Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Pre-Purchase Advice (2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ)

This floor plan was only produced for a few short years but the floor plan is perfect for my wife and I.

I've love to hear from you if you own one. We are looking at a 2005 coach with < 40k miles for around $72k (pre negotiations). The coach is out of state so all I have seen at this point is pictures. The next step is to higher an inspector to review the coach obviously.

My wife asked me a question and didn't know the answer so I thought I'd bring it here. She simply asked, "being an older coach, are parts going to be easy to come by?" What has your experience been? I fairly handy and not afraid to get my hands dirty.

I also understand Monaco and Railmaster are now out of business. So, not being able to answer her question and the manufacturer no longer being in business has me wondering if we've picked out the right coach or not. I hear time and time again, pick out the floor plan and then the coach so I'm now I'm picking out the coach.

SavageCatHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #2

Monaco is still in business, just look em up. Roadmaster was their in-house chassis brand, no longer making chassis. As for parts, most things that move or grind against each other (engine, running gear, brakes) are available as Monaco sourced them from existing suppliers. Some other stuff may or may not be available. If its a nice coach, and checks out, we'll see you on the road.

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

The Monaco rights were bought by the Rev group when they went under. American Coach fell into the same fate, which is what I have. Most items are from 3rd party suppliers so there is still a large market out there for support ( Cummins, attwood, Norcold, Coleman, etc). RVChassisparts.com will probably have anything you need for the railmaster. That’s where I get my Spartan parts.

If you like the coach and it’s in well maintained condition I wouldn’t think twice about purchasing unit. Monaco made some really nice units back then and it should last a long time if maintained properly.

Good luck
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Potentially more of an issue, is that I believe that the Knight was built on the RR4R chassis, which has known issues with the trailing arm in the rear suspension.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco made great coaches! They made the chassis (Roadmaster) and the coach, so they had full design authority. At one time, they were the largest manufacturer.
As the others have told you, they are still in business but now owned by Rev Group.

The only caution I would have is that will be a rear radiator design. Just changing a fan belt will be difficult. Monaco made several other models with a side radiator that will be closely priced in that year group. Take a look at the Camelot, Windsor, Dynasty, and even Executives. You can also look at sister coaches built under the Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari names that will be nearly identical. All were owned and built by Monaco.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
Potentially more of an issue, is that I believe that the Knight was built on the RR4R chassis, which has known issues with the trailing arm in the rear suspension.
Is this a repair item or a recall item replaced with a new design? If recall, is there something I can visually see has been replaced? I can google this if you aren't sure but thought I'd ask.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

Monaco purchased Safari primarily for their chassis... Roadmaster, which was known to be an excellent product regardless of what it carried. As mentioned previously, there is one chassis in the line that had a few issues with the trailing arm.

In my experience, my order of importance was different than what you've described. I started with the chassis, then wanted to ensure that the coach builder had an excellent reputation. Then, of course, the floor plan must meet your needs and lifestyle.

I've known a lot of people with Monaco, but thinking back, I can't recall any close friends or family who owned a night Knight. As relates to your concerns about buying a used Monaco; I don't think you will have any serious issues! You're talking about a 13 year old RV... regardless of what brand you purchase I think the odds are the same for running into parts / supply issues.
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Monaco made great coaches! They made the chassis (Roadmaster) and the coach, so they had full design authority. At one time, they were the largest manufacturer.
As the others have told you, they are still in business but now owned by Rev Group.

The only caustion I would have is that will be a rear radiator design. Just changing a fan belt will be difficult. Monaco made several other models with a side radiator that will be closely priced in that year group. Take a look at the Camelot, Windsor, Dynasty, and even Executives. You can also look at sister coaches built under the Holiday Rambler, Beaver, and Safari names that will be nearly identical. All were owned and built by Monaco.
I've also read about the rear radiator design and how it can "suck up" road grim from under the coach and dirty the coils faster unlike the side mounted ones.

It's the floor plan we like. I've seen the sister floor plans by HR and Safari but I don't believe I've seen it under Beaver. I'll include that in my search. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You can download many of the legacy brochures and study the floor plans and options here.

https://www.monacocoach.com/brochures-download/get
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
You can download many of the legacy brochures and study the floor plans and options here.

https://www.monacocoach.com/brochures-download/get
Perfect, thanks. Do you happen to have a link for manuals (e.g. owner, maintenance, etc.)?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
I've known a lot of people with Monaco, but thinking back, I can't recall any close friends or family who owned a night Knight. As relates to your concerns about buying a used Monaco; I don't think you will have any serious issues! You're talking about a 13 year old RV... regardless of what brand you purchase I think the odds are the same for running into parts / supply issues.
Just for the sake of clarity, are you suggesting that it may be difficult to find parts for any coach that is 13 years old?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
The Knight went to the RR8R chassis in 2005. Same chassis as the Diplomat. Has never been a problem with the RR8R chassis except for the rotten Monroe shocks they put on them.

All rear radiator coaches are subject to clogging up the radiator. The Monaco design is less problematic than most since they stacked the CAC (intercooler) and the radiator on top of each other instead of sandwiching them.
I clean the radiator annually and honestly cannot say I have not flushed much of anything out with the exception of after the Alaska trip (lots of silty dirt).
Old 01-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageCatHV View Post
Just for the sake of clarity, are you suggesting that it may be difficult to find parts for any coach that is 13 years old?
I would do some research on the trailing arm problem. You can get parts from Source Engineering Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
You could ask them about the problem.
Where in Texas are you located?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageCatHV View Post
There should be no big problems finding parts.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, monaco, purchase