Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Parking Brake Air Pressure Switch

This has been discussed several times but I have not seen any recommendations as to which is the better/best vendor in terms of price, delivery, etc.

Here's an image from Rex's very fine parts document on Monacoers.

My parking brake alarm is starting to sound off intermittently. If I touch the parking brake push-pull valve plunger it quits. From past posts here and on Monacoers the consensus is that this switch is the culprit.

Is this likely to be the correct switch for my 2003 Windsor? And where would be the best place from which to order?

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That's the switch, but there are probably 10 variations of it. Most are just ordering it from Monaco. It's about $50.00 delivered.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #3

Thanks, Don. Yeah, Monaco may turn out to be the best bet. As you say there are variations. I checked with Northwest RV Supply and they have "many" but don't know if theirs is this particular one. I'm checking prices because it looks like $75 - $85 is not uncommon for this item, which seems spendy given what it is. If Monaco still has it for $50, I'll probably go there.

Thanks again,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced my parking brake pressure switch and Don is correct: there are several variations. So before ordering, remove your switch and you will see the part number on it. It is manufactured by Nason who still makes the switch but does not stock the switch. Mine is Nason Part No. SM-2B-85R--totally different than what is pictured above and yours could be different too.

Then call Isaacs in Indiana at 877 471 8999. They are the official distributor of this part to Monaco. They will be able to tell you Monaco's part number for this part so you can be certain Monaco knows what part you need replaced. They will also be able to tell you when Monaco last ordered and how many they ordered.

If Monaco is out of stock, they will be willing to sell you direct and their price will be about half Monaco's price $22 vs $46. But they don't stock these, so call around to see if any of the other distributors listed above have it in stock, but I doubt they will. If not, it will take Nason about 3 to 4 weeks to make you this part unless you are willing to pay $100 for expedited service. So it's really best to just hold your nose and buy it direct from Monaco or another distributor if you can find it in stock.

This part can be found four or five inches under your parking brake release knob. Mine was completely concealed by black electrical tape someone had used to tape it to the brass parking brake valve body. Irv2 Senior member Dave of Golden discovered that after I'd given up trying to find it.

Once that tape was removed, it is easy to replace the faulty one with the new one although working space access can be tight. It does not hurt anything to drive the coach until you get it replaced but if your air level system is like mine (04 Monaco Sig), it will not go into travel mode automatically like it usually does when you release the parking brake because it thinks the parking brake is still on, so you will need to remember to manually place the air level system into Travel Mode if you are used to the air level system doing that for you whenever you release the parking brake.
gcroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I pulled top off console and took the numbers off the switch, found new replacements on Ebay for about $45.00 including shipping. Maybe they are still selling them.
I really miss the BONG BONG BONG!
Good luck.
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Dave here is a picture of the switch from a 2004 Sig. Note the wires attach with screws not a plug as in previous pictured switch. I think this is the switch for all Monacos and the exact one received from Monaco Parts.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air brake switch.JPG
Views:	725
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	42968  
Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Dang it! Now I have to get off my duff and pull the parking brake valve/switch to verify the part number. Was hoping that I could obtain the switch first.

Thanks again for the input. It will help avoid going around in circles caused by ordering the wrong part to begin with.

BTW on edit: Northwest RV Supply has these for $36.00 if I can get the correct and corresponding part number.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
WindsorDave,
Just a quick note to let you know that I just verified the park brake switch number for my 2001 Dynasty and it is the exact same Nason switch that djhinds provided a photo of. Mine is also a Nason SM-2B-85R switch and has NC contacts and has screw terminals. On a side note, coming from the industrial and construction equipment world, I would highly recommend the Nason switch as they are a very well built, quality switch that should provide extended service life.

Good luck and Happy RV'g

Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,
I would check the switch number for sure, my 2003 Scepter uses a different one than shown in the photo, 3 wires go to a plug. I was able to get numbers without taking everything apart!
John G.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #10

Okay. I took the panel out of the left console and looked at the physical switch. It is, in fact, the one in the image shown in my original post. It has three wires going to a connector which is plugged into a mating connector. The Nason part number is SM-1C-66R/WP28 as shown in Rex's parts list.

Apparently Monaco used different switches for different series and/or years of manufacture.

I have a call in to Northwest RV Supply to order it.

Thanks again for all the inputs.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,
I found the invoice for the switch I ordered, it was the same number as yours, I know it wasn't the same as DJHINDS photo, always best to look if not sure!
John G
Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to e4services
OK. Working on a Beaver Patriot, so Monaco. Seems the Parking Brake pressure switch failed out of the blue (along with the coolant sender and tranny temp sender, weird, aliens I think). Found this thread, did some research (the engineering training), spoke with Nason. Nason builds to order, that is why the long lead time.
a 1/8" NPT, normally Closed, opening on pressure raise to 85 PSI, close on drop to 70 or so.
I went and search around for an 1/8" NPT Pressure switch, adjustable and found a $10 replacement. That sounds more what they are worth. the QPM11-NC
I did find that Nason makes an adjustable 1/8", the CJ sealed version and SQ-3 open frame version but they were $80 and $50 so I went for the cheap one and will adjust it on the bench with a compressed air supply to open at 85, it is just to give a signal to the dash and leveling systems anyway
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake