RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I took delivery on my new Knight 40PLQ! We are very pleased with it. It is a beautiful beast, and drives like a dream.

I picked it up yesterday and proceeded to drive it ~550 miles to my storage yard to load her up. Even though we are dry camping in my storage spot, I think I can officially say that I am a full timer now!

A couple of questions have come up. I am RTFM now, but maybe some experience can help me out a bit -

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Transmission Temp: the gauge showed very little (if any) movement on my drive. Should this gauge see much change with a cool/cold ambient temperature? (My Aladdin is inop at the moment - replacement is on the way)
<LI>Has anyone replaced the stock Magnadyne in-dash stereo? Looks like a 1.5 DIN size opening. Any luck finding a harness for a normal head unit? Any issues hooking into the stock speakers?
<LI>The driver side furnace seems to not blow as much as the passenger side furnace. The driver side supplies the rear of the coach, and it seems to be a bit cooler than the front. Sounds like the blower is turning, but not much action. Thoughts?
<LI>My batteries seem to be a bit weak. Looks like the born on date for the chassis is 03/2006. Could the batteries be worn to the point that they won't recover in such a short time? I understand that they don't get the best care on the dealer's lot. I have topped them off with distilled water. I have run the generator for several hours, and the panel shows they are being charged. Once the generator is off, the charge goes from 12.8(or so) down to 11.9 in just a few minutes (less than 10). This is with a couple of 12v lights and a TV going. Very small load.[/list]
I know that many of my little issues can be taken care of by the dealer, but I like trying to be self sufficient as much as possible. I have only found very small annoyances, and am extremely happy with my coach so far. It is hard to believe this 40' beast drives easier than my old 34' gas coach

Thanks for any help. I will keep RTFM

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I took delivery on my new Knight 40PLQ! We are very pleased with it. It is a beautiful beast, and drives like a dream.

I picked it up yesterday and proceeded to drive it ~550 miles to my storage yard to load her up. Even though we are dry camping in my storage spot, I think I can officially say that I am a full timer now!

A couple of questions have come up. I am RTFM now, but maybe some experience can help me out a bit -

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Transmission Temp: the gauge showed very little (if any) movement on my drive. Should this gauge see much change with a cool/cold ambient temperature? (My Aladdin is inop at the moment - replacement is on the way)
<LI>Has anyone replaced the stock Magnadyne in-dash stereo? Looks like a 1.5 DIN size opening. Any luck finding a harness for a normal head unit? Any issues hooking into the stock speakers?
<LI>The driver side furnace seems to not blow as much as the passenger side furnace. The driver side supplies the rear of the coach, and it seems to be a bit cooler than the front. Sounds like the blower is turning, but not much action. Thoughts?
<LI>My batteries seem to be a bit weak. Looks like the born on date for the chassis is 03/2006. Could the batteries be worn to the point that they won't recover in such a short time? I understand that they don't get the best care on the dealer's lot. I have topped them off with distilled water. I have run the generator for several hours, and the panel shows they are being charged. Once the generator is off, the charge goes from 12.8(or so) down to 11.9 in just a few minutes (less than 10). This is with a couple of 12v lights and a TV going. Very small load.[/list]
I know that many of my little issues can be taken care of by the dealer, but I like trying to be self sufficient as much as possible. I have only found very small annoyances, and am extremely happy with my coach so far. It is hard to believe this 40' beast drives easier than my old 34' gas coach

Thanks for any help. I will keep RTFM

--kev

Old 12-15-2006, 04:32 AM   #3
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Not an expert, so I won't charge for this advise

My tranny temp seldom reaches the 150-degree mark. When ambient air temp is below 50, the guage hardly moves (maybe 120 indicated).

I am almost a battery expert after an extended fight with Interstate about my new cells. They can be bad from the first. I have two of the large commercial-size cells in parallel. From initial installation, one demanded a lot of water. After 11-months, it finally died. Bad from the factory. The Interstate guy told me that a slow, 48-hour charge should be done on new batteries (this info was provided after I paid more to replace the bad battery than it cost initially after 11-months usage).

Have a specific gravity test done. Supposedly, that will give an indication of the battery's health.

Congrats on the new baby. You are going to post some pictures for me to drool over, right??
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi again digNbubbs -

CONGRATS on the new coach! I'm sure you're going to like it more and more each day. And don't be afraid to ask questions or post comments, that's how we all got here!

"RTFM" - ROTFLMAO!

My tranny temp almost never moves too. I asked a tech at Wildwood service center and a Cummins person, and they both said the gauge itself could have been better, but it does work. I have the SilverLeaf VMSpc (similar to your Alladin in concept) and it reports true readings. The tech started the engine, put it in gear and kept his foot on the brake til the temp did start moving up so it ain't dead. They also said the electronic-brains will keep the tranny and engine from destroying themselves, so that's another layer of comfort. Alladin will also help to keep an eye on it all.

I haven't looked at replacing the stock radio yet (AH-HA, another project!!), but the connector does look quite standard so I'd assume it would be easy. Lots of room behind the panel too.

Have you checked for any heat-leaks along the furnace ducts? A previous coach had a 2" gap between duct ends, not much heat transfer there! Or maybe an obstruction in the ducts?

I think RonNBama is right-on with the batteries. They can/do take a beating sitting on a lot, so it's worth it to take a long hard look at such a heavy/expensive (ever notice how weight seems to be directly related to price??) item. At least get it listed on your dealer punch-list so if it/they fail soon, you'll have a record that you mentioned it.

Other than that, keep on enjoying! It's the best way to test & figure everything out.

And yeah, we want pictures!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will follow up with a few things and report back.

I have only taken a few pictures so far, but once I am loaded up and on the road, I will have more than anyone cares to see Here are a few:

Floorplan animation I made -

Back side -

Looking forward -

My domain -

My other domain -

The main reason for the Knight was for this floorplan. I am still working full time, and needed a place to hold my geek-ware. Should work out perfect!

These pics were from the purchase. More here - Album

Thanks again for the help. I am sure I will have more

--kev

Old 12-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Awwwww man! Now I wish I hadn't asked to see pics!

That is magnificent! Congratulations. If you veer have to leave for an extended overseas vacation or something and need someone to exercise the Knight.............
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
digNbubbs, Great looking coach. I reaally like the colors, both outside and inside. I know you are really going to enjoy it more and more as you get used to all the features. Good luck and good travels. Glenn.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Kev-Angie...
Congrats on your new "Baby". Our "baby" is 2.5 months older than yours... but still young - and will probably not be "played with" as much as yours.. but I guarantee you - it will be loved as much as your "little one"!!
Congrats!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The maiden voyage has been pretty awesome!! This coach is such a pleasure to drive. Early Friday morning we left San Jose, CA and drove to Burnet, Texas and arrived on Sunday afternoon. It was about 1700 miles and I experienced no real issues!

We tracked down a couple of squeeks and leaks, but nothing that was really too bad. The transmission gauge showed a little action, so found out that it does work. It moved very slightly when in traffic on a large grade. My batteries starting doing much better, although I would still like to test them to see if they have much life left in them.

I will call the Monaco support number this week about the furnaces tho. The bedroom has been a bit chilly. I blocked off one of the registers, and it is doing better. The front furnace does not seem to shut off after the temperature is satisfied. I am sure there is something simple going on with them.

We were glad to arrive, and simply love this coach!!

--kev

Old 12-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I found that the thermostat for the front compartment was in a hole in the wall that was not insulated from the outside wall. I took off the cover and added some insulation to ensure it was reading the true inside temp. Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flyer:
I found that the thermostat for the front compartment was in a hole in the wall that was not insulated from the outside wall. I took off the cover and added some insulation to ensure it was reading the true inside temp. Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great info - thanks. Is it located in between the curbside front slide and the front door?

Thanks -

--kevin

Old 12-26-2006, 03:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Kevin -

Whooo-Hoooo on the new ride. Glad it's going so well for y'all.

As Flyer pointed out, the temperature-probe positioning seem to be something that is often overlooked during final assembly. The probes themselves are usually stuffed back into the wall and therefore don't get to 'see' actual room-temperature. They are located behind those little 2" ventilated raised disks stuck to the wall.
I liked to never figure out what that little piece of plastic was for til I just got brave and took one off - found the wiring coiled up way in there. Pulled it out and stuck the probe-head thru the slits, and now mine are right-on temp-wise.
As far as actually WHERE they may be, seems different coach-plans have 'em in different locations. I have a PAQ, and mine are right where you referenced. Reading the Dometic installation literature, they suggest the probes NOT be located on outside walls, where or air-vents would blow directly on 'em (duh!) or where they could be subject to other sources of heat/cold (like under the tv in the front overhead like I've heard about). Moving 'em to a better spot is possible, but depending on coach layout might be a big job.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:33 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Kevin
My thermostat for the front furnace is located on the curb wall, as you said, just aft of the coach door.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the tips guys. I checked them both and they seemed to be in the right position. I will try to insulate the forward sensor some, as it is pretty chilly on that wall.

Thanks again -

--kevin