RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Parking Brake failure to release?

Just purchased a used 2000Holiday Rambler Ambassador DP. On the way home about 40 miles away started to see smoke running up the right side. Wasn't sure if it was somebody else as I was in city traffic. Almost home started to lose power hard to get to 35mph. After getting home felt the wheels and found the right front extemely hot. After thinking about it when I pushed the parking brake knob down I don't remember hearing the air release. Is possible the parking brakes did not release and got hotter and hotter causing power loss and smoke and the fire heat?
Thanks

maxwell18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The parking brake is on the rear wheels only. If they didn't release it may move but would take alot of throttle to do so. If the front wheel is hot then that is where I would start looking. May be a broken brake return spring or stuck brake cam. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

How many miles?

Have you grease the s-cam shafts?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It has 70K. What is the s cam shafts?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
S cam shafts are on rear wheels and have nothing to do with your problem as in your original post you said "front right wheel"....In addition to the front brake, it might also be a wheel bearing problem.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #6

I have s cam shafts on my front wheels too
Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If it has drum brakes on the front (which it probably does) it will have a brake cam on the front as well.
The brake cam also known as an S cam is a shaft that is turned by the slack adjuster when the brakes are applied. This in turn forces the brake shoes against the brake drum.
If it is disc brakes the you probably have a stuck caliper.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell18 View Post
Just purchased a used 2000Holiday Rambler Ambassador DP. On the way home about 40 miles away started to see smoke running up the right side. Wasn't sure if it was somebody else as I was in city traffic. Almost home started to lose power hard to get to 35mph. After getting home felt the wheels and found the right front extemely hot. After thinking about it when I pushed the parking brake knob down I don't remember hearing the air release. Is possible the parking brakes did not release and got hotter and hotter causing power loss and smoke and the fire heat?
Thanks
I think the Ambassador is the same coach as the Knight and the 2000 knight had disc brakes that gives a lot of problems especially if sits up a lot, the brake caliper in the Disc swells with moisture and on hard breaking will sometime stick, the only thing that I have heard that helps is to change the fluid yearly to try and keep the moisture out. The park brake is on the drive shaft.
You will probaly have to rebuild that caliper and vac the fluid and replace. If that happens again blead the pressure off of the caliper try to force it off of the disc or you could have a fire and possibly loose your coach.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks 2000 HR

Thanks for your information. It does have disk in the front. It does have history of problems in the brakes, bearings, calibers in the past. ( after talking to previous owner) Sounds like this brand has a history with problems with the brake system. You were saying change the fluid, does that mean drain all the brake fluid and replace annually?
Thanks again for the info
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yes Bruse the material the brake caliper piston is made of absorbs moisture and will swell by replacing the brake fluid anually hopeful this will keep the moisture out of the fluid helping to solve the problem. Harbor freight has a cheap brake blending devise that makes it easier.
The reason the bearings was probaly changed is when the piston sticks the heat will damage the seal and heat the grease that will probaly drain, there is no other reason for the bearings to fail unless just a bad bearing to begin, the front bearings should be good for over 60,000 miles before repack and then for about the same price you can go to oilers rather than grease.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #11

Uhm doesn't he have Air brakes? Why would there be fluid?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I understand it is air over hyd...

Tags
brake