Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #1

Potential Under Bed Storage

When the rear slide is closed I can see valuble space under the bed which could be used for rarely needed items like the Costco sized TP or paper towels, or perhaps my dehydrator which we use for making backpacking food.

I'm not talking about the already accessible space at the foot but by the head. It is separated in the middle from the opening foot portion with a center piece where the hinges are attached. There are two openings at the headboard end which look like hand holds. However, when pulled the plywood(?) does not come up. This piece is fully wrapped in a covering and the covering goes around the plywood and between the upright panel supporting it. No screws are evident.

Has anyone salvaged this space and can offer some advice. If not I'll just rip out the piece and replace it with hinges to the center piece. And yes I'll isolate/protect any mechanism underneath.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Being the self proclaimed "king of extra storage space" I have off course recovered that space.

The plywood that you see coveres, amongst other areas, the well that houses the slide-out mechanism for the bed. This area will have to be covered seperately by a 15-18 inch wide piece of plywood, and you will need to add seperate supports for this. Put a couple of screws in this smaller piece of plywood so that you still have access to this area. This is a small job.

Under the plywood of my slideout is a carpeted area which I have additionally insulated with some of this shiny aluminium "bubble wrap" that is sold at RV stores. There are in the area a few wires and an electrical connecton box fixed directly to the carpeted area, but wires are long enough to be relocated along the edge of the bed frame.

I did this modification about 2 month ago and have had no ill effect as a result hereof. The space I gained was significant.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #3

Thanks Dane for your response. I spent some more time looking at this issue earlier today and discovered that this is going to be much easier than I thought. First the space I got a peek at was not under the head of the bed. I discovered that below that panel was a three inch space and then a very thick panel below that. Not worth messing with.

I removed two screws in the shallow panel by the foot of the bed. (We store our seldom used bedspread here.) Eureka, this is the open space that I saw. Three potential areas, 19 x 27 x 15H, 10 x 13 x 15H - probably not useful, and 13 x 14 x 13H.

One junction box will have to be moved as Dane commented and some spacing brackets to be made for the 13 x 14 x 13H space to allow movement of the mechanism without interference. The trick will be assembling the storage container in the larger space - either by assembling it in place or by temporarily removing some of the hardware and wiring harnesses. We'll see as this will be a late summer project when I can borrow some needed tools since I sold all of my woodworking equipment when we went full timing.

The coach is now a little lighter after all of the construction debris was removed!
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Be very careful with the weight of material you put in that space. We had it loaded pretty heavy and broke the teeth off the drive mechanism. We've since traded weight for bulk and hav't had a problem since.
Ron
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
Be very careful with the weight of material you put in that space. We had it loaded pretty heavy and broke the teeth off the drive mechanism. We've since traded weight for bulk and hav't had a problem since.
Ron
Good advice from Pusherpilot - I will keep this in mind.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote