RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #1

Power loss--2000 Dynasty 350 ISC

My coach has always seemed to have difficulty towing my 5200# Silverado 4WD. It would lose speed on some modest hills. But lately the problem with power seems to be getting worse. Yesterday, the coach with NO toad dropped to 35 MPH on a modest long hill. Boost was normal. Engine coolant temp normally increases from 180 to 195 under those conditions, but it barely rose at all on the climb.

I would normally expect a fuel filter problem, but I changed them just prior to the trip. I'm using 25 mic primary and 10 mic secondary. I have successfully used 10 mic primary and 2 mic secondary in the past with no fuel issues.

Also, boost pressure is the same as it has always been--about 24 PSI max, which seems to me to indicate that there is no fuel starvation.

Air cleaner is less than a year old. All hoses tight. And to repeat, boost pressure is normal.

Checked the exhaust brake and it is operating normally and is definitely not stuck closed. Muffler is one of the Aero stainless steel straight-thru types.

My friend has the same year coach and engine, but weighs more. He says he pulls his nearly identical truck with no problem maintaining speed on hills.

It seems almost as if I am not getting full throttle, but I performed the "accelerator pedal calibration" procedure of--Key on, engine not started, slowly depress pedal to limit and slowly release, repeated three times. No change.

I'm out of ideas.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
My coach has always seemed to have difficulty towing my 5200# Silverado 4WD. It would lose speed on some modest hills. But lately the problem with power seems to be getting worse. Yesterday, the coach with NO toad dropped to 35 MPH on a modest long hill. Boost was normal. Engine coolant temp normally increases from 180 to 195 under those conditions, but it barely rose at all on the climb.

I would normally expect a fuel filter problem, but I changed them just prior to the trip. I'm using 25 mic primary and 10 mic secondary. I have successfully used 10 mic primary and 2 mic secondary in the past with no fuel issues.

Also, boost pressure is the same as it has always been--about 24 PSI max, which seems to me to indicate that there is no fuel starvation.

Air cleaner is less than a year old. All hoses tight. And to repeat, boost pressure is normal.

Checked the exhaust brake and it is operating normally and is definitely not stuck closed. Muffler is one of the Aero stainless steel straight-thru types.

My friend has the same year coach and engine, but weighs more. He says he pulls his nearly identical truck with no problem maintaining speed on hills.

It seems almost as if I am not getting full throttle, but I performed the "accelerator pedal calibration" procedure of--Key on, engine not started, slowly depress pedal to limit and slowly release, repeated three times. No change.

I'm out of ideas.
I know you're a knowledgeable guy as you've answered many a question from others so you may already have checked this: the next thing I'd try is to check to see if there are any trouble codes which might cause the engine to de-rate.

I didn't know about the pedal-calibrate method. (I'll probably try it myself just to make sure it's doing what it should.) Could it be that there's some bad connection in the electrical circuit between pedal and ECm so that the ECM isn't getting what it should? I have a PDF of the umpteen-page 2003 Dynasty wiring diagram, if that'll help.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Van,
By chance do you have any monitoring capability like Scan gauge or Silverleaf. I use a Silverleaf displayed on a small laptop, pretty robust system. Sure would be nice to know what kind of touque & HP you are seeing.

Sounds like you've checked all the obvious causes. You say your boost is about 24 psi, which is what mine is, do you notice if it fluctuates at all.

You might try completely disconnecting the Pacbrake wiring and tie back the gate valve to take this out of the picture completely.

Other then changing fuel filters as the easiest/cheapest option, right now I have no other suggestions. Hopefully someone will chime in and help you solve this problem.

BTW, I have the same engine and I'm sure my coach is heavier then yours. Aalthough my coach does loose mph on steep grades I can usually outpace other trucks/RV's.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #4

Jim and Van, The Silverleaf system I have, VMSpc, monitors engine load from the ECM, the HP and torque displayed is a figure computed from that load and the tables which VMSpc has for the engine you specify.

I do not know how the ECM would report load if, say, throttle input, is not right ... maybe it would show a lower that normal load if it wasn't getting the right throttle input.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I suggest you go to quickserve and confirm your normal boost. VMSpc shows about what quickserve says mine should be - ~27.5 psi..

Wastegate Pressure Setting
(BAR): 1.92
Turbo Model: HX40W
Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Sounds like you’ve coveted all the correct possibilities.
Brake pressure not releasing all the way making the brakes drag? Have you tempted your drums?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #7

Van,

I'm by no means an expert here but just trying to think of any plausible problem. Is tranny temp running normal or possibly higher? Could trans be slipping and cause some of the power to be " lost" within the tranny? Sure hope you can figure it out. It's aggravating when something isn't right!!

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them all out.

I'm on a four week trip and will not return until late October. The power loss is not so noticeable when I do not have a toad, so I may not get to unravel all this until I return home, but I will post my results.

Thanks again for all you guys taking time to respond.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My ISC lost power one time, it was the Cummins Transient Suppressor, didn't have a load at the time but was no doubt something was very wrong with power. I did get an alarm and engine code that led me to it.
Just an FYI
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Van, did you change the fuel filter that is on the passenger side of the motor, way up high? Hard to see and get too from underneath, but can be reached from under the bed. The reason I ask, a lot of us have missed that elusive FF, and it never get's changed!
I have the manual ISC and found a receipt from the PO for all the filters from NAPA, for all the filters for the big motor and the generator, and did not know about that hidden FF till I got to looking really close, and there it was, very hard to see, way up there from underneath! I was having a hard start problem, and found that filter was loose, and leaking fuel, had staining down the sides of it! Replaced it, no more problems!
I hope it is something simple like this!
You could also have your charge air cooler system pressure tested, where you put a low amount of pressure, around 25#'s, and see how long it takes to leak off! A very small leak can cause a loss of power!
Any diesel shop can preform this test, and it shouldn't be too costly!
All I got! Rail!
Old 10-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #11

On my 8.3 I had low power off the line and I changed the fuel return overflow valve
and that got my power up off the line but my turbo boost was low and my aftercooler
is loosing air big time. My hydraulic air cooler is leaking so I was getting a new aftercooler
any how. My boost was under 20 but I haven't been able to find out what my boost from
QuickServe Online is supposed to be. I just looked on QuickServe for loss of power and
there is a big list.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:01 PM   #12

350 ISC low power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post

m out of ideas.
I was having problem with power and bucking with my 2002 Monaco Windsor 40 PST 350 horsepower Cummins ISC.When I was installing a FASS fuel pump system I found the inlet fitting to the primary fuel filter stopped up with shredded plastic. I finally figured out it was the liner from the fuel line that had disintegrated because of the newer fuel in use. After I got the shredded plastic out it ran fine but I went ahead and instaled l the FASS fuel pump because I already had it. I have read that many other people have had to replace their CAPS fuel injection pump more than once which was probably because of this problem. Gates now has an updated fuel hose to take care of the later fuel composition. I have lost track of the numbers. In the Gates catalog the number for the old hoses has a note on it saying “not for use in manufacturing”.

79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cvx20 View Post
I found the inlet fitting to the primary fuel filter stopped up with shredded plastic. I finally figured out it was the liner from the fuel line that had disintegrated because of the newer fuel in use.”.

Is this the hose that goes into the primary fuel filter or did you find the obstruction at the lift pump? Can you just remove and inspect to see if there are these pieces of liner?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:08 AM   #14

the hose that goes into the primary fuel filter

79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power