RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
How many of you are unhappy with their backup cameras that are mounted in-dash? This is our third motorhome. The previous two had their backup cameras mounted overhead. This is the first in dash camera we have had - but we are finding that the picture is WORSE than poor from this camera. Is this normal - or are there others who are dissatsfied with their camera performance -AND if so .. what have you replaced it with and WHERE in your Monaco was it installed?

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
How many of you are unhappy with their backup cameras that are mounted in-dash? This is our third motorhome. The previous two had their backup cameras mounted overhead. This is the first in dash camera we have had - but we are finding that the picture is WORSE than poor from this camera. Is this normal - or are there others who are dissatsfied with their camera performance -AND if so .. what have you replaced it with and WHERE in your Monaco was it installed?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Oh goody. Another modification-project. Hey 'Bama, where's that chainsaw you had?

IIRC, your Dip has just about the same dash setup as my Endeavor, and the monitor is stuck down low by your right elbow, correct? As a retired Human-Factors engineer, I thought it almost impossible to 'glance at' without a concerted effort to turn and tilt my head. Not exactly conducive to maintaining an awareness of traffic/etc. And, the viewing angle is so steep a lot of the picture is washed-out and dim (try looking at it straight-on and then off-angle) down there.

So, I removed it from the dash (leaving a big hole, but we'll get to that in a minute) and put it on its little stand at the upper-right corner of the dash. I did have to drill a hole in the top-corner of the pretty plastic fascia (which hurt a lot to do) for the mounting-bolt), but the results are worth it. The wiring goes thru a small gap in the corner.

About the little stand - when we were doing the walk-thru with the salesguy, we found a bag of metal and plastic parts that no one could identify. Being a packrat, I naturally saved 'em. Then when I was doing the monitor project, it dawned on me that those parts were used for a stand-alone (ie, not in-dash mounted) setup. Ta-Da! Anyways, I'd think that, if you don't have the bag of parts, you could either whip up something similar (t'aint a tough concept for it to mount with) or call Monaco or even Weldex to get the parts.

While I was at it, I also moved the A/C vent up from where it was creating icicles on my right knee into part of the hole left by the monitor. As far as rest of the hole, that was very simple. I filled it in with a piece of black nauga-hide backed by a flat piece of plastic I had lying around. T'aint a perfect match (it's hard to find genuine naugas in the wild these days with a dark burl skin) but I'm usually the only one that sees it.

Another member here has suggested swapping the radio for the monitor. It could work, but not sure of the amount of cutting/drilling involved yet. Perhaps he'll chime in here....

I've read about other members who've mounted their monitors on the upper-left side of the dash instead, with the idea being it's more inline with their eye-gaze then while looking at the mirrors. I tried mine there to see if I'd like it, but concluded the sunlite coming in from the big windows would washout the picture too much for my taste. It is a good concept, tho.

I also have a Garmin GPS that I mounted above the monitor as a backup for the big GPS running on the laptop, which is on a Jotto-Stand at the corner of the dash (You'd think I hate to get lost or something). Actually, the Garmin is better at telling me which lane I need to be in when getting ready to turn at an intersection, while the big one gives a better 'big picture' of where we are. It's also hooked to the overhead tv, so's wife can monitor our progress.

I'm on dialup for the present, but will try to post pics if I can.

As far as quality, I'd say that's subjecitve. I'd really like a better picture, but it's not much different than the others I've seen so that may be the nature of the beast.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:19 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I thought about swapping the back-up monitor with the radio, but like you said, I think the viewing angle would be bad. I had another thought. I keep my laptop on top of the dash (above the radio) to display GPS and VMSPc info. I called Weldex to see if the camera could output to the laptop. They didn't know. Any thoughts on that possibility?
Flyer
Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Have had problems with my camera, on one day, off one day. Decided take coach to Wakausa, In factory svc dept. Camera did not work from Louisiana to Indiana. Day of appointment, camera worked fine. Next day on leaving for home, camera quit working. I depend of camera to keep eye on toad!! I turned around went back to factory, they mailed new camera for me to have installed when I got back home. My jacks did same as camera, worked fine while factory was testing jacks, I got 200 miles from factory and like to have never got jacks to retract!!

2005 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
Workhorse
Blue Ox-2001 Dodge 4x4
co-pilot 'Bubbles' toy poodle
ladyrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ok.. the backup camera is at the forefront here at home again. We also had a problem with the camera besides the location of the camera. The angle IS ALL WRONG!. You cannot adjust it up far enough to even see the back of the tow vehicle so you know it is safe to make lane changes. The location and housing of the cam has it straight down. (Uh-factory-I know what the back of my coach looks like...thank you very much) We might be able to see half of the toad when we adjust the camera up as far as it goes.
DH (SacsTC) has found a solution...albeit ..a little "body work" is involved.(Don't get all excited 'Bama -no sawzall was used!). He is building up a deeper fiberglass camera lens base. It changes the angle of the camera so you can see the bumper and a GOOD distance behind the rig.(You do need 2 longer screws) I will make sure I get pics before he permanently mounts it to the MH ....hopefully Monaco will fix this problem on the newest rigs...

Old 01-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I use a laptop on my dash to monitor my GPS and VMSpc program (engine instruments). I spoke with an installer of backup cameras (RVcams.com) who was familiar with the Weldex system and said users consider it to be mediocre. My question to him was "could I output the backup camera to my laptop?" He said it was possible, but Weldex mirrors it's image at the monitor and not at the camera (the camera image would appear backwards if it were not mirored). He thought CompUsa sold a video capture device to get from the Weldex camera (component video) to the PC, but was not sure about the mirroring factor. So That's where I'm at.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
MM -

Definitely sounds like there's some kind of installation problem with yours.

It was kind of a 'gee-whiz' toy when I first got it and played with moving it up and down, but I was always able to get it pointed from just-about straight down (at the hitch et al) to away off in the distance behind the toad. However, I haven't had the housing apart (yet!!) but presume it to be similar to yours.

Could the mount have been installed upside-down?

Hi Flyer - haven't seen ya on of late. Stay safe!

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ronboc...
We did think of everything you mentioned and checked it out.
SacsTC said it looked like they created the housing unit on CAD program - and when it went to production- a reverse image is what was created. It is like we would have to turn it inside out to get it right.
DH (SacsTC) did check out a lot of the other new rigs housings ...but they are all different.
What he is actually doing is changing the angle of the back side of the housing (the side that goes up against the coach). He is changing it from abt 15 degrees to abt 60 degrees so that the housing will be tipped up a little more.
We have checked it out and we can see as far as we need to-from the hitch to out past the toad!!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Uh-oh, then I did a bad thing by telling RonNBama that you needed him and his sawzall RIGHT AWAY. I think he said he'd be there first thing Monday morni.... oh-no, he's already finished.

Bummer

Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ummmm, ok. But in their infinite wisdom, WHY does the DOT think that was a mandate? I'm not bashing Monaco here, just trying to figure out the feds ...

If'n you don't pull a toad, what possible good is a monitor that looks at the dirt on your rear-bumper? And if you are pulling a toad, it's quite obvious from the overall road-feel whether or not it's still back there.

Besides, the monitors that are available these days are a far dim cry from a HD quality picture, too. So you can't see if a pin or cable has worked itself loose, in any case.

Might as well go back to working on my taxes, makes about as much sense.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #12

The location of the monitor for my backup camera is not such a big issue. It's right in front of me in my '00 Diplomat. The viewing angle of the existing camera is an issue. It works o.k. for backing up, but not for use going down the road other than checking to make sure the toad is still there :-). An RV buddy of mine is making a new camera mount for his '01 Dip that will house two cameras. The monitors have two camera inputs already. He's going to make two of them while he's at it and I'm going to install one on mine too. I think the biggest challenge once that's done will be to get a new cable up to the front of the coach.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ok- first of ...How did you guys convince SacsTC that he needed to use a Sawzall with this project?
Here area few pics of the Backup Camera Modification...
You will also find some more pics in My Photos section.

The above pic is of the modification-unpainted. You can also see the strofoam that stuck to the inside of the fiberglass

The above picture is showing the new angle of the downside. We now see just the bumper (along with ladder and bricke planter on the right side) instead of seeing ALL ot hte backeside of the coach.

That is a view of it painted...

There is another picture of the view all the way down the street that I am awaiting aproval from the mods.. I will post that one later.
There are more photos you can see here

Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #14

monacomama, thanks for the pics! That gives me some ideas for my coach.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote