RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

Parking brake. Wouldn't release.

Afternoon,
When we were in the Florida Keys recently and getting ready to leave the parking brakes wouldn't release.
I had drained down the air suspension and cycled the brake pedal to bleed the air faster after we had arrived and set up two weeks earlier.
When we got ready to leave I started the motorhome and let it air up but when I pushed the brake release they wouldn't let go. If it hadn't been for a kind person at the campground we were at then I think a call to Coach Net and possibly a tow could have been in order.
I have to admit I don't think I would have done what he did which was cycle the brakes several times let it air back up and applied the gas. Finally the right side let go but the left side was still holding so much so that the left side tires actually spun in the gravel. It finally let go but scared the crapola out of me. I don't think I would have ever applied that much accelerator.
Anyone know what may have caused the brakes to not release. The actual parking brake air valve that gives everyone problems was replaced about two years ago and I haven't had any problems with them not releasing or any hint of a problem. Several years ago this same thing happened but very briefly and I was able to just apply the gas and they released. Didn't think a whole lot more about it then. This time was a whole different strory
Only thing I can think of is maybe I didn't let it air up till it reached its set point and blow off and possibly maybe I applied to much grease to the slack adjusters or something when I greased before we left.
If anyone has any ideas then I'd like to here cause I don't want to go through that again.
Thanks,
Letsgoagain

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi,
I had that problem once in awhile with my 02 Windsor. If I was in one place for any length of time and it had rained it seemed like they would rust and not release. I would put it in low gear and drive forward until the movement of the wheel would break it free. Which is what you did.
After that happened a couple of times I would start the engine every few days if it rained and disengage and reengage the brake.

dapperphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The brake pads 'rust' against the drums. Often, if you know the air is up, back up to release them. The other method is to beat on the drum with a hammer. If you know you're going to be in one place an extended time, you could use wheel chocks and your jacks, then release the emergency brake. Just don't forget to re-apply them before removing chocks or raising the jacks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

dapperphil,
Funny you should mention the starting it up, releasing the brakes and re applying them. That's what I did the next stop and extended stay. Moved the motorhome a few inches forward and back to make sure it would move.
Kind of disconcerting when it won't go when its supposed to.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure you`ve greased the slack adjusters -- The`re often missed, & that will cause the problem -- Bill Willard
William Willard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The solution when wet is ride the brakes to warm them up before parking and they won't stick when parked and if they do stick rock the coach forward and back or you will sometime have to get under the coach to beat them loose, just get them hot enough to dissapate the moister and problem solved if raining.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #7

I would not fan the brakes to "let the air out" while parking brake is applied. This super sets the brakes, by the combined forces of the springs and the air pressure.

Most times you can full air up, release parking brake and fully apply the foot brake to overcome the highest application.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Happened to me once here in Florida. I had to clear the area in front and rock it with power to break them loose.

It was caused by wet brakes.

It never happened again because when I suspect the brakes are wet I drive around and slowly heat them up. If you are on level ground you may not want to engage the air parking brake until your confident the drums are dry but just driving around and applying the brakes work for me. During wet weather I apply my brakes a lot just to keep them dry so I am normally ok when I get to the campsite.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have had this problem, too. I find if I do the daily airbrake check. It not only assures the slack adjusters have done their job but that the pneumatic brakes are in good working order and I have unstuck any rusted brakes.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake