Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

Please excuse the dumb questions I知 new at this

Are you supposed to leave the inverter on all the time even when plugged in or running the generator?

Also I have 4 house batteries and one of them is hot to the touch but the other 3 are not. Is it supposed to be that way?

Thanks!
tmatador is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

I leave my inverter on all the time.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmatador View Post
Are you supposed to leave the inverter on all the time even when plugged in or running the generator?

Also I have 4 house batteries and one of them is hot to the touch but the other 3 are not. Is it supposed to be that way?

Thanks!
Have you checked the voltage of the battery's? cleaned and inspected all the connections? The first impression is the hot battery has a bad cell.
I leave both my inverter and converter on all the time. ( I have 50 amp at storage)
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #4

Re: Inverter - is it a combined inverter/converter or a stand alone inverter? If it is a combined unit it should switch over to charging the batteries when shore power or the generator provides 120 VAC. Turning it off will prevent charging the house batteries. Read The Fine Manual. Somewhere in all the warnings will be a couple of useful pages about how it works.

One battery should not be hotter than the rest. That indicates a bad battery. Unless they are all new it's time for 4 new ones. If one failed the others are probably waiting their turn. Better to have all 4 the same age and condition.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When turned off, my inverter still charges my batteries. When I put my MH in storage, I plug it in to shore power and turn the inverter OFF. If there is a power outage, I don't want to drain my batteries. Check your inverter's owners manual to see if yours charges your batteries when it is turned off.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:48 AM   #6

Inverter Charger

My Freedom 20 is turned off normally.

When plugged into Shore Power it automatically charges the batteries.

When in storage, I leave it plugged into a 115 VAC outlet with a Timer so the batteries remain charged and check battery water every few weeks.

When Boon Docking, I turn the Inverter on with switch on power monitor panel, to provide 115/120 VAC power to the coach for short periods. Or run the generator as needed.

Regards,
Old 10-28-2017, 06:08 AM   #7
YC1

Welcome to the forum.

If you mean leaving the "inverter on" by using the little control switch then it is your choice. I like to leave mine on so power outages don't cause the Direct Tv to take ten minutes to reboot.

A battery that is hot needs to be replaced immediately. It can be a real danger. Make sure you ventilate the area well before taking pictures of the area so you do not forget where any wires go.

I would be highly suspect of all four batteries if one is sick. A hydrometer is cheap and easy to use. Check all batteries with it. Load test are ok but don't tell the whole story.

Remember, no one ever actually buys batteries. We just rent them for a time. They all have limited life.

When you get a chance, edit your profile to include your Make and Model or just post it each time.

These are complicated beasts. Did you get an owners manual? If you did take plenty of time to read it end to end and keep notes. You will forget things shortly after saying ah ha! Use a highlighter. Write important page numbers on the front page. For example, where are the fuses located.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No worries...
In my simple mind, you can leave the invertor on at all times, BUT, if you don't need Inverted power when NOT connected to electricity, you can turn it off because it uses your battery power also...
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 10-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With my inverter I can leave the charger on and shut the inverter off.
3000 watt PSW Freedom unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I leave my invertor on all the time. If power goes out, we have a backup that way. I never....well...seldom have to reset the clocks.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #11

I didn稚 see anyone mention checking water levels in the batteries. I知 sorry if it was already mentioned. I would start there for troubleshooting the warm battery.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I only switch on the inverter when needed. Charging is always left on.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I leave my inverter on all the time, with the exception of when I have it stored for a while. Between trips etc.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have a hot battery out of the group, I would test the batteries comparing the results to each other and verify you do not have a bad battery.
This is where I like to use a battery hydrometer. If you get any with a cell or cells 50 or more points different than the others, consider it as a candidate for replacement.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/E-Z-Red-SP101...ery+hydrometer