Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Please tell me I'm not in trouble

2006 Holiday Rambler, 40 foot Deisel.
I started the engine yesterday and I had a red light on the dash that said "ALT. CHARGE".
I don't like red lights.
Started fine and ran like normal, what should I be worred about?
I did notice the charge guage seemed to stay around 14.
We have been sitting for two months.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
If your rig's been sitting for two months, maybe your engine battery was down to the point where the "alternator charge light" comes on as a sort of heads-up. The high-charge-guage reading would make sense, at least to me, in that situation...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
If the dash volt gauge is at or above 13.5 you are OK, but keep a very close eye on it. The light will come on if the alternator fails but the dash gauge would then read 12 volts or lower. If the dash gauge stays at or above 13.5 and the light stays on, then the Hasmar relay in the front run bay under the driver's window is bad. That is a special potted relay available only from Monaco.

If the dash gauge reads 12 volts or lower, the alternator is not charging and will need to be rebuild. Monaco does not use a standard alternator, so don't let a shop sell you a new one unless they get it from Monaco. Rebuilding will be much less expensive.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem one time. Started it up while plugged in to shore power. alt light came on and alladin showed 15 volts. I unplugged shore power and it went back to normal charge 13.6 volts.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
2006 Holiday Rambler, 40 foot Deisel.
I started the engine yesterday and I had a red light on the dash that said "ALT. CHARGE".
I don't like red lights.
Started fine and ran like normal, what should I be worred about?
I did notice the charge guage seemed to stay around 14.
We have been sitting for two months.
Unplug the shore power and the light should go off.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Check the alternator on the engine to see if the serpentine belt is still in place. I threw a belt on my Cat C7 and had the same lights come on while driving. Everything else seemed fine until the engine started to overheat.

Good Luck,
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Like Bob, everytime I start the engine while being plugged on shore, my Alt light is ON, when I unplugg, it goes to normal. I would suggest not to unplug the power while the engine is running.
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #8

Keep an eye on the volt gage! We had a high then normal out put and were several hundred miles from any place to work on it. The altenator was 'over' charging an cooked the chassis batteries. It made a mess but........Got the MH to a Kenworth shop where they replaced the altenator, batteries and cleaned up the battery bay.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #9

When your volt gage shows overcharging it helps to turn on all of your lights, heater/air conditioner on high and any other 12 volt appliances you have, then travel at the lowest speed possible for traffic. The goal is to use as much electricity as possible.

Or if you know where your voltage regulator is you can tap (not hit) it with a small hammer, sometimes this will unstick it. Then you can get it replaced.
RustNnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes after sitting a long time it takes a while for everything to work again, Alternators are epically sensitive to moisture, Watch the voltage, if it starts doing like Bo Derek getting older (10-9-8-7) actually if it goes 14,13.12, Find repair fast. (or otherwise charge it, You can fire up the generator and if needed put a portable automotive smart charger on it for an emergency trip).

If it clears up and stays at 14 V.. you are not in trouble.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
Sometimes after sitting a long time it takes a while for everything to work again, Alternators are epically sensitive to moisture, Watch the voltage, if it starts doing like Bo Derek getting older (10-9-8-7) actually if it goes 14,13.12, Find repair fast. (or otherwise charge it, You can fire up the generator and if needed put a portable automotive smart charger on it for an emergency trip).

If it clears up and stays at 14 V.. you are not in trouble.
On our way home from lazydays with our knight, I got an alternator light twice. Both times, shutting down and restarting cleared it, and the dash voltmeter was normal throughout.
It happened once on our next trip.
In 2 more years, it hasn't happened again.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote