RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Pac Brake upgrade to Jake Brake?

Can upgrade my Pac Brake to Jake Brake?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
A "jake brake" is usually what people call a engine brake that is integral to the cylinder head. Jacobs and Pac-Brake both make exhaust brakes that mount downstream from the turbo and have a butterfly valve that closes to create backpressure when activated.So you can change brands of exhaust brake, but the engine wasn't built with an engine brake internally...so the realistic answer is no...without major engine re-design. Pac-brake has a PRXB model that maintains back pressure to a lower engine speed than earlier versions, I'm not sure about Jacobs.

SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. It just seems like the Pac-Brake is more like a downshifter than an engine break. On the tractor trailers I have driven in the past the Jake brake slows the truck down pretty fast. The Pac-Brake does not.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

To upgrade to a Jake Brake would require installing a new engine that has an internal Jake. If your Exhaust PAC Brake is not slowing you down then you should get it checked. The butterfly valve must not be closing.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

More than just an engine. New computer, wiring, intake manifold, the list goes on and on. My exhaust brake does do down shifting, but also restricts the gases from the exhaust. The downshifting helps by increasing the engine RPM. I think it works great and much less noise.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #6

I wondered about the difference until I drove my RV. I'm impressed at how well the PAC brake works. As others have said, have your PAC serviced.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
PAC Brake PRXB

AttilaKara72,

We have the same rig and my friend who owned the rig before me had just upgraded the PAC Brake to a PRXB. So I can't honestly compare the difference between the "stock" brake and the PRXB. I can tell you I am in Sacramento and have traveled to Seattle and San Diego and over Tahoe to Las Vegas (The back way) and the PRXB has held or slowed me down on any grade Ive encountered. I have talked to a few folks on this forum and they all had great things to say about the PRXB. I wired a "rocker" switch mounted on the left shift console in parallel with the foot switch. I like being able to flip the rocker and leave the brake engaged all the way down the grade rather than keep my foot on the switch. I have both, the foot switch for quick short grades and off ramps and the rocker switch for the Grapevine!!

I just replaced the dash blower motor, what a B!@%#!!!

Hopefully the lifetime warranty lasts forever!
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

We have the exhaust brake on our 2000. We have this summer driven south on the passes in eastern Idaho , across and up to Teton (not Teton Pass) out the east side of Yellowstone and up and over the 10k Powder River pass. Our brake worked flawlessly. Of course I would have loved to have had that console switch a few times instead of having to hold down the foot switch. Ya,ll can now say " ya that Gal can manage hills now!! ��
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Rocker switch

It's really simple to install a switch in parallel with the foot switch. You probably have a spare spot for a switch, just remove the side panel find the two wires going to the foot switch. Just tap into each and run them to a normally open switch and you are in business. My foot was getting tired and if you slip off the tranny up shifts and then downshifts after you get back on the switch. I've heard of folks who have them wired up so they are always engaged but I prefer the way I have it now. What ever works.
Tomjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Tom,
My brake works ok. I was just wondering if there was better. I also hate holding my foot on that peddle on a long grade. I think I will be installing a switch like you have. I also found this.
http://www.brakeswitch.com/index.htm
Buy every time I check they are not taking orders.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just spoke with the guy who owns the company and he told me they closed there doors and are no longer in business.

Tags
brake, upgrade