RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The problem will be who do you sue? Monaco went bust, and heaven knows about the suppliers. I've been told that the problem is not limited to just '01-'04 coaches. It can and has shown up in newer coaches. The paint manager from the Elkhart Service Center told me that it was called "thermal checkering" and it happened because of the cheap walls that Monaco and other manufacturers used. There was another wall that could have been used but cost a few hundred dollars more.

I called Monaco after they filed chapter 11 to see if I could get the address for the wall supplier encase I developed a problem with my '08 and was told that it wouldn't do me much good since the supplier was owned by Monaco. So again I ask...who do you sue?

I think Monaco was thinking ahead to future repairs and sales, hoping that either you would have them fix the problem or you would take them up on their offer of a "discount" on a new coach.

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #44

I have a 2007 Country Coach Allure and have this checking problem. I have even had the entire coach sanded, primed and repainted and the the problem is back!!!

Wouldn't Owens Corning, the supplier of the material, be the target of a class action suit?

There has got to be an attorney wandering around that would want to weigh in on this issue as the liability has got to staggering.

The repaint of my coach was $60,000 alone.

father2mykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #45

We are looking at the paint department in So. Cal for a fix. Only about $20,000.00. Every one that I have talked with loves the result.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #46
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Whew, glad my coach is old enough (MY2000) and that it is skinned with aluminum (except the end caps).
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #47

What is the name of the facility?
father2mykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #48

We have a 2001 monico knight and have had no problems with the paint the only thing that is a problem is the decals that are not painted they have faded out but not to bad
Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #49

I recently purchased a 1997 HR Imperial 40-WDS from Paul Evert's in Bullhead City, AZ. I was told that the crazing in the dark colors of the stripes was simply the clearcoat. One more of the lies and deceptions from this dealer. Now I find out that it is much more involved than a minor blemish and it would take a ton of money to fix. Wonderful.....
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Whew, glad my coach is old enough (MY2000) and that it is skinned with aluminum (except the end caps).
SRT, what model do you have that is skinned in aluminum?
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
I recently purchased a 1997 HR Imperial 40-WDS from Paul Evert's in Bullhead City, AZ. I was told that the crazing in the dark colors of the stripes was simply the clearcoat. One more of the lies and deceptions from this dealer. Now I find out that it is much more involved than a minor blemish and it would take a ton of money to fix. Wonderful.....
Figure on about $20,000 to replace all of the fiberglass outside walls and then repaint.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #52

I would say that the guy you've quoted is an avowed Monaco basher and probably voted for the great community organizer as well. Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, we have a 2000 HR Imperial with a still beautiful paint job, not a blemish on it. I've seen hundreds of Monaco products in the years you've mentioned with nary a flaw. Any cracking like you've depicted is probably due to extreme sun exposure, pure and simple. Quarter million dollar and up coaches deserve to be parked in garages, not left out in the elements.

As far as Monaco not respraying coaches that is also not true. Just picked up our coach from Coburg last November that had the entire rear cap re-painted after too many encounters with tree limbs. They did a wonderful job for less than what every body shop in our area that could handle a large coach quoted us. Give Matt a call at the service center. They just completed a $100,000 repair job on a Dynasty that went over a 150' cliff along the Oregon coast while the owners were out stretching their legs.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #53

Fiberglass checking

I AHVE 2005 CROSS COUNTRY SPORTCOACH SE WITH EXTENSIVE CHECKING ON ALL OF THE DARK PAINTED SURFACES (BLACK & MAROON) THE GOLD AND SILVER ARE OK. wHEN NEW I TRIED TO GET CROSSCOIUNTRY TO WARRANTY THE PROBLEM AND THEY SAID IT WAS ONLY COVERED FOR ONE YEAR. I HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF SECTIONS SANDED & REPAINTED TO SEE IF THIS WILL FIX THE PROBLEM BUT AFTER ABOUT A YEAR IT IS BACK JUST AS BAD. I KNOW THAT I WON'T GET ANY HELP FROM ANYONE NOW, BUT I AM LOOKING FOR FIX THAT WILL WORK.
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
GPLANDROVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPLANDROVER View Post
I AHVE 2005 CROSS COUNTRY SPORTCOACH SE WITH EXTENSIVE CHECKING ON ALL OF THE DARK PAINTED SURFACES (BLACK & MAROON) THE GOLD AND SILVER ARE OK. wHEN NEW I TRIED TO GET CROSSCOIUNTRY TO WARRANTY THE PROBLEM AND THEY SAID IT WAS ONLY COVERED FOR ONE YEAR. I HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF SECTIONS SANDED & REPAINTED TO SEE IF THIS WILL FIX THE PROBLEM BUT AFTER ABOUT A YEAR IT IS BACK JUST AS BAD. I KNOW THAT I WON'T GET ANY HELP FROM ANYONE NOW, BUT I AM LOOKING FOR FIX THAT WILL WORK.
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
The problem is with the fiberglss. As I get it, A fibeglass supplier/manufacturer (Owens corning I think) suplied sheets to the industry for several years. They are not just on Monaco products. The coaches with full body paint are the ones most affected and then just in the dark areas of paint. Mine (04 HR Imperial) started it in the black areas but is now doing it in other areas too. Monaco repainted several coaches under warranty, mine was out of warranty when I noticed the problem, no help. They also reskinned several coaches as well. The only known fix is to reskin the coach.
The thing that really bothers me is that Monaco reportedly got a settlement out of the fiberglas mfgr and didn't pass it on to the buyers who paid $250k to $500k for their coaches.
Some one made a comment that coachs costing mega bucks deserve to be garaged. We, and many others, spend most of our time using the coach to travel and live the lifestyle. I'd find it very inconvenient to cart around a garage to keep Monacos defective prduct from deteriorating in the sun, sorry.
Ron
Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post

The only known fix is to re-skin the coach.
That is true, the entire skin has to be removed and a new skin installed. Thousands of dollars along with new paint. For a 40 foot coach you are talking minimum of $30-$40 thousand dollars. Nope, not in my budget.

I did find a fairly good technique & cover-up product that helps with hiding the small checking lines. Recently, I had the coach detailed and ask if they had "Black Wax" to use on the dark areas of the coach. They did and what a difference it makes. The theory is, in the past they would normally use their standard wax, comes in an orange bottle, named Nu-something, can't remember the name, but it is white and fills in the little cracks making them more noticeable. With the "Black Wax", they are hidden somewhat and don't stand out. You do have to keep putting new wax over it as it will wear off with washing or sitting in the weather and sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post

Some one made a comment that coaches costing mega bucks deserve to be garaged. We, and many others, spend most of our time using the coach to travel and live the lifestyle. I'd find it very inconvenient to cart around a garage to keep Monaco's defective product from deteriorating in the sun, sorry.

Ron
I actually carry a garage with me, but it's not for storing the coach, it's for transporting my Victory Arlen Ness Motorcycle, car and everything else that would normally be stored in someone's garage. The AK license plate says, R JUNK.

When you are a full-time RVer, it's really difficult to store the coach in a garage and keep it out of the sun.

Monaco has lost my loyalty by walking away from this problem. Even though my Windsor is a great coach and will most likely be the last coach I own, unless I hit the Mega Millions Lottery, if the situation ever changes and I buy a different coach, trust me, this major problem along with many others will be discussed before signing on the dotted line.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #56

Checking paint

Thank you for your response.
I have also heard that there was a settlement from Corning but it did not trickle down to me. I am looking for a solution short of reskinning the walls. I have had an estimate to repaint $38K with no guarantee that the checks will not return.
If the walls were sanded down to the fiberglass and a gel coat or ? were applied would that solve the problem?
I have even considered a wrap I think that would only be a short term solution.
Thank you in advance for any recommendations
GPLR

GPLANDROVER is offline   Reply With Quote