RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #1

Perplexing Aqua Hot Issue

Well here I am again. I have been prepping the mh for a two week trip starting tomorrow. Everything was all good until I fired up the aqua hot for a test. It performed as usual although I hadn't ran any water through the domestic loop yet so it was still full of rv anti-freeze.

I soon noticed what looked to be white wispy smoke coming from under the mh. I looked under and I could see smoke coming from the around the exhaust elbow of where it leaves the bottom of the combustion chamber to exit out the side of the mh.

Fearing I would have a fire I shut off the aqua hot and then it soon stopped smoking. I took off the cover of the aqua hot but nothing looked out of the ordinary. I slight film of diesel below the burner area but I noticed that last year when I did the annual service but I found nothing leaking diesel fuel.

I turned the aqua hot back on and as soon as the exhaust pipe heated up that wispy smoke came for the elbow area again. It is kind of a burning smell. It's not exhaust and it's not under pressure. I had a fire extinguisher handy and let the aqua hot cycle a few times and the smoke would come back as soon as the exhaust pipe got hot.

Any ideas?

Irishguy

irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 01:06 AM   #2

Could it be steam? Could water be leaking down on the exhaust pipe? Any drain valves left open?

Topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:54 AM   #3

Well, if any coolant got on the pipe for whatever reason it will steam like crazy till it burns off.
I can't say for sure not seeing yours but I know from experience mine has done that. If it persists, you may have a coolant leak somewhere that is getting on the burner area somehow.

What you want is for it to steam off and stop. If it keeps steaming and steaming, I vote leak.
On mine it was the little plastic drain they installed under the cover, next to the burner, forward bottom. It cracked and over time the steam got worse and worse till I found it.
Not a hard repair, sort of.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquahot leak.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	199229

If the white smoke is coming out the exhaust pipe (the way I read your post it is not) that is likely moisture in the diesel system, lines, filter or whatever.

Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Smell? What does it smell like? You said burning, but like fuel, slightly sweet (coolant)?
Too much fuel will make a white cloud , but from inside the pipe. I had a fitting split on the back, dripping coolant onside the housing and coming out around the exhaust, slight steam with that, but the levels dropped fast,
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My vote is a coolant leak, too.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Well, if any coolant got on the pipe for whatever reason it will steam like crazy till it burns off.
I can't say for sure not seeing yours but I know from experience mine has done that. If it persists, you may have a coolant leak somewhere that is getting on the burner area somehow.

What you want is for it to steam off and stop. If it keeps steaming and steaming, I vote leak.
On mine it was the little plastic drain they installed under the cover, next to the burner, forward bottom. It cracked and over time the steam got worse and worse till I found it.
Not a hard repair, sort of.
Attachment 199229

If the white smoke is coming out the exhaust pipe (the way I read your post it is not) that is likely moisture in the diesel system, lines, filter or whatever.

Windecker
Is your finger pointing at the AH drain?... and if so is that factory or a replacement deal?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

Hello to all the replies so far.

It seems more like smoke than steam. It's a whitish gray color. There is no sound of anything bubbling or boiling off.

I checked the drain valve but all looks good. There is no evidence of any leaking aqua hot anti-freeze or rv anti-freeze, that I could see anyway. The expansion tank showed full when hot.

What ever it is it is on the outside of the exhaust pipe right at the 90 degree elbow below the aqua-hot combustion chamber.

There is a slight residue of diesel on the inside bottom pan of the aqua-hot but I can't see any source for that. That residue was there when I did the annual on it last summer.

The smoke (maybe steam) smells like a burning hydrocarbon not an automotive anti-freeze smell. I don't know what pink rv anti-freeze would smell like if it touched a hot exhaust pipe though.

I decided to take it to an aquahot tech this morning. The closest one is 2.5 hour drive to another City. So now I'm waiting.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #8

Factory unfortunately. You can google around on this site and see others have had the same issue. Mine was cracked at the base, very very difficult to even see the leak because of where it is and the insulation all around it.

Was cracked flush with the heat exchanger and zero chance of getting it out without an extraction tool. Not sure who thought a plastic drain was a good idea on an heat exchanger
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Is your finger pointing at the AH drain?... and if so is that factory or a replacement deal?

Thanks in advance
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #9

Update. The rv tech has confirmed that it is coolant that is leaking from somewhere. It is steam not smoke.

The residue on the pan below the burner that I noticed last year is coolant not diesel like I thought. The tech says it looks to have been have been leaking for awhile but it never steamed on the exhaust before though so it must be worse now.

The expansion tank is at normal levels when hot and cold. I have never needed to add a drop to it.

The tech tested the domestic hot water loop and says it is fine.

So any ideas where the leak could be?

Could it be the engine preheat loop? If so can that just be bypassed?

The tech is suggesting that the unit be taken out and sent to aquahot for a complete refurbishing. The final cost would be about $15,000! Ouch!

I'm not happy to say the least.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Update. The rv tech has confirmed that it is glycol that is leaking from somewhere. It is steam not smoke.

The residue on the pan below the burner that I noticed last year is glycol not diesel like I thought. The tech says it looks to have been have been leaking for awhile but it never steamed on the exhaust before though so it must be worse now.

The expansion tank is at normal levels when hot and cold. I have never needed to add a drop to it.

The tech tested the domestic hot water loop and says it is fine.

So any ideas where the leak could be?

Could it be the engine preheat loop? If so can that just be bypassed?

The tech is suggesting that the unit be taken out and sent to aquahot for a complete refurbishing. The final cost would be about $15,000! Ouch!

I'm not happy to say the least.
There are a couple of extension fittings on the back side. Thet are brass. They are thin and crack easily. It took me almost an entire day to locate it. About 15 minutes to fix it.
I would look at those
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Community Moderator

I would also check the cap and over flow tube closely. Both are known to leak.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
There are a couple of extension fittings on the back side. Thet are brass. They are thin and crack easily. It took me almost an entire day to locate it. About 15 minutes to fix it.
I would look at those

If those have been leaking for a long time would I not notice a drop in my coolant level in the expansion tank? It has never been down a drop.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I would also check the cap and over flow tube closely. Both are known to leak.
The tech said they are fine. I wish it could have been those.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Perplexing Aqua Hot Issue

Cap and surge tank hose are most likely .. if it’s leaking at one of the lower welded points on the tank you need a new tank. Aquahot WILL rebuild yours for 8000 plus 400 shipping both ways not including labor to remove and replace .. I was quoted 10-15 hours bet the shop “forgot “ to mention that
Also
there is a service shop in California ( Howard’s ) that will remove replace and put in a custom built tank for about 8000 Also John Carrillo in Colorado does a rebuild ( heatmyrv)
Hopefully you can see the leak on the outer fittings .. if not the tank has rusted . Not a cheap fix . Look at Aqua hot site for info on the rebuild most shops won’t touch them or will just sell you a new one... 14 grand
Not a pleasant experience to be sure .... I can attest

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote