RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Power Gear tank leak

Did anyone of you ever take off the Power Gear hydraulic reservoir tank or do anyone have a picture/drawing of how the tank is attached including o-rings etc? I am talking about the tank for the jacks.

My tank is leaking and as far as I can see it leaks from a flexible connection where I believe that a large o-ring sits between the tank and the rest of the system.

Under the fluid weep hole at the far end of the tank there is a bolt close to the bottom of the tank. Is this a drain or does this has anything to do with the way the tank is attached?

Did anyone successfully tighten the fixing of the tank thereby curing a leak?

I did make a support for the tank but this only made the leak worse. Maybe I raised the tank with the support thereby worsening the issue?

Many questions - sorry about that - but I know that some of you out there (as usual) will know the answers.

Thanks guy's

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Seems to be a common problem and can be fixed by supporting the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1573_1.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	3601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1574_1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	3602  

Old 03-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
I did make a support for the tank but this only made the leak worse. Maybe I raised the tank with the support thereby worsening the issue?
Hi Del

In my case the support hasn't been the answer but I am sure that it will help prevent future leaks once I get this leak sorted out.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Under the fluid weep hole at the far end of the tank there is a bolt close to the bottom of the tank. Is this a drain or does this has anything to do with the way the tank is attached?
I believe that is only a drain.

You can get a variety of technical documents, including a service manual, HERE

But I don't think they go into the level of detail that you're looking for.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #5

Hi Dane, I'll tell you about my history with the Power Gear tank. From your pics it looks the same as my system. I started noticing small drips of fluid on the concrete where I stored our MH. These drips were directly below the reservoir tank. Upon further inspection I discovered that the tank had a small stress fracture on the bottom near the inlet port that mated to the solenoid valves (2" crack, very thin). If I flexed the tank with my hand the fluid would then leak out at a much faster rate. It was obvious that the fracture was from the tank bouncing while I was traveling up and down the highways, I should mention that the tank was not supported out at the end where the drain plug is located (This creates a lot of stress with 1.6 gallons of ATF fluid in the tank). I called Power Gear to order a new tank and they said the tank was discontinued and that the only available retrofit was a new system for $1,700.00. I removed the tank and Mig welded the crack myself. I then remounted the tank and supported it with channel iron I bought from Home Depot. The channel was bolted from one frame member to another so that it was solid and had no flexing whatsoever. I secured the tank with rubber belting at the bottom where it rested on the channel and put a large hose clamp around the tank and channel to keep everything from bouncing. I'm sorry I can't post pics but I don't have the MH at my home, it is in storage, but I hope that I have been descriptive enough to help you understand my problem and how I solved it. Most folks don't have access to a Mig, but if you have the stress crack that I did, I hope that you have a qualified welder in your area to weld the crack for you. Best wishes!
Kent
KentandJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #6

Dane, Sorry, I forgot to mention that I believe your support has lifted the end of the reservoir and therefore spread the crack farther apart causing more leakage. Only a guess, but it's what happened to my tank.
Kent
KentandJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Kent

Thank you for your long and educating reply - I much appreciate this.

I think that your theory very well could be right. Last night I went out and took off the support that I made - again put a bowl underneath, and this morning I went to see how much it had leaked. Result: Not much at all.

Next step will be to see if I can locate a crack in the tank or if the leak comes from the connection to the motor part. The support will not go on again until I have done a bit more research and possible repair.

Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dane,

My leak was on the tube seam. You are correct, if you over support it it will cause damage also.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dane,

You may have already seen this thread Power Gear Tank Support about leaks but just in case you didn't it gives some ideas on how others have supported the tank after it was fixed.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #10

Can anyone tell me how the tank comes off the valve assembly? Does it screw off?

I have this leak and need to fix it.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Didn't you buy some of that "super-duper" tape at "Q"? If so, that should hold it till we can take it off in March. The fluid isn't under pressure...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Didn't you buy some of that "super-duper" tape at "Q"? If so, that should hold it till we can take it off in March. The fluid isn't under pressure...
Hal - I did buy some "magic" tape but haven't tried it yet.

My posts about the tank is now just over 2 years old.

I never took my tank off. I just modified the support I made so that it didn't push the tank upwards. Since then I probably have had the absolute smallest of leaks because occasionally I do top the tank up with a minute amount of fluid. The problem is not big enough to make me want to try and fix something that is (almost) not broken.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
SORRY, I noted the question from yesterday and paying no attention to earlier dates, assumed an answer was in order....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
SORRY, I noted the question from yesterday and paying no attention to earlier dates, assumed an answer was in order....
Your answer is always appreciated - no matter what