Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Power Gear Tank Support

I was never impressed by the Power Gear tank hanging in mid air with no support. After reading a post that some have broken the weld and started leaking it was time to do something. It was a busy Saturday for me. In the morning I installed the Progressive Industries HW50C and spent a good portion of the afternoon making and installing a support for the Power Gear tank.

This is a photo showing the tank before support. Notice that the tank is hanging in mid air and will bounce up and down on rough roads. This will cause the end of the tank welded to the pump to flex and lead to failure.

The next photo shows the home made support fabricated from 2 inch angle. The angle is cut to a 10 inch length and then a 1 3/4 inch notch is cut from each end. On the long side of the angle measure in 4 inches from each end and 3/4 inch back from the edge and make two punch marks. Drill each punch mark with a 1/4 inch bit. Using a saw remove the metal from the hole to the edge to form two slots. Dress all edges with a file and if desired paint flat black.

Here is a photo of the parts required for the tank support. The home made support, a hose clamp that will close to 7 inches and open to about 9 inches. The two clamps are 1/4 Beam Clamps found in the electrical department at Home Depot. The two unpainted pieces are the metal removed from the angle. At first I thought they might be needed for shims under the pump but that was not the case.

Top View of support installed:

Bottom view showing installed support:

I hope this helps someone.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
My 2007 Scepter had 6K miles when it developed a leak at the pump/tank weld. Monaco replaced the entire unit under warranty at the factory in Oregon. The shop that services the coach had the same concerns as you and did the same thing, leveled the tank and fabricated a support. It looks like you came up with a vrey clean solution.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #3

I have an 07 Safari 36PDQ. I am on my 3rd unit. I put a support strap under the first replacement but didn't tie it down to it. I just replaced the unit again. The new tank is plastic and square. I will try a bottom support and securing it to the support to reduce upward movement. Powergear has been no support--they just don't want to talk to you.
Ron Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When my coach was 8 months old and I mentioned the continual wetness at the PowerGear unit, the factory installed this bracket, hanging it from above as there was nothing but air below the pump.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I also had a leak coming from a cracked weld joint, I cleaned it up good and put JB weld on it, so far so good, now after reading this post I'll put brace on it to. Thanks for the good info....Bruce
Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hi Bob

Nice work !!

This looks like another "must do" project for my next trip.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

I've joined the club of leaking tanks. Dealer has a call into Power Gear about warranty and replacement.

While I'm waiting I'll get the support ready that you have shown. I do have a question about the attachment of it. You used beam clamps. Any concern about them vibrating loose? Did you consider drilling a hole and using bolts with lock washers?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
Bob,

I've joined the club of leaking tanks. Dealer has a call into Power Gear about warranty and replacement.

While I'm waiting I'll get the support ready that you have shown. I do have a question about the attachment of it. You used beam clamps. Any concern about them vibrating loose? Did you consider drilling a hole and using bolts with lock washers?
Bob,

You could drill and bolt the support if desired. I just thought the no drill approach was nice. I used those same beam clamps to add a second fuel filter on the frame of a truck I once owned. I did not want to drill in the frame of the truck and used the same clamp method. I sold the truck after putting 89,000 miles on it. The clamps were still there and never came loose.

another Bob
Old 07-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
another Bob,
Good job and a great solution. Will copy your design and install when we get home this weekend.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Fantastic post. I checked mine, and although I have the square tank it still was sagging 1" below the frame. I completed my mod last night following your lead. Maybe Monaco Mamma could move this to quick and easy mods so it can become a permanent mod.Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay Bob, You motivated me to make one for mine. I always save metal from parts I throw away. I was able to weld one up today from an old garage door arm. Now I just have to polish the hydraulic unit to make it shine like yours.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:54 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Okay Bob, You motivated me to make one for mine. I always save metal from parts I throw away. I was able to weld one up today from an old garage door arm. Now I just have to polish the hydraulic unit to make it shine like yours.
I am honored to have inspired a noble such as yourself Don. Don't forget to put some wax on the tank!

Bob
Old 07-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Just in case some of you don't know it, the way the jack control detects that the jacks are all up is by the amount of fluid returned to the tank. This is accomplished by a float in the tank. That makes me think that having the tank level can't hurt that process and may prevent false "jacks down" alarms. Also make sure that you do not fill the tank when the jacks are down. The correct level can only be measured when the jacks are all up.

Bob
Old 07-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I am off on a trip next week and I finally got around to making the tank support. I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post pictures and preventing a possible disaster for me. Thanks again -----
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote