Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #15

Don't confuse wandering with play in the steering. There are many forces at play that push a coach around if it isn't well balanced.

To check play (steering wheel moving while not engaging), have someone get in the driver's seat, fire up the engine so you have power steering. The have them wag the steering wheel back & forth 1", then 2" then 3, 4, 5, 6. Each time check the movement (if any) in each element from steering column thru steering box, Pitman arm, drag link ball joints, etc. Wheel may be tightly connected to drag link but ball joints worn, or tie rod ball joints worn. This will tell you if you have play in the steering, how much and where.

Wandering (coach moving around on the road) could be caused by front alignment (which is 3 dimensional), rear alignment aka 4 wheel alignment, bad weight balance (which is way more common on DP moho's than it should be, but it is what it is), ride height adjustment, etc. Wandering may be happening even w/zero play in the steering gear. I had a P30 chassis rig that wandered like a gypsy, but alignment specs were dead on; the pig was way top heavy and undersprung. Many short coaches are way light in the front end. Good weight balance is 40/60 front/back, but a lot of rigs are closer to 30/70. I drove a 36ft Country Coach that scared the hell out of me, a white knuckle ride for sure due to very bad balance fore-aft.

When Western RV (makers of Alpine Coach) went from their 40/60 design for a "36" footer, actually 37ft, to a "34" footer actually 35ft, they found to keep the same kindly handling they needed to add nearly 500# of steel bar to the front axle area. Roadmaster (and Country Coach for that matter, a supposedly ultra high end rig) sold lots of rigs that were configured for marketing purposes and never really designed for driving.

You can take the play out of Sheppard steering gear BTW by using shims in the gear packing. You have to dismount the box to open it; good time to replace all seals IMO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
My 2012 Knight has a Sheppard box and it has a little play in it since the day it was new. It's very annoying.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
YC1

Ditto my Sheppard having about an inch of play. I do have the Safe-T-Plus and it helped some. I built a trim kit for it and that helps when the road has a crown or a steady cross wind. In any case it still is much easier to handle after ride height, alignment, safe-t-plus, and a huge improvement with sway bars from Source Enginnering.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Don't confuse wandering with play in the steering. There are many forces at play that push a coach around if it isn't well balanced.

To check play (steering wheel moving while not engaging), have someone get in the driver's seat, fire up the engine so you have power steering. The have them wag the steering wheel back & forth 1", then 2" then 3, 4, 5, 6. Each time check the movement (if any) in each element from steering column thru steering box, Pitman arm, drag link ball joints, etc. Wheel may be tightly connected to drag link but ball joints worn, or tie rod ball joints worn. This will tell you if you have play in the steering, how much and where.

Wandering (coach moving around on the road) could be caused by front alignment (which is 3 dimensional), rear alignment aka 4 wheel alignment, bad weight balance (which is way more common on DP moho's than it should be, but it is what it is), ride height adjustment, etc. Wandering may be happening even w/zero play in the steering gear. I had a P30 chassis rig that wandered like a gypsy, but alignment specs were dead on; the pig was way top heavy and undersprung. Many short coaches are way light in the front end. Good weight balance is 40/60 front/back, but a lot of rigs are closer to 30/70. I drove a 36ft Country Coach that scared the hell out of me, a white knuckle ride for sure due to very bad balance fore-aft.

When Western RV (makers of Alpine Coach) went from their 40/60 design for a "36" footer, actually 37ft, to a "34" footer actually 35ft, they found to keep the same kindly handling they needed to add nearly 500# of steel bar to the front axle area. Roadmaster (and Country Coach for that matter, a supposedly ultra high end rig) sold lots of rigs that were configured for marketing purposes and never really designed for driving.

You can take the play out of Sheppard steering gear BTW by using shims in the gear packing. You have to dismount the box to open it; good time to replace all seals IMO.
Absolutely right on the money!
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Took the RV to have the Alinement looked after. They found it a little out and took me on a test drive. They noticed some play in the steering wheel. Checking that they seem to think I need a new steering gear box. They didn't have one and I thought I would look around for a better one. The one on my Knight is non adjustable. After $300 I drove back to home and found very little difference from the alinement only. Just thinking about a steering unit called (Safe-T-plus) steering stabilizer. ?? Don't know at this point.
Any ideas on a better gear box?
So did the shop install a new steering box?

If so which brand and model number?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
Haven't replaced it yet. Still looking for a shop that will do it. Not sure I want another Sheppard.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #21

Latest on my rig...

I took a closer look at the steering box play at the weekend and don't think that is the problem. Previously, I made the mistake of checking with no power. This time, I had the motor running and although the movement is tiny, there is movement on the pittman arm. It is probably about a 40:1 ratio so that movement is small.

Today I did a 'down and dirty' check of the front alignment just using a tape measure between the tires. From my primitive observations, it looks like I have about 1/2" toe-out so my next task is alignment.

I don't think I can make any other assumptions until I get the alignment sorted.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
RWeigant

I didn't see where you mentioned the number of miles on the coach. I operated large over the road fleets for 30 years. We routinely put 600,000 miles on the rigs and occasionally over a million. I can't remember ever replacing a steering box. There must be some factory spec's & tolerances to review somewhere. Seems rare to see a MH exceed 100,000 miles. I wouldn't rush to spend the $$ on a new box.

Just my opinion........
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
These motor homes really need a bit of toe in. Mine was toed out a bit when I first got it and it wandered all over the place, put 1/8 toe in on it and couldn't believe the difference. Drives great now
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering