Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We're all familiar with the "invisible bra" that protects the front of our coaches. I scuffed up a small area of this film and when I found out the replacement cost it was just about not worth it to repair it. I found the same film from 3M on-line. It can be bought in small quantities, about $5 for a square foot. And they include a small squegee with the instructions. Using the skill of a surgeon, and a new X-acto knife I was able to repair my damage to at least an acceptable level. The seams are visible but I think that I can hide them better with a product used for sealing the edges of decals on aircraft. Will have to wait until I can get some of that to say for sure. When I picked up my Monaco from the dealer I had them repaint the area on the rear where the lower half of the detachable ladder rubbed some scratches in it. Since then I have not used the ladder half and only got on the roof with a step ladder. Hey! I thought, why not use some of this film to pad and protect the vunerable area on the rear. Works like a charm. It is already being used at various places like the entry lock and so forth. The stuff is very easy to use and I know that I'll come up with other places to use it.

Look for it 3mestore.com It's called, oddly enough, Paint Protection Film!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We're all familiar with the "invisible bra" that protects the front of our coaches. I scuffed up a small area of this film and when I found out the replacement cost it was just about not worth it to repair it. I found the same film from 3M on-line. It can be bought in small quantities, about $5 for a square foot. And they include a small squegee with the instructions. Using the skill of a surgeon, and a new X-acto knife I was able to repair my damage to at least an acceptable level. The seams are visible but I think that I can hide them better with a product used for sealing the edges of decals on aircraft. Will have to wait until I can get some of that to say for sure. When I picked up my Monaco from the dealer I had them repaint the area on the rear where the lower half of the detachable ladder rubbed some scratches in it. Since then I have not used the ladder half and only got on the roof with a step ladder. Hey! I thought, why not use some of this film to pad and protect the vunerable area on the rear. Works like a charm. It is already being used at various places like the entry lock and so forth. The stuff is very easy to use and I know that I'll come up with other places to use it.

Look for it 3mestore.com It's called, oddly enough, Paint Protection Film!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Greg

Thanks for sharing that information.

Where did you find this online?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Clickable link
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Way to go Greg. I remember talking to you at the dealer about this. Glad you found a solution to your original problem and for sharing. I am sure many of us might need a solution for potentially other problems areas that might get surface scratches etc. You have just proved again that "necessity is the mother of invention" and that dealers are not always right.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Great Dane, I had originally called the facility in OR and after explaining what it was I was doing, I talked to a fellow in the paint shop who told me the name of the supplier of the film for Monaco. That's where I got "sticker shock" about the cost of even one panel. (There are 7 on a Cayman) But I did learn that it was a 3M product. Internet search after that. The link from SacsTC is the one.

I should give this caveat before you carve into your film. The dealer who was doing the service at the time warned about possible paint damage when removing the damaged film. I started with an electric heat gun, hotter than my wife's hair drier. It softened the film to the point where it tore too early. Working in the sun proved to be the right formula. Soft enough to release but firm enough to pull off in one piece. The service advisor at Demartini said that I should experiment in an area that didn't show plainly to get the feel for it. A good idea since nobody wants to "practice" on their own motorhome! But the process is do-able.

Duffy's Dad, I hope that your session at the dealer proved as positive as mine.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Greg,
I noticed on the 3M website that they state the film is removable. Did they give you instructions on the package that you purchased as to how one should do this? FYI the website shows another package of the protective film that is .4 inches wide and 10 yards long for doing edges of doors etc.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote