Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 03:33 AM   #1

Pioneer 2 DIN Nav-Bluetooth-FM unit in 2007 Monaco Camelot

Newbie here and I'm likely to have lots of questions for you veterans.
I just purchased my first motorhome. 2007 Monaco Camelot, 42 PDQ.

I want to upgrade the radio tuner to a Pioneer, AVCI 8400 NX which has a 7" screen and all the bells and whistles including Nav, touchscreen, FM, CD and much more. My question is has anyone upgraded with this 2 DIN Pioneer model on the dash of a 2007 Monaco? I understand the dash now has 1.5 DIN opening so the dash would need to be cut about an inch up or down. Photo of dash is attached.

Thanks Clint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit Dash 2007 Camelot.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	238357  
Can use all the tips you have.
Hclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 04:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
For ME, that position on the dash is much too low for a GPS. When looking at that your eyes will be no where near on the road. Put a larger cup in the cup holder and you'll end up having to look around the cup. I had the same issue with mine and opted for a standalone GPS mounted on top of the dash. It's not as neat to look at, but it's much more functional and safer.

The only suggestion I have towards your REAL question is to get a good look behind the dash to make sure you have that extra space required either above or below the current radio. What looks nice and spacious from the front may have some immovable mounted behind it.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Clint! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with that! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:26 AM   #4

regarding location for the GPS

Thank you for the replys

Podivin, You are right about it making more sense for the GPS to be higher on the dash. However I am trying to keep that area clean in the event I go for the Silver leaf system to replace my Alladan which seems to be dead.
AND, one of the features of the Pioneer screen is can tilt the bottom up for more comfortable viewing.

What I am wondering is if anyone specifically with the 2007 Monaco Camelot dash shown in the photo has installed a 2DIN unit in place of the OEM Radio? It appears I could cut about 1" down, just not sure what is behind there.

Thanks, Clint
Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
the best answer is - lift the dash and measure it
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Clint....I owned a 2005 Monaco Diplomat with the old Magnadyne 1.5 DIN radio. I replaced it, back then, with a Pioneer AVIC D-1, the first generation of what you have. My dash was configured a little differently, but there was room for the double DIN. Securing the radio frame was probably the most difficult, but not that hard to do.

Surprisingly, the wiring color codes don't change and it was an easy wiring job. Last month, I pulled out the crappy "PREMIUM" radio that Newmar installs. I still like the Pioneer products, but felt the Kenwood radio was a better product for me on my new coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #7

When I had my 07 Camelot, I replaced the stock radio with a double din Kenwood. Just cut the hole a little bigger and worked great. Mine also has GPS, and could see it fine from that spot.

Good Luck.

Carl
Old 03-19-2019, 02:21 AM   #8

Thanks All! Sounds like it should work with a little modification.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Silver leaf makes a VMS 350/440 that displays on your various monitors you already have...Aladdin/backup camera. My “new” ride does not have Aladdin...has a Kenwood with a screen which displays the 4 cameras. Engine info is overlaid over the backup camera screen which is centered on the top of the dash to the right of center. I would not want it any lower and it angles.

Pretty sure your other Aladdin pages can be incorporated into the VMS 440. The 330 cost $1000 and was fairly easy to hookup. Has a control panel that lets you scroll through the various pages. Require 15 minutes of phone tech support to get it to work with my engine.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:14 AM   #10

The Silver Leaf Idea.

Thanks Ivylog for your reply. The Aladdin is not working on my coach. It is in the shop and I am told the 'brain' is missing. I also have issues with 2 of the 3 cameras and of course the monitor is old so I am looking at replacing that system as well as the radio tuner described in my original post.
I have looked at the Silver Lake system and it looks great, albeit 'pricy'.

Is it your impression that if I replace the tuner with the Pioneer/Kenwood with the navigation and then also replace my cameras and monitor that I will have all the display needed for the Silver Leaf system(s)? I am assuming I could run, without an overlay, switching the camera monitor to view the engine input, tank levels etc.

Thx, Clint
Old 03-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
On my Silver Leaf system the RCA cable from the rear camera (could be any camera) is rerouted through the 330 which injects the engine info that it gets from the data port besides the steering column. My cameras are displayed on the Kenwood but it could be any monitor...your current one if it works.
I would get the rear camera to work on your current monitor by bypassing the Aladdin...run its RCA cable (or any other camera) straight to the monitor, not through the Aladdin. I would make sure what works or not before just replacing.

I like the engine info overlaid on the backup camera as I look at that info more than what the camera sees.

I can change what items are displayed on each of the 4 pages. Here is a picture of my center stack with my page 1 info:

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:43 AM   #12

Thanks for your advice Ivylog---something for me to further investigate for sure.
Congrats on your "new" ride!

Tags
monaco