RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Park Brake Air Pressure Valve Alarm

I have replaced this valve 2 times. The original lasted 5 years. 1st replacement 4 years. 2nd replacement did not fix anything. The alarm sounds almost constantly. Does anyone know what purpose this valve serves. Air pressure has been fluctuating bet 115, will drop to 100 and sometimes won't build from there for 100's of miles.Does anyone have any insite??

saucerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Air brakes depend on air pressure to work. If you've replaced the parking brake valve twice and still having issues, it might be time to let professionals check out the system. The people in front of you will thank you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is most likely not the valve that is making the alarm sound but is the pressure switch that is mounted to one of the ports on the valve when I replaced the switch on mine it corrected the problem.
alounsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #4

It is a pressure switch that activates an alarm when the transmission is in neutral and the park brake is released. At least that's when it goes into alarm on our Monaco Windsor. I had to replace it a couple of years ago when it would alarm for no reason.
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerman View Post
I have replaced this valve 2 times. The original lasted 5 years. 1st replacement 4 years. 2nd replacement did not fix anything. The alarm sounds almost constantly. Does anyone know what purpose this valve serves. Air pressure has been fluctuating bet 115, will drop to 100 and sometimes won't build from there for 100's of miles.Does anyone have any insite??
Welcome to irv2. You don't mention what coach you have and it is not in your signature or your profile. It is very helpful if folks know what coach you have.

It sounds like you have a very common problem caused by the Nason pressure switch below the parking brake release. It is so common and happens so frequently that I did a study and wrote a paper on the subject. You might find it interesting so I will post it here.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A close look at the Nason parking brake switch.pdf (1.92 MB, 204 views)
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Welcome to irv2. You don't mention what coach you have and it is not in your signature or your profile. It is very helpful if folks know what coach you have.

It sounds like you have a very common problem caused by the Nason pressure switch below the parking brake release. It is so common and happens so frequently that I did a study and wrote a paper on the subject. You might find it interesting so I will post it here.

Bob
I've read your paper and I'm very impressed with your work. Just wonder, does anyone else make a pressure switch that might be more reliable than the Nason model?

I like the switch you created, especially the fact that the relay can easily be replaced if it fails.

This document should be made available in iRV2 to all with air brake systems.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My 08 Camelot came with Haldex BE 13241, and is still going strong.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My Haldex switch is a 2 wire switch, whereas Bob's is a 3 wire switch. Snowflakes!

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

I like your explanation style, thanks for sharing that paper with us.

I would say I have never had this happen in 11 years of Monaco ownership but that would cause the earth to stop spinning and all my pressure switches to fail immediately

So, "when" this now happens, I will have a better avenue to correct it!
Windecker

Quote:

Bob
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
I like your explanation style, thanks for sharing that paper with us.

I would say I have never had this happen in 11 years of Monaco ownership but that would cause the earth to stop spinning and all my pressure switches to fail immediately

So, "when" this now happens, I will have a better avenue to correct it!
Windecker
In the post above Harry indicates his Monaco has a 2 wire pressure switch. If your coach also has a two wire pressure switch you are in luck. I don't believe the two wire switch would exhibit the poor reliability of the Nason switch based on a SPDT micro switch. The poor reliability of the Nason in my coach is due to the micro switch and that is why I chose to replace the micro switch with the relay and a SPST pressure switch.

Thanks for the compliments. My job before I retired required some technical writing so I have some practice.

Bob
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #11

Pressure Switch

Quote:

Bob
Bob, thank you for the insight to the pressure switch. I have printed in color the paper you wrote and will attempt to build a better switch. Tim 2007 Camelot 40 PDQ.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:

Bob

Nicely done!
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Something else to consider..because it may (as you stated) goes for 100's of miles before getting air pressure back up to 115lbs..
You may have a "D-2" governor on the air compressor going out..
If so it is a rather easy and inexpensive fix..Ya just gonna get a bit dirty changing it out.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #14

Nason Switch

Cole-Parmer no longer manufactors the adjustable 50-150 2 wire switch. They have a set 60# 2 wire switch. Do you think that would be an acceptible sub for the adjustable switch? Thanks, Tim 2007 Camelot

Tags
air, brake, valve