Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #1

I'm in a gasser now, but I've been searching for the right used DP and thought that a Monaco was going to be it...until today when I talked with a guy who owned a Windsor. He told me that the paint jobs on all Monaco lines from 01 thru 04 were legend for having paint cracking and peeling, especially in the dark colors. Many coaches have had to be repainted while under warranty, and now Monaco has quit repainting altogether. His 'take' was that the DuPont paint supplied to Monaco was faulty. I tried a search in this forum, but nothing turned up. Is this guy mis-informed, or is there something to his claim?

Thanx,
Gary

elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #2

Gary

I've had a 2004 HR Vacationer for 3 years with full body paint and had zero trouble with the paint. We had no trouble in 4.5 years with our 1999 Vacationer either. While we have had no trouble with our 2006 Amb, we have not had the oppurnity to use it that much. I have not heard the rumor that the paint was bad on HR/Monaco products. I have seen a lot of HR/Monacos and none that I saw had any paint problems and I have been both to the factory in Ind as well as the repair fac in Wildwood Fla. Probably someone had a paint issue and that is how rumors get started sometimes. s/Toby

Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #3

I have a friend considering a "02" Dynasty and the dark green paint detail has small cracks and bubbles on all the areas with the green detail. Other than that the coach looks great.
dfb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On almost any vehicle (car or rv), the darker colors are going to have a tougher time of it since they are gonna get beat up by the sun more.

Having said that, I don't Monaco is any better or worse than other brands (again, car or rv) for paint-issues. I too look closely at other Monaco coaches (never can tell where the next purchase is coming from!) and haven't seen any inherent issues.

I'd think a good coat of UV-protectant wax would be a good idea, no matter what the vehicle. I've got 2 years of Florida & Texas sun on my dark-green HR and it looks great - when it's washed - and I always keep a coat of good wax on it.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #5

Gary,
I own a 2001 Diplomat LE and I am just starting to see the problem you have heard about. I have been restoring and building show cars for the last 45 yrs and have always done my own paint using lacquers, enamels, urethanes, candies, pearls, metalflakes, etc and have never before seen the problem I am seeing on my coach. The problem seems to be restricted to the dark mocha brown graphics only. What the failure looks like is a series of 3/8 to 1/2" straight crack like separations with raised edges at random angles to one another. The only time I have seen this phenomena in my past history was actually in vinyl tape graphics that were separating from the base substrate. You could actually re-create this problem by putting a lacquer coat over an enamel based vinyl or paint. And as Ron pointed out, I have seen this "tape" failure on coaches that were subject to intense sun during their lifetime, but I have never seen it in actual paint. Since the entire coach is painted with a two stage paint, the color sealed in with a clear top coat, it is hard to tell if the base color is actual paint, or may be indeed a vinyl application under the clear coat. Your post was quite timely since I was going to contact Monaco to get some answers to my questions regarding this problem. At this point, the only remedy I can see is to refinish all the brown graphics and recoat the entire coach with a final clear coat to seal the new paint in, which would be quite a costly and time consuming proposition. I would also love to hear from any members with experience concerning this problem.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #6

MtRoamer -
This Monaco site shows that the Dip LE came with full body paint for '01. So don't think you've got paint over vinyl graphics:

http://tinyurl.com/2cbvqs

Thanx for your response.

Gary
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Gary,

I also was in your boat! Did allot of research and it is true that allot of the older Monaco's from 2001 to 2004 with darker colors have had paint issues. Were mostly the dark browns, blacks, and greens from what I was told and saw. I had talked to 3 service managers, one here in San Diego, two in PHX. I herd about this issue after reading about it on other forum, dont recall what forum it was now...???

As for the bad paint, cant say I read or herd or saw anything that make me say, O ya its PAINT! I did see fish eyes and cracked paint in some of the coaches I looked at purchasing. I did hear there was some prep issues from the factories during the time frame of 2001-2004 and it was issues from the low line to the high line coaches. At any rate I have seen allot of coaches with fish eyes and cracked paint and they just didn't make sense to buy for one reason or another.

We ended up buying a 2007 PDQ Dip. I can say my 2007 had its fair share of paint issues with fish eyes and runs in the paint, door chips and 3m mask issues. We have brookwood on brookwood and our defects were in all the colors not just the dark.

I would not let possible paint defect affect your thoughts on looking at a 2001 - 2004 Monaco coach. But if the coach had paint issues, no matter the manufacture, I wouldn't buy it unless you were in love with it and it was discounted enough to take care of the problem.

The reason we went new was, could not find anything used that we fell in love with that had the ISL with in our price range, we wanted 4 slides, wife and I are partial to the browns and brookwood sold us. We ordered our coach from a dealer out of Montana and did an Montana LLC and saved allot of $$. Don't know what your budget is but you might want to do some research and see if that is an avenue for you.

Anyhow I'm off to bed, we just rolled back home from a long day camping out at Silver Strand State Beach here in San Diego CA with our coach Any questions by all means ask away!

Take Care,

Mike

2007 Diplomat PDQ 40
Socal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #8

I was able to take a couple of pics of the problem I am beginning to see in the dark brown on the coach. As you can see, it's a very random pattern and appears as if the paint is lifting away from the coach in each of the short lines.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
(glad to see you have mastered the "photo posting"!)
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #10

Thanks M M. It's easy when you're schooled by an expert. I really appreciate your help, and now I can show off my mods.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #11

the problem is called thermal checking. 2 years ago monaco reskined and repainted my coach under warranty.(took them 3 months at factory to complete)The problem lies in the fiberglass skin. Not the paint. when the dark portions of the sidewall heat up . micro bubbles burst in the fiberglass skin and transfers to the paint . the problem only gets worse with time.repainting will not solve the problem.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone for a class action law suit? Monaco will ignore you if you bring up the "paint" issue. I have seen it on 05's as well as earlier models.
roy goble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think Monaco/HR is the only manufacture to have the problem. I heard the Fleetwood/American was having the same problem. The problem may take up to 3 years to show up. I would suggest parking the unit in the shade or under roof when possible.

Scott
07 HR 40 PDQ Limited
Dark Green
Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We have an 04 Imperial that isn't showing that specific problem yet. What we do have is extremely small cracks in the paint running roughly parallel to each other on the main slide. They actually look like stress cracks which is entirely possible on the slide. It appears only on the black painted areas which leads me to believe that it is thermal in nature. I'v heard that the fiberglass is the problem and Monaco has discontinued that supplier.
Ron