Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
When we picked up our 2007 LaPalma in May, 2 months ago, the Owner's Box of manuals and documentation was missing. The dealer took some manuals from other coaches and gave them to us since we were taking a month long trip and they wrote up a "We Owe You" form for a complete Owner's Box.

The coach is with the dealer now for some work, majority of which was noted during our PDI (new DVD player, new table, synchronize leveling jacks, swapping Euro chair for swivel/rocker/recliner, damaged hitch plug, vent control board, dash AC/heater control, and a couple cosmetic touch-ups).

Since the dealer said they would order a new Owner's Box, I'm guessing this is a standard item. Anyone have any past experience with this?

We've been at a loss not having some of the documentation and are really hoping they get that taken care of. We are very particular with our personal papers and documents, and think this is important.

Thank goodness for Monaco Tech Support when we had questions on how to operate some things.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When we picked up our 2007 LaPalma in May, 2 months ago, the Owner's Box of manuals and documentation was missing. The dealer took some manuals from other coaches and gave them to us since we were taking a month long trip and they wrote up a "We Owe You" form for a complete Owner's Box.

The coach is with the dealer now for some work, majority of which was noted during our PDI (new DVD player, new table, synchronize leveling jacks, swapping Euro chair for swivel/rocker/recliner, damaged hitch plug, vent control board, dash AC/heater control, and a couple cosmetic touch-ups).

Since the dealer said they would order a new Owner's Box, I'm guessing this is a standard item. Anyone have any past experience with this?

We've been at a loss not having some of the documentation and are really hoping they get that taken care of. We are very particular with our personal papers and documents, and think this is important.

Thank goodness for Monaco Tech Support when we had questions on how to operate some things.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my MH, it was really a big folder and mostly contains the manufacturer's tear sheets and manuals that come in the boxes with the various equipment and appliances. You will receive a 200+ page manual from Monaco that covers the basics but probably is not specific to your LaPlama. There should also be a DVD that has some interesting information on it. I bought a file box from Office Depot that takes the hanging folders and organized everything. I also included supplimental manuals I found on the internet.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #4

Rick

Since you are at the dealers, I suggest you ask the dealer to let you look at another file folder for another MH and take notes on what is in the box. This information is essential to maintaining your MH, fuse location, specifications filters, and etc. Also, they can down-load any manual and print it for you. s/Toby
Old 07-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they wrote up a "We Owe You" form for a complete Owner's Box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GoneFishin...

I would tell them to give you the complete package before you leave ...
They do OWE IT TO YOU . You may even have to insist on them taking it from another LaPalma...but you truly should have a complete set.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the others - you bought a box of manuals and you should get a free motorhome to go with it.

On the other hand, most of the manuals can be obtained from the OEM/vendor websites, and are often more up-to-date than the ones that are provided with a coach. Just get all your model-names/numbers and get Googlin'. In fact, I've found some manuals/tear-sheets that the dealer/Monaco said weren't available. Good info in any case.

Another good source of info is to call Monaco Tech-Support and ask for the actual Build-Sheet that shows exactly what went into your coach, by make/model/serial # of each component.

The big Monaco manual, even though it is specific to Monaco products, is somewhat generic in its make-up. A few items may be dedicated to your coach but there's a lot of "some models may vary" kinda stuff in there. That dvd is also a great resource.

Unfortunately, there's still a lot of the digging will end up in your lap. But then, that's part of the beauty - you get to research and learn about the details of your coach.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
Another good source of info is to call Monaco Tech-Support and ask for the actual Build-Sheet that shows exactly what went into your coach, by make/model/serial # of each component. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is an excellant suggestion, Ron. Monaco calls that a "data card", and every tech support person can call it up on their computer just using your coach number. They email you a copy if you ask. Every owner should get a copy for his coach. I don't know why they just don't put that thing in the "box" in the first place.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Interestingly-enough, a ˜data-card' is what primarily led to the purchase of our Monaco.

We'd had a SOB (some-other-brand) for less than 6-months, and had one problem after another, and each time getting bigger. It spend 5 of those months at dealers trying to get the mfgr to authorize the zillion repairs needed. One day, I happened to be looking at the serial numbers of components on the coach and noticed some numbers and even models were different than the data-sheet said they were supposed to be. Got to digging a bit further, and it was like pulling on a thread on a sweater... worse and worse. I then got out the pictures we'd taken of the coach when we first looked at it, and realized some of the things (a tv, cd/dvd-player, etc) were different from then too!

At that, I went to the dealer and naturally got a: "Oh no, we never do that" response. Finally convinced the area-rep to fly over and look at it, and even without going inside he said: "Someone˜s changed some things, did you do it?" (meaning me). After a few choice words to him and dealer, they finally admitted that "Maybe, just maybe, a few things might have broken before delivery but they certainly fixed them for us".

And that might have been all well and good, except that every single one of the things they replaced were the lowest bottom-of-the-line cheapest things they could stick in there. As an example, the rear tv now had the cord dangling (yes, dangling) out the bottom of the cabinet and stuck with double-sided tape along the wall, because the new cord wasn't long enough to reach the original position. Obviously, that coach went away rapidly.

By the way, it almost took an act of Congress to get the data-sheet from that mfgr (same with trying to get any wiring/plumbing/etc diagrams), they said it was for ˜proprietary reasons'. Now, how many ways are there to run a wire from a circuit-breaker box to an outlet, and call that a trade-secret, sheesh!

All's you gotta do at Monaco is ask, now ain't that the way it should be?

Oops, sorry, got on my soap-box about that coach again.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Yikes ...nice story Ronboc!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We love to go by the motor home dealerships and look at all the new models. The one thing that continues to amaze me is the consistent cannibalization of some motor homes to fix others. At a dealer near us there is always one pitiful little motor home that is missing the shower door, the gas detector, an air conditioning vent, various light bulbs, etc. That's where all that odd equipment that shows up in your brand new coach comes from.

Yeah, you know the one. It's at your dealership too. It's already two (or more) years old, yet they won't discount it any more than new models on the lot. You know its been to a few dozen shows because there are stacks of brochures and data sheets from other models still in the storage bay. It's a sad little guy.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, Howard, NOW you tell me.

I wish you'd warned me about that motorhome back then, it was the one I'd obviously bought!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:48 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We are finding almost as much pleasure and fun with this iRV2 Monaco forum as we are with the coach! Maybe that's cause we have the forum to look at, not our coach. Rick, DH, has not laughed this much in a while. If we weren't laughing, we'd be crying.

We heard about the data card while "visiting" our coach at the dealer. One of the employees told us about it and gave us a copy from their file. We were so happy! UNTIL we noticed that the TV in the front of the coach was a different brand than what was listed on the dealer copy. SO we called Monaco and they emailed us their version. Really a different list, but only because the one from Monaco was much more extensive. Thankfully, no more differences. BUT it made us start thinking, "Maybe we should start looking at the serial numbers."

We were not pushing the dealer to get the cosmetic and minor work done and were especially not happy when they cannabalized another coach to get us a DVD player/radio, dash AC temp controller, new table, fantastic fan control board, and a clean couch cushion.

The replacement cushion didn't match, so they cleaned the grease spot on the brown fabric so well that they rubbed off the material and it turned yellow. The table was a different color and when they asked if I wanted to see it, I told them if they questioned it, don't even ask. You should also guess by now that the fan, DVD player, and dash AC didn't work when we took it to Montana and have asked that they get new items from Monaco.

After talking with Monaco, they said they discourage dealers from taking items from other coaches unless absolutely necessary to get you back on the road.

We'd had enough with the 2 service departments treating us like a hot potato and sat down with the GM at the dealership yesterday. She assured us that our items will be ordered new from Monaco. Amazingly, we received 3 calls today updating us on the status.

We will ask for a new data card from the dealer and Monaco after the work is complete to see if it's been updated AND if they match.

At the time we purchased, Rick told the dealer he wanted a full swivel, rocker, recliner instead of the Euro chair. Today, Rick told me he hopes they don't try to give him one from a pre-owned coach. You can only pull that once (twice? three times?) before we start to catch on.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:53 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Mick,
Isn't it amazing just what you can find out on this forum!
I absolutley love this place...and it can be very entertaining at times...

Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Both educational and entertaining! Better than TV most evenings, especially since we are trying to learn about so many different things.

Everyday we are amazed by the help, advice, and encouragement from those who have more motorhome experience than us.

We are extremely happy with our Monaco and we are hoping to someday soon be able to help others from what we have learned.

Thank you everyone! Mic