Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Jim, this is the way I handled the problem!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/slide...rt-189399.html

Joe.. I like your idea. Got a couple of questions.

First, how does it withstand winds?
Second, if you don't glue the long horizontal pieces to the end pieces, what keeps them from falling out when you pull the whole thing out for storage?

I have four slides, but only the large 18' slide accumulates water. Typically, it will just run off when I retract the slide, but last time there must have been more water up there and when I tried to retract, the center connection on the topper/roller popped loose...I guess from the weight of the water.

My opposing 16' slide topper also gathers some water, but nothing like the big one.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #16

Pooling on Slide Topper

We have tried PVC creations, beach balls, and even closing the slide to push the water off. Then we realized the topper actually works with simple physics principles; as the water drips the weight lessens and the topper springs pull the fabric in and as the fabric dries (especially in the sun) the weight of water lessens faster and pulls the fabric tighter. So we figured if we could cause the water to repel off the topper fabric faster the topper would retract faster--now we treat the fabric once a year with Scotch Guard water repellant purchased at Home Depot. When it rains now, we hear the water rushing off the topper, streaming down the side of the slide and the topper actually retracts faster; no more weight of water sitting or sagging the fabric.

Ray
RayJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJo View Post
We have tried PVC creations, beach balls, and even closing the slide to push the water off. Then we realized the topper actually works with simple physics principles; as the water drips the weight lessens and the topper springs pull the fabric in and as the fabric dries (especially in the sun) the weight of water lessens faster and pulls the fabric tighter. So we figured if we could cause the water to repel off the topper fabric faster the topper would retract faster--now we treat the fabric once a year with Scotch Guard water repellant purchased at Home Depot. When it rains now, we hear the water rushing off the topper, streaming down the side of the slide and the topper actually retracts faster; no more weight of water sitting or sagging the fabric.

Ray
Excellent Ray.... I'll give it a shot!

Ron
Old 05-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #18

I suppose one could tie a ball in the middle of a rope, one end of rope thrown, pushed thru under the topper, then pull the big ball thru to the mid point. I think those old Romper Room balls would work. Leave colored rope hanging to remind you to pull the ball out when closing the slide. Lots of work but I bet it would work. Deflate the ball for storage to save space.
Maybe one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463426789722.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	127201  
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Joe.. I like your idea. Got a couple of questions.

First, how does it withstand winds?
Second, if you don't glue the long horizontal pieces to the end pieces, what keeps them from falling out when you pull the whole thing out for storage?

I have four slides, but only the large 18' slide accumulates water. Typically, it will just run off when I retract the slide, but last time there must have been more water up there and when I tried to retract, the center connection on the topper/roller popped loose...I guess from the weight of the water.

My opposing 16' slide topper also gathers some water, but nothing like the big one.

Ron

I'm not sure this idea would be practical for a slide that long. My longest slide is 12'. I made two 6' supports, and stick one in from each end. Yours would have to be 9' long each. I guess you could add another set of legs in the middle of each support. That should work OK!

I haven't had any problem with winds. The fabric is stretched tight over the supports and so far, so good!

When I put them together, I push the pipes firmly into the legs on each end, and haven't had a problem with them pulling off while I am taking them out. Sometimes I have a little problem getting the pipes out of the legs to store them. I have to wiggle them side-to-side while twisting them out!

If we're just going to be at a CG for a few days and no rain is forecast, I don't bother putting up the supports.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #20

For balls, use tether balls. Already has a rope attachment.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Actually, as previously mentioned, one or two small beach balls or balloons work great especially the balloons as they will bust when you bring in the slide if you forget to take them out. No harm no foul!

For those that have the combo topper awnings such as the Carefree Omega I or Omega II, if you deploy the window awning water will not pool on the topper. This does not help the people who only have toppers and no combo awnings.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I have not noticed this with the combo. I will have to see if it makes a difference on mine.
On mine you can take one arm off (it's under tension) and wind it one or two turns more to tighten it up. It's a two person on ladders job (one on each end). Be careful of the coach when you rotate the arm. It's easy to do using the arm as a lever. Once you wind it the other ladder person can come to your end to help reattach the arm.

I use the canvas water proofer too

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA U60 Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm not sure this idea would be practical for a slide that long. My longest slide is 12'. I made two 6' supports, and stick one in from each end. Yours would have to be 9' long each. I guess you could add another set of legs in the middle of each support. That should work OK!

I haven't had any problem with winds. The fabric is stretched tight over the supports and so far, so good!

When I put them together, I push the pipes firmly into the legs on each end, and haven't had a problem with them pulling off while I am taking them out. Sometimes I have a little problem getting the pipes out of the legs to store them. I have to wiggle them side-to-side while twisting them out!

If we're just going to be at a CG for a few days and no rain is forecast, I don't bother putting up the supports.
Thanks Joe. We spend our summers basically in one spot and we do get some days of constant rain and stiff winds. We also have a storage unit for all ur rv stuff we can store rather than taking it home with us....saves on storage space in the mh.

I would think that even with my 18' slide, I wouldn't have to raise the entire topper and leaving a couple of feet on each end wouldn't create a rain puddling effect. However, with the stiff winds that area of topper would probably really be flapping. So maybe two 9' sections would be best.

I will try Ray's Scotch Guard trick first and if that fails then I'll try yours with the PVC.

Thanks to both of you.... great info.

Ron
Old 05-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Well duh! Why didn't I think of that? Lol Guess I was thinking bigger.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post

I have not noticed this with the combo. I will have to see if it makes a difference on mine.
Let me back up. If you have the crappy Carefree fabric that stretches out, sags, frays at the edges, etc. YES, chances are water will pool in the center regardless of whether the window awing portion has been deployed or not.

I had my topper/awning fabric changed out this past fall because the Carefree replacements were a disaster after 3 years of use. I now have new fabric that was custom made by Stone Vos Inc (Chris Throgmartin) and those new toppers do NOT collect any water in the centers when the window awning portion has been deployed. They will collect water when just the slides are deployed but that is expected. So if that does happen I just lower the front of the coach to drain the water off of the toppers before stowing them for travel.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
Great idea. If it works for you go for it! May do that myself.
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #26

My Discovery FWS pools badly. When I retract the slide I have to do it slowly or the droop causes the fabric to get caught under the seal of the slide. Also, I get water on the top of the slide from the topper and when retracted I've gotten a shower when I hit the brakes. When the topper is full of war we I havee to retract the skid every slowly to get the water off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Can you tell me why it matters whether water pools or not? I have a FWS on my Discovery, and it doesnt care if water is on the topper or not. It will eventually run off or dry. Additionally, I can imagine the damage if you forget to remove whatever device you use before retracting the slide. Dont say it wont happen, cause stuff happens to the best of them.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I also have used tether balls for years. Work great and line with handle hangs over the back side of the slide and when you do walk around before leaving you always see it.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #28

Original topic poster. The reason we determined that we actually had a problem was the fact that when canvas has water on one side, and something touches it on the opposite side, it will pass the water thru the canvas. Such was the case. The pooling was enough to droop the topper until it touched the roof of the slide. Water leaked thru. The 10-year old sealing tape on the slide roof had a flaw that allowed the resulting puddle to pass water into the cupboards on the inside of the slide. It showed up dripping from the sconce light on the D/S wall of the slide. Not good!

Whatever you do, I'd try not to do anything long term that might permanently deform the shape of the cover to the point that the problem will only get worse.

I like the idea of a superior material for the topper. And I like the idea of the scotch guard approach, if and only if the topper will drain in the first place.

Great ideas. Great discussion. Thank you all! And in summary, after many years of trying a myriad of solutions, my recent and brand new PVC solution really has proven itself in several pretty serious south Texas storms in the past couple of weeks. I'm very happy. My posting was intended to share the success.

Cheers, all!
K7JV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide