference : FULL RECIPROCITY PLAN
Well you just take your RV and tow vehicle that is over 75' long and go cruise around CA for awhile. CHP and others absolutely will enforce this law no matter where your vehicle is tagged. While there are certain commercial rules that do not apply to RV's and there are certain commercial rules that apply across State lines, you cannot assume that what's OK at home is OK everywhere. There are many States that will not allow triple towing as well.
It's like saying that if it's OK to carry a gun in your home State then you can carry it anywhere. As we pass from State to State we all have to be aware of the rules and regulations.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #30

After reading these posts I find I am in Violation of my States License Law (NY) . It seems I need a "R" endorsement which requires a Road Test in the Type of Vehicle I plan on Driving 26,001 plus. To take the Road Test I need a Licensed Driver with that same Endorsement to go to the Road Test with me. Where does one find such a person? There aren't many Motor Homers here let alone one with that Endorsement. How have others accomplished this?
Barrier
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
If you only had to comply with your home state laws why would the laws be different from state to state. I drive truck for a living out of Ontario and we must comply and respect the laws of every province and state we travel through. As far as length is concerned I think the laws are ridiculous. You can be over length if you pay for an over length permit. This implies that it is a safe and excepted practice yet a permit is only a tax and not a course on how to maneuver large over length vehicles.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This 45' Motorhomes
Over-Length Motorhome: An over-length motorhome is a single-unit motorhome ... e.g. a motorhome towing a vehicle or trailer, may be up to 65 feet length. .... Vehicle Length: The basic vehicle length limit in California is stated in the ...
www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/45-motorhome

Ifound this on "GOOGLE" online, good luck,

David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #33

Clicky to fix the above link
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up

I NEVER Lost anything In California, So I sure Don't need to go there!!!!!!
I Have Class A Driver License, That Should Get Me through Colo.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Below is California's information on overlength motorhomes. Motorhomes 40' or less should not be concerned about the 65' overall length.

Over-Length Motorhome: An over-length motorhome is a single-unit motorhome that is longer than 40 feet but not more than 45 feet. (Note: A vehicle combination, e.g. a motorhome towing a vehicle or trailer, may be up to 65 feet length. If the single-unit motorhome is 40 feet or less in length, the combination is not subject to the over-length motorhome restrictions.)

For additional information try this web site:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/truck ... rhomes.htm
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the Link!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #37

Seems the big picture is length and weight, braking is also an issue. You probably could get away with your set-up and never be challenged until you get in an accident, then the isurance companies would go over your set-up with a fine tooth comb.
I would disclose to my insurance provider total length, weight and braking capabilities. I would also want to check that my drivers license was legal in the various states I would be driving in. I would want appoval in writing before I moved and inch.
Bottom line it is far eaiser to play by the rules than fight the system...this what my dear old dad convinced me of when I was boy.
The Goose
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Geese View Post
I would also want to check that my drivers license was legal in the various states I would be driving in.
Because of the legal principle of reciprocity spelled out in the interstate Driver License Compact (now being replaced by the Driver License Agreement), if you are legally licensed in your home state, you are legal to drive in the other states you'll travel through. Otherwise, you'd have to have a drivers license for each state - which isn't permitted under the Driver License Compact.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #39

Quote:
I would also want to check that my drivers license was legal in the various states I would be driving in. I would want appoval in writing before I moved and inch.
WOW,,, So you have never driven in any state except California?? In your car or in your MH??
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
After reading these posts I find I am in Violation of my States License Law (NY) . It seems I need a "R" endorsement which requires a Road Test in the Type of Vehicle I plan on Driving 26,001 plus. To take the Road Test I need a Licensed Driver with that same Endorsement to go to the Road Test with me. Where does one find such a person? There aren't many Motor Homers here let alone one with that Endorsement. How have others accomplished this?
Barrier
I was worried about that myself. A friend got the endorsement, and I was asking him if he would come along, but he said he didn't bring anyone along, and wasn't asked. So I went to the road test alone, and the inspector didn't bat an eye, didn't ask how I got there, and didn't ask where the other driver was.

It was not difficult (the road test was basically drive around a residential neighborhood without breaking any laws and without hitting anything.) But it did require several visits to the DMV - everything must be done in person, nothing can be done on-line:
  • Visit 1: Get a hand-written learner permit (and pay a fee.)
  • Visit 2: Schedule the road test (can't do it on-line or on the phone.)
  • Visit 3: Take the road test.
  • Visit 4: At least 10 days after the road test, show the test paperwork and request a new license (and I think pay another fee.)
The hardest part of the whole process was finding someone at the DMV who knew what the endorsement was, and how it is manually processed. If you (or anyone) wants more details, feel free to send me a PM.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #41

Just wondering, if I had a drivers license to drive a car or motorcycle would that also apply to driving a 43ft motorhome with a 24ft trailer (stacker)?
You can bet lawyers for the insurance company would be all over an accident that involved serious injury or death. I would just want to be sure I was in compliance.
We have all seen senior drivers that probably shouldn't be driving a golf cart. Do they get by with their car drivers license when driving a 70ft rig down the interstates.
Just wondering??
The Goose
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #42
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It depends on which state you're licensed in.

Some states require a higher class of license because of weight or length.

Most states exempt RVs drivers from a higher class of license.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote