Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Potential damage my drive axle?

Folks,
To avoid potential falling heavy tree limbs due to the ongoing heavy rains / winds here in Silicon Valley, two days ago I moved our 1995 38’ Dynasty to the street. Our neighborhood streets are paved but the parkway is not, leaving me to park drivers side on street surface and pax side on dirt ... which is now heavily saturated and ... yep, slowly sinking :-(

Intending to reverse out of the depressions I have put down boards on the pax side that the PO made / used over the years.

My question is this:

How seriously am I risking damage to the drive axle by basically using one side of drive wheels to back out? (I’m using reverse in the theory it’s geared better for this than fwd ... if I should use a fwd gear, please advise.)

I have zero experience with this so appreciate your experienced feedback.

Thx in advance.
Rad
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'one side of drive wheels' . Isn't the other side going to be driving on boards?
Old 02-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

The torque from the engine will go to the tire with the least amount of traction. That's how rear differentials work.

Each side can handle what your putting to it, as long as you don't spin the free tire at high speeds.

Reverse may not be a lower gear then low, in foward.

Give it a try but if you get deeper, it may be time for a tow truck.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'one side of drive wheels' . Isn't the other side going to be driving on boards?
Thx for the reply.

the driver side wheels are on
street / asphalt so they’re on “regular” surface while the pax side is on saturated ground.

EDIT: Transmission is an Allison MD 3060 ... if any know gearing details.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The torque from the engine will go to the tire with the least amount of traction. That's how rear differentials work.

Each side can handle what your putting to it, as long as you don't spin the free tire at high speeds.

thx for the feedback, I’ll try to keep my wits about me :-)
Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would first try to drive out going forward. Do not turn the steering wheel sharply until it gets rolling. If it spins and does not move, then try reverse.
You may have to rock it back and forth a few times going from Drive to Reverse. Just make sure the rear tires stop spinning and you step on the brake before you shift to the opposite direction.
Good luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Maybe it's just me overthinking it, but wouldn't you normally get your best traction going forward? I know that at low speeds there's not much weight transfer, but surely there's some.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
folks,

Thx for the feedback, very much appreciated. Using the graduated board the PO made I reversed out as if on normal surface ... I’m sure it was the street traction that did it.

thx again for the feedback.
Rad
Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #9

A stuck MH is very hard to get moving. An Allison is not like a standard tranny nor like a car transmission. Do you have traction control? Don't get excited and gun it. I would put boards on both sides.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
A stuck MH is very hard to get moving. An Allison is not like a standard tranny nor like a car transmission. Do you have traction control? Don't get excited and gun it. I would put boards on both sides.
Thx very much and please note my finalizing post ... it backed out feeling no different than normal.

EDIT: i measured the right drive wheel divot and the outer wheel was 4 1/2”, inside 2”ish.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers

I was at Perry Georgia and the fields really got muddied up. Even cars were getting stuck.
Sometimes another option is to pop a coldie and hang out for another day and let it dry.
Once your tires break the surface, when it’s real wet, it’s a mud bath for days.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
I was at Perry Georgia and the fields really got muddied up. Even cars were getting stuck.
Sometimes another option is to pop a coldie and hang out for another day and let it dry.
Once your tires break the surface, when it’s real wet, it’s a mud bath for days.
yep, I get that!

we’ve had several “atmospheric river” weather these past couple of weeks so our ground is very saturated - some local areas are being evacuated - and with rain forecasted to continue for at least the next week our ground isn’t drying out anytime soon. better to get it out and back in our driveway sooner rather than later.

I **do** like your “cold one”approach, though ;-)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #13

Glad the OP got out. I park in the grass and have been surprised at how much mud I can get thru, although filling in the ruts after is not so much fun. A couple of times was not able to move and the cat litter trick made the difference of being able to get out. $20-25 is better than a tow truck.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #14

I once had to rock a 40' city bus out of a snow filled swale. It took 3 or 4 minutes primarily because the Allison transmission was so slow shifting between gears. It took me a few minutes to get the rhythm down. IIRC, I used second gear instead of first as I was taught to do in a car many years before.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote