Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Powergear hydraulic fluid tank

My Powergear hydraulic fluid tank for my leveling jacks is leaking. I have made supports for the tank years ago, but it has decided to leak nevertheless.

I am therefor Googling and searching for my options, and I have come across these pages from Powergear http://support.powergearus.com/techd...20Rev%20OA.pdf . It shows tanks in plastic, and in many ways it looks like my horizontally installed metal tank. There don't appear to be any reference to the metal tanks, but I was wondering if they now have made these plastic tanks as a straight swop for the metal ones?

Anyone knows anything about this?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have an 08 HR Endeavor with the plastic tank. I believe it is the first one shown... 2 gallon? I don't know if it originally came from the factory with a metal tank or the current plastic one. Only difference is that my tank is black, not white like in the pictures. Mine also may be leaking or it may have been over filled because it has fluid on the outside of the tank that looks like it's been there a while.... I just looked at this tank for the first time yesterday and I plan to clean it up and check the fluid level when it's better weather.
Thanks, Brian.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thank you for your reply Brian.

I would have thought that an 08 Endeavor would have come with a metal tank originally, but that is just a guess.

I have now send Powergear an e-mail asking if the plastic tanks can be installed as a straight swap for the metal tanks. I will keep you updated when I get a reply.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #4

I've only had the motorhome for about a month so it is very possible that it came from the factory with a metal tank that was replaced with the plastic one that it has now... I'm just a little confused because my tank looks exactly like the one in your attachment from powergear, (same sticker on the side and everything... ) except mine is black. It would probably be better if it was white because it would be easier to see the fluid level from outside the tank(?)

Brian.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The metal Powergear tank can usually be repaired. The normal leak is from vibration fractures in the neck area of the tank. If the tank is removed those fractures can be sealed by welding or brazing. I brazed mine 3 years ago and have had no further leakage problems.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
I have an 08 HR Endeavor with the plastic tank. I believe it is the first one shown... 2 gallon? I don't know if it originally came from the factory with a metal tank or the current plastic one. Only difference is that my tank is black, not white like in the pictures. Mine also may be leaking or it may have been over filled because it has fluid on the outside of the tank that looks like it's been there a while.... I just looked at this tank for the first time yesterday and I plan to clean it up and check the fluid level when it's better weather. Thanks, Brian.
My 2007 (metal tank) was doing the same thing and another post I found said to get a 3/4" X 6" schedule 80 nipple and extend filler hole so the fluid can't slop out. It works pretty slick but I remove the extension when I top the fluid off.
bprohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

That's a good idea, I'll look into installing an extension pipe when I get it cleaned up and check the fluid.

Brian.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is the quick reply from Power Gear:

Hello,
No, the plastic and metal do not interchange. What is the part number on the metal tank you are looking to replace?
Thank you.
Tony.

That leaves 2 options: New tank (probably expensive?) or find a man with extended welding skills.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dane (Henrik) Where are you ? Can you wait till you get back to the Gilbert area -- If so, we will take the tank off & have it welded here -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Bill - we have just arrived in Truckee, CA this afternoon. Tomorrow we will be on the ski slopes at Lake Tahoe.

The leak is getting worse but will hold up for a while I recon. If you know someone who have the ability to weld this kind of thin metal sheeting, I will take the tank off when I get to Superstition Mountain, and then drop by your place and see you. I do think it will take some delicate welding though.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
HB,
I'm sure Bill meant braze rather than weld. Brazing is done at a much lower temp. and isn't meant to melt the two pieces together like welding would.
Snow at Tahoe?
HM
PS - Google "brazing vs welding" for more info
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Is there anyway you can use JB Weld or another epoxy to temporally stop the leak?
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
Is there anyway you can use JB Weld or another epoxy to temporally stop the leak?
Dave - I think that I will get by until I get back to Phoenix. Another thing is that I am not best friends with JB weld, or any kind of glue for that matter, except for wood glue. I just can not seem to glue two things together.

Would you have any idea as to clean the tank once I get it off? I am sure that I would need to do some serious cleaning prior to warming the tank up for repair.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel fuel, then Simple Green -- Got both here -- William Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, power, tank