RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPLANDROVER View Post
If the walls were sanded down to the fiberglass and a gel coat or ? were applied would that solve the problem?
GPLR
The ONLY solution is to replace the sidewalls and repaint. A friend had the checking problem and he took his motorhome to Precison Painting. They sanded the sidewalls until they were smooth, applied base coats, several coats of color paints, sanded it smooth again and applied three coats of clearcoat. The sidewalls and paint looked great.

That was three years ago and now the checking is back worse than ever. I can see the checking from 50 feet away and it is starting to pop off in several areas. His price to replace the sidewalls with good fiberglass and repaint is $26,000.

Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #58

Here is the web site of the place in Ca. We went there and saw how they repair the side walls. PD_HomePage. Talked with several people who had it done and all were really happy.

Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #59

Thank you very much.
I will contact them to see if they can help.
GPLANDROVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #60

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we bought our coach, it had the cracking under the dark colors on the sidewalls only. Turned out, our dark colors were vinyl graphics covered with thick coats of clear. It appeared that the problem was that the vinyl had cracked.

We ground the sidewalls down and renewed some of the gel coat where the cracks were. Then, we used some special epoxy for fiberglass wall repair, and a couple of coats of primer, two or three coats of base coat, three or four coats of clear. Wow! We did a beautiful job of repainting our coach, making it look like a much newer unit.

When we're not using it, it is stored inside an unheated, uninsulated building. Our winters get as cold as -40. During the first winter, the cracks began to reappear. During the next winter, the cracks got larger. This winter, as I look at our coach in the building, the cracks are beginning to open up.

So, this problem exists back into the '90's. While I recognize that heat may well be the major contributing factor to causing the condition, in my case, extreme cold aggravates the condition and worsens it.

I agree that it is definitely a problem with the fiberglass. I agree that it is not repairable - at all.

I believe that there can be only one of two choices:

1. replace the entire fiberglass wall, and hope that the new wall doesn't do the same thing.

2. do nothing.

I have decided that I will live with option # 2.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #61

I just spoke with the Paint Department Owner at the FMCA Rally in Indio, and my 07 Camelot is starting to show the cracks in the black paint. A sanding and repaint will not solve the problem. In fact, there was another vendor at the rally, who for about $11,000 will repaint, but not guarantee the cracks will stay away. The Paint Department in Chino, CA will guarantee the cracks will not reappear. For my 40' coach, the cost is $25-30k. I've utilized their services in the past, and if I go for the fix, the P.D. is where I will take it. Monaco isn't the only one who received a settlement from Dow/Corning, and didn't pass it down to the affected coach owners. Before going out of business, Country Coach also settled with the fiberglass manufacturer.
Dan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
The problem will be who do you sue? Monaco went bust, and heaven knows about the suppliers. I've been told that the problem is not limited to just '01-'04 coaches. It can and has shown up in newer coaches. The paint manager from the Elkhart Service Center told me that it was called "thermal checkering" and it happened because of the cheap walls that Monaco and other manufacturers used. There was another wall that could have been used but cost a few hundred dollars more.

I called Monaco after they filed chapter 11 to see if I could get the address for the wall supplier encase I developed a problem with my '08 and was told that it wouldn't do me much good since the supplier was owned by Monaco. So again I ask...who do you sue?

I think Monaco was thinking ahead to future repairs and sales, hoping that either you would have them fix the problem or you would take them up on their offer of a "discount" on a new coach.
Really? Thermal checkering? I researched the term "thermal checkering" and found one listing for it on the internet. One listing in the entire World Wide Web and it's your posting here on this web site. There is no such thing as thermal checkering. I'm also not buying this "paint manager's" claim that Monaco used another manufacturer's wall so they could save a few hundred dollars. This disgruntled employee probably painted these coaches with the cracking problems.

I just don't believe there is a defect here. This cracking is caused by extreme prolonged exposure to the sun, pure and simple. Any settlements offered by Dow Corning or any of the other suppliers is purely a business decision. It's cheaper to settle these claims than continue to fight them in court.

One person on this thread is upset that his 15 year old motorhome is showing these cracks. Give me a break! Why do we feel the need to sue everyone over everything? There won't be one manufacturer left in this country if we continue to litigate them to death. Everything, and I mean everything, will all be imported Chinese junk and then we will have something to complain about.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #63

I have talked to three different motorhome manufacturers and they all called the problem checking or thermal checking. The fiberglass came from Owens Corning and they filed bankruptcy. Ain't no way motorhome owners will get a dime from them.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #64

Just because it's 13 years old

doesn't mean that I am not upset that the problem happened to my my walls. My Holiday Rambler was over $300,000 back in 1997 dollars and I would have expected that it would be built to last. I called Monaco and they aren't doing anything to help but no where did I say I would sue them. It is just one of those things that I will live with but am not happy with. Life it too short!
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #65

Everyone with this problem has every right to be upset. If you can't google the problem it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I for one have a 3 year old Country Coach that was half a million dollars and I am pissed off about it - plain and simple.

I will be checking out the outfit in Chino to see what there remedy is all about.
father2mykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #66

Paint checking

The Chino fix is about $30K
GPLANDROVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #67

i have a 2004 hr endeavor. paint is cracking all over the rig. didn't really notice it much til the last month or so. now, it's so noticeable, i can't believe it just started.
i'm definitely out of warranty. does anyone know of any extended warranties that cover bad paint???
isowimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #68

Snowman One: Many other coaches in the same year range have that problem. And yes it was the fiberglass that caused the problem. When the mfrs. changed to another brand the problem went away. If you have ever seen a unit with the problem one quicly realizes that it is not bad paint or wrongly applied. The "checking" is under the paint. Mfrs should never have used those dark colours! I have some black on my 08 but I store it inside or in the shade. I am hoping that my 08 has the better fiberglass. I have yet to hear of anyone with an 08 or 09 that has has the problem
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowimn View Post
i have a 2004 hr endeavor. paint is cracking all over the rig. didn't really notice it much til the last month or so. now, it's so noticeable, i can't believe it just started.
i'm definitely out of warranty. does anyone know of any extended warranties that cover bad paint???
There is a wax that you can purchase on the internet that will help make it less noticeable.

It's called "Black Wax". My coach and especially the front door has the "Thermal Checking" all over it mostly in the darker colors. Use the black wax on all of the darker colors and it will hide it until the next time you need to wax the coach.

The bay doors are the only places where the Thermal Checking has not happen due to them being metal and not fiberglass.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Black Wax

Dr4Film,

Is this what you are using?

Welcome to Black Wax, Ltd.