Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
PAC Brake

We test drove a 2000 Dynasty with a PAC brake actuated by a pedal. Is that like a manual exhaust brake?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Manual generally means 'operated with the hands' but it also means when something isn't automatically or electronically. Often an exhaust brake is actuated by releasing the gas pedal or applying the brake treadle. Others work by a lever on the steering column. A foot pedal under the left foot is also commonly used.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
PAC Brake

I'd say yes. My Windsor has the same style Brake and I didn't like having to keep it pressed while going down long grades like the Grape Vine so I added a switch in parallel with the foot switch. I can now start down the grade and flip the side panel switch 'on" and the Brake activates until I turn it off. It will also temporarily disengage if the Trans shifts into first or I touch the gas pedal but would activate once either of those examples aren't happening.

Some folks like the brake always activated. So when they aren't on the accelerator the brake is on or engaged. I don't like that config but some do. I hope I didn't muddy the water.
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #4

Our 2000 Dynasty has an exhaust brake operated by a pedal. We did make a mod. I did not like the location ( forward on the slanted part of the floor). I struggled with its rocker motion and the feeling that I was extending my leg to far and not really getting it engaged on the first time every time. I had my brother unscrew it and move it back so that it sits flat on the floor slightly left off the driver seat. This allows me to just move my foot over and step on it with the heel of my foot. This is how many semis are set up. Its now a smooth foot action for me. Ron didn't care where it was but I like it now
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the information. I like the setup in my Ram truck where I can turn it on or off with a switch on the dash. Normally I don't use it until I'm coming to a stop while towing or going down a long grade, then I'll turn it on. I'm assuming that this is just a switch on the floor and I could convert it to a dash switch?
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #6

Yes you can. We discussed it with my brothers the sermi drivers who didn't see the point. However my input was that I am used to using my feet to operate a standard tranny in the car. Also I like having my hands on the wheel and having too take my hand off to look for that switch in an emergency stop wasn't appealing to me
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nana25k
That's why I put the switch in parallel to the floor switch. I can use either the foot or dash switch. I also never had a warm fuzzy about the foot switch location.
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #8

pac

my 99 windsor has both a foot switch and toggle switch. floor switch was monentary ( hold down to operate ) I was able to find a replacement switch
which is on/off.. I also added on led light to the dash to indicate when it is enabled
Old 02-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #9

I have a foot operated switch and moved it to a more comfortable location and it works
great. I use it anytime I want to slow down. I have read not to use it in icy conditions
but I find it works great. On really steep hills I put the trans in 1st and use the exhaust brake.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm like Tom, but the reverse. Mine came with the on/off switch and when off throttle, exhaust brake came on and trans downshifted. I added foot switch to use when switch is off. Trans doesn't automatically down shift in this mode. Best of both worlds.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
I'm like Tom, but the reverse. Mine came with the on/off switch and when off throttle, exhaust brake came on and trans downshifted. I added foot switch to use when switch is off. Trans doesn't automatically down shift in this mode. Best of both worlds.
Anything special to know about this install? Just a momentary foot switch? I am assuming you did something to not activate the downshift. I definitely see an advantage to having this.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake