Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #1

Portable Satellite Hookup

Hello Again

My objective is to route satellite TV Signal from my Portable (Tripod) Dish to the Entertainment Receiver in our 2006 Monaco Camelot.
The owners speaks generally about a Roof mount system, but not a portable one..
I connected the Portable Satellite Dish Cable to its "Satellite Connector" (Sat/Cbl/Phone plate within the Basement SaniBay)

In the Entertainment Area above the Driver's position, I see the "Satellite Receiver Connection" plate which has 3 connectors, labled as:
i) "Ext. Input", ii) "Roof Input", and iii) "To Video Switch".
The Owner's Manual speaks to these connections as pertaining to the Roof Mount Prewire.
Are these connections also used for the signal coming from the lower bay?
If so, which connector goes TO the satellite receiver? And, does the cable FROM the satellite receiver connect to the "TO VIDEO SWITCH" connector?
If these (3) connectors aren't used, what are the correct routings?
Thanks for your assistance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The External Input should be the basement SAT connector. If the wiring hasn't been modified it would feed your receiver. The output of your receiver would connect to the SAT IN on the back of the Video Switch and then you use the buttons to select which TV you want to feed it to.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Second: Ext is the lower plate. ROOF is a wire up on (or in) the roof, and TO SWITCH is the RF out from your sat receiver to your box of many buttons.

That is a very well wired rig

Only possible complaint and I stress POSSIBLE is what cable they hooked the external input with.. Should be (And very likely is) RG-6.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Second: Ext is the lower plate. ROOF is a wire up on (or in) the roof, and TO SWITCH is the RF out from your sat receiver to your box of many buttons.

That is a very well wired rig

Only possible complaint and I stress POSSIBLE is what cable they hooked the external input with.. Should be (And very likely is) RG-6.
Thanks wa8yxm
So --------- RG-6 from "EXT INPUT" connector goes to Satellite Receiver, right?
And, another RG-6 goes from Satellite Receiver "To Video Switch" connector?
I'll give that a try the next time we set up.
Thanks a Bunch
Rudy
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006camelot View Post
Hello Again

My objective is to route satellite TV Signal from my Portable (Tripod) Dish to the Entertainment Receiver in our 2006 Monaco Camelot.
The owners speaks generally about a Roof mount system, but not a portable one..
I connected the Portable Satellite Dish Cable to its "Satellite Connector" (Sat/Cbl/Phone plate within the Basement SaniBay)

In the Entertainment Area above the Driver's position, I see the "Satellite Receiver Connection" plate which has 3 connectors, labled as:
i) "Ext. Input", ii) "Roof Input", and iii) "To Video Switch".
The Owner's Manual speaks to these connections as pertaining to the Roof Mount Prewire.
Are these connections also used for the signal coming from the lower bay?
If so, which connector goes TO the satellite receiver? And, does the cable FROM the satellite receiver connect to the "TO VIDEO SWITCH" connector?
If these (3) connectors aren't used, what are the correct routings?
Thanks for your assistance.
On our 2006 Diplomat, which may not be like your coach, a short section of RG-6 comes from the satellite receiver antenna input and is connected to the "Roof Input" jack. If we want to use a portable dish we connect the RG-6 from that dish to the Sat input in the outside bay. That connection goes to the "Ext Input" jack on the three jack plate in the entertainment area. We then have to disconnect the RG-6 from the Sat receiver that goes to the "Roof Input" and move it to the "Ext Input". On our coach the dish antenna input to the Sat receiver does not involve the Video Switch. You must be careful with the antenna connections on dish antenna because the Sat receiver supplies voltage to the dish antenna. The video output of the Sat receiver can go to the Video switch on some coaches but I would not connect the antenna input of the Sat receiver to the video switch. Not wise. We disconnected the video output of the Sat receive from the video switch and go straight from the Sat receiver to the front television. If we decide to install a second Sat receiver we will locate it near the bedroom television and go straight to the television.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
In my coach, the cable from the basement to the receiver area was RG-59 not RG-6. The run is around 45 feet and mostly it works. If, however, you get marginal reception, you may want to run a separate RG-6 from the basement to the receiver. My external antenna (Winegard Carryout) has two outputs, so I ran a second line. Under some conditions, I found the new "home run" cable worked better than the one installed in the coach. FWIW.

Don

Tags
satellite